8/23/13 - What's For Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for reminding me. I saw the weirdest peaches at the fruit stand today. I've got to Google those things.
Were they flat with almost white flesh? Our greengrocer had them last week. He called them "do-nut peaches" for obvious reasons. I've had white peaches before, in France (where they call them "brugnons" IIRC) but never flat ones like these.flat like these

That is exactly them! Thanks for posting up a pic, AB.
They called them Donut at the fruit stand and I Googled that they are also known as Saturn. They reminded me of those dolls that were so popular years ago... Cabbage Patch Kids? Kind of puffy and... weird. Is this a hybrid of sorts or have they always been around?

That is exactly them! Thanks for posting up a pic, AB.
They called them Donut at the fruit stand and I Googled that they are also known as Saturn. They reminded me of those dolls that were so popular years ago... Cabbage Patch Kids? Kind of puffy and... weird. Is this a hybrid of sorts or have they always been around?

I've only seen them the last few years and was not impressed with them. The ones I had were dry. I like the old freestone peaches so ripe that the juice runs down my arm! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've only seen them the last few years and was not impressed with them. The ones I had were dry. I like the old freestone peaches so ripe that the juice runs down my arm! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The fruit juice flowing slowly, slowly, down the bronze of your body.
Sorry, lost in an Elton John moment (Amoreena). It could have been peaches :LOL:

Grilled beer brats with kraut 'n' beans. And more beer to wash it down. I may be sleeping alone tonight. :pig::LOL:

On a related note, I found a new mustard I really like: Koops' Arizona Heat. Yummy stuff.

img_1294301_0_f764bd49ab4838b236b9ffe80de92dcb.jpg

Last edited:
Grilled beer brats with kraut 'n' beans. And more beer to wash it down. I may be sleeping alone tonight. :pig::LOL:

On a related note, I found a new mustard I really like: Koops' Arizona Heat. Yummy stuff.

img_1294308_0_f764bd49ab4838b236b9ffe80de92dcb.jpg
Looks yummy Steve. What are beer brats? I have a package of brats in the fridge and a new grill.

What are beer brats?
Wisconsin's take on gourmet fare, and a favorite tailgate food at Green Bay Packers games. :)

Quite simple to make, really. You put your brats in a pot with a chopped onion and pour enough beer over to cover them. Then you bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until they are cooked through. Once done, throw them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp up on the outside.

No recipe required, but if you want one anyway, Bobby Flay's is on the Food Network website.
Beer Brats Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Last edited:

img_1294322_0_f764bd49ab4838b236b9ffe80de92dcb.jpg

Amazing...I am getting hungrier for my lunch now :LOL:

Wisconsin's take on gourmet fare, and a favorite tailgate food at Green Bay Packers games. :)

Quite simple to make, really. You put your brats in a pot with a chopped onion and pour enough beer over to cover them. Then you bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until they are cooked through. Once done, throw them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp up on the outside.

No recipe required, but if you want one anyway, Bobby Flay's is on the Food Network website.
Beer Brats Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network
I'll have to give that a try. They were pretty good just grilled.

I was going to make a salad and add some of the left over rotisserie chicken, but Stirling felt more like having hot chicken sandwiches. So, that's what we had. The part I find tedious is shredding the chicken, so I got Stirling to do it. :rolleyes:

We're going to check out a new restaurant that specializes in steaks and chops. I've heard good things about it.

We were pleasantly surprised! The joint was jumping, but we were seated right away, and everything soon calmed down as we went out after 7 PM :LOL: Our waitress was brand-new. The calamari app was nice and crisp, tender and not over-breaded. We split a porterhouse, and it was perfectly seasoned and cooked, med rare/rare. With each entree, you get two sides, and it was hard to get it across to the waitress that we were splitting an entree, so we only get two sides, she kept asking us what our other two sides were. We had mini Caesar salads, which to me looked like full size. We'll definitely go back!

Last edited:
Looks yummy Steve. What are beer brats? I have a package of brats in the fridge and a new grill.

Quite simple to make, really. You put your brats in a pot with a chopped onion and pour enough beer over to cover them. Then you bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until they are cooked through. Once done, throw them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp up on the outside....

Beer and Brats - Wisconsin's perfect marriage!

taxy, you can also do the brats in a crockpot. I've laid down a bed of thinly sliced onions, added sauerkraut with caraway seed on top, then put the bratwurst on top of that. Pour the beer over so it barely shows through the kraut, then cook away. If it's nice outside we've finished the brats off on the grill, but they are fine right out of the crockpot if you're in a hurry or there is a foot of snow on top the grill.

I was going to make a salad and add some of the left over rotisserie chicken, but Stirling felt more like having hot chicken sandwiches. So, that's what we had. The part I find tedious is shredding the chicken, so I got Stirling to do it. :rolleyes:

That sounds nice Taxy :yum:

Back
Top Bottom