5/28/2019 - Tacoless Tuesday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
The local supermarket had scrod haddock, and I asked "What is scrod haddock?". I've always thought that scrod was a marketing term for small cod, and wondered if someone was crossbreeding fish. He explained that it meant small, with filets being less than 8 ounces. If it is spelled scrod, then it is cod, but if it is spelled schrod, then it's haddock. I think those are terms specific to that supermarket.

I baked the little filets of haddock with slices of tomatoes, lemon, and some black oil cured olives tossed around it. Sides were lemony basmati rice, garden salad.

Tonight was a small pot of green beans with onions, garlic, hot pepper flakes, potato chunks and ham chunks simmered until the potato was tender. Watermelon chunks for dessert.

Baby back ribs rubbed with my homemade rib rub, smoked in the stove top smoker (a mix of apple, hickory and mesquite smoke chip/dust) then basted with Heinz Kansas City Sweet & Smoky sauce and under the broiler to create bark. Sides are homemade mac salad and microwave steamed bi-colored corn on the cob.

ribs_052819_IMG_5850.jpg

Gazpacho with a roasted red bell, prosciutto, mozzarella, and basil panini.

Attachments

• 2019-05-28 20.09.10.jpg
    2019-05-28 20.09.10.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 125
For us, home ground chuck cheeseburger topped with grilled onions, mushrooms, and Swiss cheese. Once I have grilled to mushrooms and onions, I melt the cheese over the top then put it on the burger.

Mark

Tyler gets out of school at noon this week, since it's minimum days for the last week of school. We played baseball in the backyard on this beautiful day for hours and by the time he left at 5, I was tired. :ermm::LOL: I called out for Chinese delivery for dinner. :chef:

We're having Tri Tip sandwiches tonight, and Mexican Street corn casserole.
I mixed some Chimichurri sauce with the mayonnaise before toasting the buns...yummm.

We were going to have leftovers from yesterday's summery supper, but today is nothing like summer. A high of 56 with rain called for soup, so I cobbled a pot together from a number of items, made grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, and garden salads.

I just had a bacon and tomato grilled cheese sandwich tonight and some more watermelon. That was more for lunch (about 4pm) so maybe for real supper tonight I'll make a late night run to Jack in the Box about midnight.

I let the diner cook and do dishes last night, primarily because there was a fish on their menu I had never heard of, and inquiring minds want to know...
PANGASIUS - Pan-Fried and drowned in what they called a 'Lobster Sauce' ...It's mild, has a Catfish bent, but a fattier texture, more like Bluefish, if you recall that item, not seen in decades around here.
I'd order it again....

Croydon DinerPan Fried Pangasius.jpg

I let the diner cook and do dishes last night, primarily because there was a fish on their menu I had never heard of, and inquiring minds want to know...
PANGASIUS - Pan-Fried and drowned in what they called a 'Lobster Sauce' ...It's mild, has a Catfish bent, but a fattier texture, more like Bluefish, if you recall that item, not seen in decades around here.
I'd order it again....

View attachment 34998
You might want to reconsider eating that again. Apparently it's a species of shark catfish that comes from Vietnam and is often highly contaminated with heavy metals, including mercury.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/f-sf-cco050718.php

Yup !
I read that article yesterday before going........

Thing is, I read the same stuff about Tilapia when it first got big...... and then there's the "Issue" with farm-raised anything... you'll read about pathogens in the water, mercury, on and on........

Onthe news there's always an article such as "12 Things you should never put in your body" or something like it ...
Monday's offering; first item up was Pretzels.......

Then there's smoked meats, processed (Deli) meats, Canned Tomatoes, it goes on and on.....
if I only ate what I read as safe, I'd starve to death !
:LOL:

Last edited:
Yup !
I read that article yesterday before going........

Thing is, I read the same stuff about Tilapia when it first got big...... and then there's the "Issue" with farm-raised anything... you'll read about pathogens in the water, mercury, on and on........

Onthe news there's always an article such as "12 Things you should never put in your body" or something like it ...
Monday's offering; first item up was Pretzels.......

Then there's smoked meats, processed (Deli) meats, Canned Tomatoes, it goes on and on.....
if I only ate what I read as safe, I'd starve to death !
[emoji38]
For me, it depends on the source of what I'm reading. There's a lot of crap out there - that "12 Things" "article" is just clickbait - but the article about the pangasius is from the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It's made up of actual scientists - as a science teacher and program developer, my husband is a member and has been to conferences they sponsor. So that's one group I trust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom