6/25/2019 - Bourdain Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
"It started with an Instagram post. Two of the world’s most prominent chefs, Éric Ripert and José Andrés, stood smiling on camera to proclaim a new holiday. “On June 25, we all are going to celebrate the birthday of our dear friend and beloved Anthony Bourdain,” Ripert says in the post.

The two take turns piecing together a single request: “We want all of you to celebrate Tony’s life.” To do that, all you need to do is pick up a beverage of your choosing and toast to Bourdain on camera, and post the moment to social media with the hashtag #BourdainDay. The chefs complete their announcement by taking long pulls from their porróns, a traditional wine pitcher from Spain.

Ripert wanted to take the lead on shaping the dialogue around the legacy of Bourdain, who died by suicide June 8 of last year. To change the tone of the conversation from solemn to celebratory, Ripert ordained June 25 Bourdain Day."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trav...ain-day/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.61ad4be884ae

After the toast, tonight's dinner will be lobster ravioli and roasted cauliflower.

Despite Anthony Bourdain insisting that a hot dog is not a sandwich, https://time.com/4502225/anthony-bourdain-hot-dog-sandwich-reddit/
that is what we will be having..and.. making it between two slice of soft wheat bread.. In other words, "a hot dog sandwich".. ;)

Mayo with S&P on the top slice, mustard, onions and lengthwise sliced fried wieners on the bottom slice.. :yum:

I made a potato salad to go with the hot dog sandwich and I will toast Mr Bourdain with a cold Corona.. (he probably didn't think that's beer either)

Have a craving for pumpkin pie so, that's our dessert..

Ross

Last edited:
If they were still alive, my dear parents would be celebrating their 68th wedding anniversary today. :heart:

Dinner was planned before I knew of this, so I'll just forge ahead with my plans. I'm making a small pot of chicken soup in order to squeak the last of nutrition from the rotisserie carcass and veggie trimmings. Himself can eat chili any time of the year, so I'm making him a small pot of that. :huh: Perhaps I'll season it heavily as a tribute to Bourdain. :brows: I'll think of Bourdain and my parents as I sip my late-night glass of wine.

Last edited:
It's going to be Taco Tuesday here in
"my kitchen in the middle of the desert,
or Casa K~Girl :chef:

I found some lovely already marinated
Carne Asada at the butcher's counter in
Sprouts and I couldn't resist.

PLUS, DH (not Poor Husband anymore :w00t:) got his Splint/Cast off this morning
and now has at least partial use of his
dominant arm once again :clap:

So I figured he'd be able eat Tacos tonight...
that's the plan anyways

As to "... taking a long pull on …" CERVEZA, that would
be a wonderful way to toast Anthony Bourdain I think,
along with a coupla Beef Tacos, oh wait he liked Burgers, hmmm

This is a good reason for me to make some Malaysian or Vietnamese food - two places you could tell that he loved, and talked about retiring to. Bourdain was one of the few that I saw sample durian, and say that he liked it! If a friend of mine still lived in the area, we'd have to get together for this.

We will probably have a salad with chicken. We will definitely raise a glass to Anthony Bourdain with that supper. Pictures of us doing so, I'm not sure.

I have Chili-o chili (with fresh onions, chili powder and cumin added) and brown rice cooking. I like to top mine with fresh grated Italian cheeses (reg Parmesan, pecorino Romano and Grana Padano).

Pasta salad with shelf stable cheese tortellini (though you could use the fresh ) with a cooked vinaigrette with red onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes with dijon and white wine vinegar added after coming off heat. Tossed wirh arugula and pecorino. Garlic croissants using Annie's croissants that have been in our fridge for a while. So, we went vegetarian and quick tonight.

Attachments

• 2019-06-25 17.25.56.jpg
    2019-06-25 17.25.56.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 144
Chili-o chili (with fresh onions, chili powder and cumin added) over brown rice. I like to top mine with fresh grated Italian cheeses (Parmesan Reggiano, Pecorino Romano cheeses & Grana Padano Parmesan. I like the combo of cheeses).

chili_062519_IMG_5939.jpg

Disappointed with the lobster ravioli. The lobster flavor was washed out with all of the other stuff. I'll go back to steamed lobster. Roasted cauliflower was a hit, as always.

I made some mushroom ravioli a short while back. Mrs. T said she liked it a lot better than the lobster ravioli (cheap date!). I just used portobello mushrooms, but next time I'll add some other flavorful mushrooms.

My Anthony Bourdain day will be Saturday, when 2 friends will join me. This will give me an excuse to make those brownies I've been wanting to try out, even though they are not traditional desserts for SE Asian meals.

Tonight, the leftover sambal, and some of those Asian pickles I make all the time, and have at almost all times in the fridge.

Himself told me earlier today that his tummy was feeling a little wobbly. I said that I would just make more soup and lots of noodles and make ground beef and macaroni tomorrow. By the time I was ready to make dinner his tummy was fine. Too bad, no chili for him - now I have a taste for beef and mac.

Found out that I was down to my last cup of noodles. Ended up making wagon wheels for the soup. There's a lot of them hiding under the veggies.
IMG_20190625_195924297_HDR.jpg

We will probably have a salad with chicken. We will definitely raise a glass to Anthony Bourdain with that supper. Pictures of us doing so, I'm not sure.

Well, I started organizing the vegis for the salad and ran out of spoons. We decided that leftover pizza from yesterday would be plenty good enough. It was. We did toast Mr. Bourdain. It's not easy to take a two person selfie. I don't know why the wine looks like two different colours. Both glasses have the same rosé wine.
#BourdainDay

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_200015.jpg
    IMG_20190625_200015.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
My Anthony Bourdain day will be Saturday, when 2 friends will join me. This will give me an excuse to make those brownies I've been wanting to try out, even though they are not traditional desserts for SE Asian meals.

Tonight, the leftover sambal, and some of those Asian pickles I make all the time, and have at almost all times in the fridge.

Hmmmm, Anthony Bourdain brownies? Is that legal in NJ? :angel:

CD

Éric Ripert had the misfortune to be the one who found Anthony Bourdain dead in his hotel room. They were good friends. That had to be tough.

I spent the day driving home from Port Arthur, so I'm just grazing tonight. I stopped and had a Whataburger on the drive home. Perhaps I'll do a shot and a beer for Anthony -- and to unwind after a long drive in the rain.

CD

Yummy looking and sounding dinners. :yum:
I roasted a little game hen this afternoon. I had a handful of fresh picked cherry tomatoes too, but I ate those while everything was cooking. :)

Simple seasonings for the little bird....a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on the outside, and a wedge of lemon and a couple of cloves of garlic in the cavity. Very satisfying dinner....I'm stuffed. Leftovers for tomorrow.

Tipped my wine glass to Anthony.

Attachments

• game hen, rice, and broccoli.jpg
    game hen, rice, and broccoli.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom