8/9/13: What's it (Dinner) all about, Alfie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Something on the grill. That's all I know.
I've got a ribeye in the fridge, so maybe a little surf and turf. I just need to make a surf run.
What is your psychic connection telling you to cook tonight?

I'm feeling the presence of leftover turkey, gravy and stuffing casserole (day 4). It's OK, DH specifically requested it.

How'd the Pinoy turn out last night, Andy?

Sorry, I forgot to post.

It was excellent. Thanks for posting that link.

The flavor was great and even better is the fact that SO liked it too. That means I can add it to the rotation.

I was thinking the marinade could use some heat. What do you think? SO says no.

Also, I drained off the marinade and brought it to a boil so I wouldn't have to worry about nasties. I used it to baste the kebabs as suggested.

That amount of marinade can handle a lot more than the 2 pounds of pork called for in the recipe. You could probably cut it back by a third.

We're down a daughter for dinner. I think we'll do breakfast for dinner. Either crepes with tons of berries, I've also got some ham, avocado and cheese to fill the crepes. There may need to be some bacon too. I'm craving bacon in a big way.

Good. I'm glad you liked it (and SO).
I was thinking the same thing about heat when I made it last weekend. Maybe a couple squirts of Srirracha or something. I think the garlic bulb I used was smaller or something because it usually has more... something. More bite maybe.

Good. I'm glad you liked it (and SO).
I was thinking the same thing about heat when I made it last weekend. Maybe a couple squirts of Srirracha or something. I think the garlic bulb I used was smaller or something because it usually has more... something. More bite maybe.

Also, the juice you get from two lemons can vary quite a bit. I ended up using light brown sugar. That's all I had. No molasses in the house to darken it.

I was thinking crushed red pepper in the marinade.

That reminds me, I'm out of crushed red pepper :ohmy:
I can't seem to find that economy size/last for fives years size anywhere.

I pulled up the cayenne pepper plants last fall, hung the plants upside down. I smashed them in the mortar and pestle. You might be able to pick up a bunch of cayenne peppers at the farmer's market and dry them.

Totally clueless re: what's for dinner tonight. I have a BUNCH of cukes...might have to make the cuke and tomato salad and go with that. I also have to prep the cukes for b&b pickles.

Last edited:

Does your grocery store have a Mexican section, Pac? Ours has lots of different dried hot peppers. Another thought, pizza places have those little packets of pepper flakes. I have quite a collection :LOL:

... Ours has lots of different dried hot peppers. Another thought, pizza places have those little packets of pepper flakes. I have quite a collection :LOL:

Thanks for the suggestion, Dawg.
Maybe I can pick up a couple of those cool glass shakers with the big holes in the lid, too :LOL:

Thanks for the suggestion, Dawg.
Maybe I can pick up a couple of those cool glass shakers with the big holes in the lid, too :LOL:

Hmm. My 5 year container is just about empty, think I'll dump my collection into it!

I use one of those for kosher salt.
I have a bunch of those. I picked them up at thrift stores. I use one for flour (when I need to "dust s/thing" with flour), two for two different kinds of hot peppers, and another one is currently empty...maybe I should put kosher salt in it...

I just looked at my 5 year pepper shaker, it had a place to write the date opened. I'd written 9/23/07! ohmy!

Last edited:
I have a matching one with a different top for sugar. Picture the sugar dispenser in a diner.

Picked some large peppers from the garden this morning so tonight it is stuffed peppers and salad.

Back
Top Bottom