5/7/2019 - Taco Tuesday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
To celebrate Siete de Mayo, which happens to fall on Taco Tuesday, we're having chicken fajitas. Yes, I know that for some a fajita is not the same as a taco, and that a fajita should be made with skirt steak, but we live in New England and don't care about such technicalities. :)

What's on your plate?

Crack slaw? Do tell.

Lots of recipe on the internet to choose from but this is what I usually do.

Fry and crumble 1/2 pound of hot breakfast sausage with a small diced onion and three or four cloves of minced garlic. Next, I add a 14-16 oz. bag of fresh coleslaw mix, 1 T sherry, 2T soy sauce, 1T toasted sesame oil, S&P to taste. I cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 6 or 7 minutes until the cabbage collapses. I remove the lid and stir, cook another 3 or 4 minutes uncovered to allow any moisture to evaporate and serve. Leftovers can be heated in the microwave.

Thanks for the reminder, Aunt Bea! I've seen it posted here before, and it does sound really good.

-------------------------
Tacos sound good, too - I think I'll go for a couple of tacos this evening. I have a small scoop of refried beans leftover from a couple of days ago, may as well use that up for a side. :yum:

Stove top cast iron grilled sirloin steak, Knorr rice side dish, grape tomato, mozzarella pearls, fresh garlic, fresh basil, olive oil, red wine vinegar and house seasoning salad.

steak_050719_IMG_5797.jpg

Retrieved the last meal of hot and sour soup from the freezer and picked up some crab rangoon and egg rolls for dinner tonight.

I picked up a strawberry fields pecan salad with grilled chicken from Culver's. Surprisingly good.

I went to one of the discount grocery stores here in Honolulu;
I only needed a coupla staple goods, no food so I window-shopped
the meat section ...
:ohmy:
OH MY GAWD!!!
I forgot how expensive meat is here, and by that I mean Beef.
Fish ain't cheap either, so we're sticking to chicken and some fish,
but NO BEEF!!
And for some odd reason, I can get "Mainland frozen Pork Butt"
for $1.49/lb, whereas in Arizona it's like $5.99/lb ... go figga (figure)

Tonight's plan is some leftover Poke (Ahi, Tako and Shrimp) with
some leftover Kalua Pork (you can buy prepared stuff CHEAP) and
of course the ever present steamed White Rice and my quick
Japanese Cucumber Kim Chee :yum:

Dessert later will be local brand Macadamia Nut Ice Ice Cream, YUM!
Talk about expensive! It costs $10.99 for a 48 oz. carton, but ya know,
whatcha gonna do? I gotta have it just once while we're here ;)

I went to one of the discount grocery stores here in Honolulu;
I only needed a coupla staple goods, no food so I window-shopped
the meat section ...
:ohmy:
OH MY GAWD!!!
I forgot how expensive meat is here, and by that I mean Beef.
Fish ain't cheap either, so we're sticking to chicken and some fish,
but NO BEEF!!
And for some odd reason, I can get "Mainland frozen Pork Butt"
for $1.49/lb, whereas in Arizona it's like $5.99/lb ... go figga (figure)

Tonight's plan is some leftover Poke (Ahi, Tako and Shrimp) with
some leftover Kalua Pork (you can buy prepared stuff CHEAP) and
of course the ever present steamed White Rice and my quick
Japanese Cucumber Kim Chee :yum:

Dessert later will be local brand Macadamia Nut Ice Ice Cream, YUM!
Talk about expensive! It costs $10.99 for a 48 oz. carton, but ya know,
whatcha gonna do? I gotta have it just once while we're here ;)
So, how does one prepare quick cucumber kimchi? Sounds great!

We had subs on baguette. We each made our own sandwich using salami, ham, sprouts, lettuce, sauerkraut, and cheese. DH nuked his and I put mine in the toaster oven. It was an enjoyable supper. We had some vegan lemon cake for dessert. It came free with my grocery box today. I only ate one bite. I tasted lemon and sweet, that's all. I won't be buying that.

Here it is 11:30 at night. Too late for Taco Tuesday for me. But I am sure another thread regarding tacos is in the offering somewhere in this forum. So if I don't feed the birds with the flying frisbees, I will find a use for those tasteless corn tacos. Right now those corn tacos are sitting in the freezer just waiting for a nice hot instrument they can go into for a delicious meal.

I will be shopping for the month come Sunday. I already have the fixings for a salad filling or maybe even something Oriental. Like the filling for egg rolls, only instead of the egg roll skins, it will be taco shells to hold the fillings.

Now there is an idea to follow through. I love egg rolls and I get to use up those dang taco shells. Now I just need to find a suitable name for them. Chinese Tacos? Mexican egg rolls?

So, how does one prepare quick cucumber kimchi? Sounds great!

JJ, this is how I make mine :
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/a-quick-follow-up/
You can find Noh brand Kim Chee Mix in Las Vegas at your Asian Market,
well worth the coupla bucks.
I don't use an entire envelope of spice mix in one go, so I put the rest into a sealed spice jar in my pantry.
I make sure that my Mother In California has several packets when I go to visit, she makes this all of the time for herself.

I should say that the more mix you put on your Cucumbers, the spicier it'll be.

Last edited:
Here it is 11:30 at night. Too late for Taco Tuesday for me. But I am sure another thread regarding tacos is in the offering somewhere in this forum. So if I don't feed the birds with the flying frisbees, I will find a use for those tasteless corn tacos. Right now those corn tacos are sitting in the freezer just waiting for a nice hot instrument they can go into for a delicious meal.

I will be shopping for the month come Sunday. I already have the fixings for a salad filling or maybe even something Oriental. Like the filling for egg rolls, only instead of the egg roll skins, it will be taco shells to hold the fillings.

Now there is an idea to follow through. I love egg rolls and I get to use up those dang taco shells. Now I just need to find a suitable name for them. Chinese Tacos? Mexican egg rolls?

Interesting, Addie. Let us know how the tortillas work out as a sub for egg roll wrappers. :)

Beer braised flank steak with SW seasonings, green rice and black beans.

full

Comfort Night !
Cheeseburger w/ Lettuce, Tomato, Onion & Mayo -
Shoestring Beets, Air Fries, Mac Salad, carried in (worst Store-Bought I've ever had)...

Burger, Beets, Fries.jpg

I didn't click the pic but I had have my lunch with full of half sorted vegies, grilled paneer with Buffalo sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom