5 course meal I cooked for 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
First course- blanched asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and philo dough and baked

Second course- Greens salad with feta cheese, macerated strawberry slices and mint vinagrette

Third course- Chicken Picatta with angel hair pasta paired with a 2002 chardoney white wine with grilled peaches

Fourth course- Manchego cheese plate with crackers and 2 kinds of grapes

Fifth course - Bananas Foster with Cinnamon, nutmeg whipped Cream

Yo, kid. I hope you are patting yourself on the back big time. Your menu was awesome, filled with great color and I hope the guests enjoyed every savory bite. Big "kudos" to you. What a great job for someone your age! Three cheers for you!!!!

My best effort! Ever

Sviata Vechera with Iryna Shumanska

Marion, Ohio, January 6, 2006

THE MENU

Kolach The sacred bread is formed of three strands and baked as a round loaf, representing the perfect and eternal Trinity. It graces the center of the table and a second loaf is broken into small pieces, dipped in honey and shared with each member of the family before the meal starts. The honey has ancient meanings in the Ukrainian land. In the Christmas Eve meal it represents the soul of Christ. Bread is otherwise not part of the meal.

Pisnyi Borsch Meatless Borsch This is a Ukrainian national dish made without meat for Christmas Eve. Borsch is based on beets and in this recipe it is made with a beet “broth,” kvas, and contains beets and other vegetables. The broth was lightly fermented for about five weeks using rye bread.

Mushroom Soup This is a simple, clear mushroom soup made in its own mushroom broth which is light and easy on the pallet.

Vushka Little Ears The shape of these mushroom filled dumplings explains their name. There is no substitute for them, especially on Christmas Eve and with mushroom soup.

Kutia This ancient, traditional and symbolic Ukrainian dish is made of shelled wheat in the same way oatmeal is cooked and contains poppy seeds and honey. It sometimes introduces the meal with the announcement that Christ is Born. Iryna completed the dish with honey and poppy seeds.

Fried Fish, as provided by Norma.

Oseledsi Pickled Fish Homemade with white fish using an authentic Ukrainian recipe.

Piani Holubtsi Meatless Cabbage Rolls These cabbage rolls are an important part of the Christmas Eve menu.They are made in Iryna’s household with rice only filling and some tomato juice for cooking. Recipe made by Norma.

Varenyky Stuffed Dumplings Mashed potato filling is used without adding the usual onions because we are cooking for Iryna.

Varenyky Kapusty which we know as sauerkraut is used in the second version, again without onions included.

Pampushky Yeast-raised fried rounds of dough which have been a part of Ukrainian celebrations for centuries. For Sviata Vechera they are a sweet doughnut type pastry. Iryna said that her Mother and Grandmother typically do not use a filling. These, with apologies to the Shumanskas back in Ukraine, use a Ukrainian recipe apricot filling.

Salat with Vinegar and Oil Dressing This excellent salad has been prepared by Iryna and is made of several cooked vegetables, primarily beets, potatoes, and cabbage.

Uzvar For the meal the beverage is a time honored Ukrainian recipe that is the liquid from stewing dried fruit. Iryna’s family uses dried apples only and that tradition was honored.

The intent has been to first honor the birth of Christ and then Ukraine’s ancient traditions. The desire has been to please Iryna and prepare the dishes as close as possible to those she would have had with her family this Christmas Eve. The meal has been prepared with prayer and is offered with love.

Transliteration of Ukrainian has been used when available with the recipes.

First course- blanched asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and philo dough and baked

Second course- Greens salad with feta cheese, macerated strawberry slices and mint vinagrette

Third course- Chicken Picatta with angel hair pasta paired with a 2002 chardoney white wine with grilled peaches

This has to be the first time I've seen more than one course compliment each other.

Good Job!:chef:

got any leftover? how far is Everette?:ROFLMAO:

THE MENU
The intent has been to first honor the birth of Christ and then Ukraine’s ancient traditions. The desire has been to please Iryna and prepare the dishes as close as possible to those she would have had with her family this Christmas Eve. The meal has been prepared with prayer and is offered with love.

Shut the front door!:wacko: This sounds totally awesome and reminds me of what our DIL's family prepares for the holiday or Christmas, they're Polish and darling............

