7/11/2019 - Free Slurpee Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO is off to FL for a week. I'm flying solo except...

My younger daughter is coming for dinner tonight. We'll be having lasagna and a veggie she will provide. I'm making a blueberry pecan galette for dessert with vanilla ice cream.

I'm making a meat sauce for spaghetti using 90/10 beef and nduja. Should be nice and spicy. Haven't decided if bread will go with it.

Not feeling energetic today. I pulled the "Texas pork burgers" out of the freezer and we'll have those for supper, if all goes well. I'll see what I'm up for doing in terms of sides.

I'm going to make some fresh pesto from garden herbs for bruschetta with bread I made yesterday. I'll also make frozen ravioli with baby salad shrimp, a bit of bacon, frozen peas from the spring garden and chocolate cherry tomatoes picked over the last few days.

All of your dinners sound wonderful!

I'm making my Cold Somen Salad

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2019/06/21/auntie-donis-somen-salad/

DSC01185.jpg
DSC01186.jpg

… that's if we don't eat all of the mise en place ingredients before dinner
:LOL:

Head over to 7-Eleven on 7/11 between 11 AM and 7 PM and score a free small Slurpee.

https://myfox8.com/2019/07/11/7-eleven-day-is-thursday-and-heres-how-to-get-a-free-slurpee/

Mrs. T's sister is visiting for a couple days, so I'll be heading to the lobster pound to pick up some lobsters and steamers. I made a pasta salad to serve along side.

Ya know 10-speed, I started think about weather or not there is
a 7-Eleven anywhere `round these parts, so I went to there website
and I was right!
The closest store is over 100 miles away :LOL:

I watched a YouTube video on Chicago hot dogs, and have all the ingredients, except the sport peppers -- and I can't get Vienna Beef hot dogs here. So, I am doing a mostly Chicago hot dog for dinner. Fresh fruit and whipped cream as a refreshing desert, as it is so hot here today. It is 9:15, and 86F outside. Five hours ago, it was 101F.

CD

Went out to brunch with brother today at a small Mexican restaurant, and brought home leftovers to snack on for dinner.

I watched a YouTube video on Chicago hot dogs, and have all the ingredients, except the sport peppers -- and I can't get Vienna Beef hot dogs here. So, I am doing a mostly Chicago hot dog for dinner. Fresh fruit and whipped cream as a refreshing desert, as it is so hot here today. It is 9:15, and 86F outside. Five hours ago, it was 101F.

CD

Gee C-Dog, for some reason I can find Vienna Beef Jumbo Hot Dogs here in Cowboyville.
It's turned into our go-to Franks
vienna beef hot dogs and mac n cheese.jpg

chili frank plate lunch.jpg

In fact, I think I have a four-pack in the deep freeze...
:yum:

I'm going to make some fresh pesto from garden herbs for bruschetta with bread I made yesterday. I'll also make frozen ravioli with baby salad shrimp, a bit of bacon, frozen peas from the spring garden and chocolate cherry tomatoes picked over the last few days.

I have always wondered if "chocolate" tomatoes taste different from regular red tomatoes. If they do taste different, can you describe the difference?

CD

Gee C-Dog, for some reason I can find Vienna Beef Jumbo Hot Dogs here in Cowboyville.

I have looked all over for Vienna Beef dogs, and have even checked the company's web site to find a place that sells them in Dallas. I don't know why I can't get them here.

CD

I have looked all over for Vienna Beef dogs, and have even checked the company's web site to find a place that sells them in Dallas. I don't know why I can't get them here.

CD

C-Dog,
I can find them at both Safeway and Kroger, do you have those?
Also, have you checked with your local marts manager?
When I checked the label, I could swear the Vienna Beef Frank had less sodium too :ohmy:

C-Dog,
I can find them at both Safeway and Kroger, do you have those?
Also, have you checked with your local marts manager?
When I checked the label, I could swear the Vienna Beef Frank had less sodium too :ohmy:

Kroger is a dominant brand here. Safeway has a handful of stores under the Tom Thumb brand name. Tom Thumb is considered a somewhat upscale store, but I could not find Vienna Beef dogs there, either.

I haven't look for them in a few years -- I gave up. Someone may have them now, but I don't have time to hunt them down. I have a good selection of quality hot dogs readily available.

CD

Last edited:
Got a very late start on Dinner....
I fried off a Pork Chop, Poured some Heinz gravy over leftie Mashed, and opened a can of Green Beans...

Pork Chop (3).jpg

Turned out pretty good.
0711192106.jpg

I have always wondered if "chocolate" tomatoes taste different from regular red tomatoes. If they do taste different, can you describe the difference?

CD
They're different from hybrid red slicing tomatoes. They're an heirloom variety and they have a nice balance of sweet and tangy. I think the biggest difference is the texture - they give a nice juicy pop when you bite into one. Also, the color is pretty, so they're fun to use in a mixed tomato salad with other sizes and colors of tomatoes.
2019-07-12-12-12-55.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom