7-1-2017 Hello July, What's For Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
001.JPG

002.JPG
[file photo]

I'm going to "smoke" some double cut Pork Loin Chops from Costco
(I brined them first this time)
they are chillin' in the `fridge after I rubbed them liberally
with my homemade Espresso concoction
along side will be Baked Beans and Summer Slaw
MMM!

What's on your plate?

Just grazing in my hotel tonight.

I had a totally amazing Italian sub at this place called Defonte's Sandwich Shop in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn. The line of locals was out the door, so it had to be good. It was! I think perhaps the best Italian sub I've ever had.

I also found the kind of market you only see in New York, or similar old cities. If my hotel room had a kitchen, I could have cooked a gourmet meal tonight. The produce was beautiful. The meats choices were vast. They even had a big glass cooler with beef dry aging on display. Their cheese section was better than most fine cheese stores that sell nothing but cheese.

CD

Just grazing in my hotel tonight.

I had a totally amazing Italian sub at this place called Defonte's Sandwich Shop in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn. The line of locals was out the door, so it had to be good. It was! I think perhaps the best Italian sub I've ever had.

I also found the kind of market you only see in New York, or similar old cities. If my hotel room had a kitchen, I could have cooked a gourmet meal tonight. The produce was beautiful. The meats choices were vast. They even had a big glass cooler with beef dry aging on display. Their cheese section was better than most fine cheese stores that sell nothing but cheese.

CD

RIGHT?!
I would LOVE to take a trip with a group of folks who are like minded and go to places like that! Drink good wine, eat fine foods that we shop for, cook, chat and see the sights. I know that there are travel groups out there but the prices, MAN! Too rich for my blood!

I've been grilling so much lately that I decided to put a casserole in the oven tonight.

It's a bed of chopped cabbage/thin sliced red potato. Onion, bell pepper cooked with sausage (I like Jimmy Dean, Sage) mixed with a combo of cheese soup and Cream of Mush. poured over the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hr. removing foil the last 10 min.

Last edited:
Chicken fajitas. Naked spineless chicken breasts were $1.69 a pound. Peppers were 79 cents and Vidalia onions were 69 cents, both per pound. Half a package of must-use tortilla flats, various salsas and add-ins on hand, too. Can't buy a McD's meal for one compared to what it cost to make an easy supper for two. :yum:

We grilled three pork tenderloins that had to be used up. I did three different dry rubs and they turned out great. With it were corn on the cob, baked potatoes, and raw veggies.

We had our dessert earlier in the day - 99 cent Frosties from Wendy's. I had vanilla and TB had chocolate, though we switched halfway through!

The rest of the pork will be sliced tomorrow and frozen for various uses such as sandwiches, salads, wonton soup, etc.

Last edited:
Was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet yesterday....found some out of date pasta...tossed that. Found several partial bags of dry beans/peas...black-eyes, pintos, kidneys, small reds, Anasazi etc, dumped them all in a big pot for several hours of soaking....later cooking them with Easter ham scraps from the freezer, along with onion, bell pepper, garlic, a touch of bacon drippings, etc. Toward the end I threw in about 1/2 lb of andouille sausage from La Place...Oh boy!! Was they good?? Yes siree Bob!

So my plate looked like this last night.

A big bowl of beans, jalapeno corn bread, thin fried catfish, fried green tomato, along with cold slices of vidalia onions, sliced tomato and cucumber, and pods of cayenne pepper from the garden. Was full as a tick!! :pig:

We had a modified Hubert Keller vegetarian dish. It was supposed to be individual pancakes, but I added an extra egg and extras of some other things to make 1 big fritatta. Fillings were fettucini, dried tomatoes, spinach, basil, parm. It was served with a roasted red bell coulis that also included peeled and seeded tomato, basil, thyme, and sauteed onion and garlic.

We had leftover fried chicken from a local grocery store, sweet potato fries, cucumbers & tomatoes, and chocolate gelatto for supper last night.

Back
Top Bottom