THE MENU

Kolach The sacred bread is formed of three strands and baked as a round loaf, representing the perfect and eternal Trinity. It graces the center of the table and a second loaf is broken into small pieces, dipped in honey and shared with each member of the family before the meal starts. The honey has ancient meanings in the Ukrainian land. In the Christmas Eve meal it represents the soul of Christ. Bread is otherwise not part of the meal.

Pisnyi Borsch Meatless Borsch This is a Ukrainian national dish made without meat for Christmas Eve. Borsch is based on beets and in this recipe it is made with a beet “broth,” kvas, and contains beets and other vegetables. The broth was lightly fermented for about five weeks using rye bread.

Mushroom Soup This is a simple, clear mushroom soup made in its own mushroom broth which is light and easy on the pallet.

Vushka Little Ears The shape of these mushroom filled dumplings explains their name. There is no substitute for them, especially on Christmas Eve and with mushroom soup.

Kutia This ancient, traditional and symbolic Ukrainian dish is made of shelled wheat in the same way oatmeal is cooked and contains poppy seeds and honey. It sometimes introduces the meal with the announcement that Christ is Born. Iryna completed the dish with honey and poppy seeds.

Fried Fish, as provided by Norma.

Oseledsi Pickled Fish Homemade with white fish using an authentic Ukrainian recipe.

Piani Holubtsi Meatless Cabbage Rolls These cabbage rolls are an important part of the Christmas Eve menu.They are made in Iryna’s household with rice only filling and some tomato juice for cooking. Recipe made by Norma.

Varenyky Stuffed Dumplings Mashed potato filling is used without adding the usual onions because we are cooking for Iryna.

Varenyky Kapusty which we know as sauerkraut is used in the second version, again without onions included.

Pampushky Yeast-raised fried rounds of dough which have been a part of Ukrainian celebrations for centuries. For Sviata Vechera they are a sweet doughnut type pastry. Iryna said that her Mother and Grandmother typically do not use a filling. These, with apologies to the Shumanskas back in Ukraine, use a Ukrainian recipe apricot filling.

Salat with Vinegar and Oil Dressing This excellent salad has been prepared by Iryna and is made of several cooked vegetables, primarily beets, potatoes, and cabbage.

Uzvar For the meal the beverage is a time honored Ukrainian recipe that is the liquid from stewing dried fruit. Iryna’s family uses dried apples only and that tradition was honored.

wow that is a very nice looking menu with a ton of very exotic dishes. Where is your family from because the dishes seemed to be very eastern european. Are you from the Ukraine? (sp?)

Celebrating Traditions

Shut the front door!:wacko: This sounds totally awesome and reminds me of what our DIL's family prepares for the holiday or Christmas, they're Polish and darling............

I expect they are close as Ukraine and Poland have had crossed borders forever. They share food and customs and religion - Iryna came as an exchange student and as an Orthodox Christian, and went back to Ukraine the same way (Thank Goodness) This was to celebrate and honor her traditions.

Last edited:
The Holy Supper

wow that is a very nice looking menu with a ton of very exotic dishes. Where is your family from because the dishes seemed to be very eastern european. Are you from the Ukraine? (sp?)

Yes that was a ton, As I recall there were twelve or so to share Irina's Holy Super Christmas Eve January 6 (old calendar). It went from a simple statement to her that I would cook the Holy Supper for her - whereupon she leaned aginst the wall for support - I thought she was going to faint! It went from there to her and her host inviting 14. Big change! I started Sunday before, knowing I had to complete on Thursday. Failure was not an option and I had to have time for redos if needed. By Thursday my knees were giving way, but we made it. Yes the dishes were as Ukrainian as my skill could duplicate. No, I'm not Ukrainian. She was a special girl, the school and city were lucky to have her from Ukraine for that school year. :) I was lucky to be able to do this. That's the story.

congrats to both of you on fine feasts. My favorite multi course meals are Italain in origin
antipasti (with lots of variety) pasta course, meat, salad often with a shellfish, fruit and cheeses (different from those used elsewhere in the meal)

I've done several with such items as pasta putanesca, Ligurian stewed rabbit, insalata tri colore con calamari. I like to give lots of pause time between items, and I keep the courses small. But it's so much fun to plan and cook and EAT with good friends and family who appreciate the effort.

The funny thing is after I cooked and the part was all over 12 oclock rolled around and I went and got Chinese Food. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom