"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

A good dish to serve with chicken?

Hey folks,
I'm definitely not a gourmet chef. In fact, I avoid cooking whenever possible, haha. But, the time has come for me to cook supper for my boyfriend, and I'm not really sure what to do. I've decided to make parmesan chicken breasts, and got that recipe from my mom, but now I don't know what to serve with it. He's not big on salads, so I'm trying to avoid that if I can. Anyone know of anything I could make which is relatively simple, and would go good with a cheesy kind of chicken??
I'd really appreciate some suggestions! Thanks :)

Old 11-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

When I make my "Chicken Parisienne" (chicken breasts, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, dry sherry), I always serve it with plain boiled & buttered carrots sprinkled with a little parsley, & plain white rice.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You could always make some pasta with a red sauce and garlic bread.
  • sautéed zucchini
  • fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cubes, fresh basil, tossed in some evoo and balsamic vinegar (or tomato slices and mozzarella slices with fresh basil in between the layers - make it stacked

Start making some simple salads with really good homemade dressings - that might change his mind.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

Braise some of favorite fresh vegetables (broccoli or asparagus, baby carrots, mushrooms, onions, sweet red peppers, whatever) in chicken broth with a bit of butter, salt & pepper until just crisp tender.
Cook your choice of pasta, drain, and dress with butter and olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Combine with cooked vegies for a pasta primavera, or serve separately.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Rice pilaf and grilled zucchini.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Mashed potatoes are always easy, and you can doctor them up a million and six different ways.

If doing the Parm Chicken, you could do parmesean and garlic mashed potatoes and finish it with a little chopped fresh parsley.

Of course pasta is a good stand by too...
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Braise some of favorite fresh vegetables (broccoli or asparagus, baby carrots, mushrooms, onions, sweet red peppers, whatever) in chicken broth with a bit of butter, salt & pepper until just crisp tender.
Cook your choice of pasta, drain, and dress with butter and olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Combine with cooked vegies for a pasta primavera, or serve separately.
This sounds wonderful! If your doing a parmesan chicken, I think pasta is a great choice. For super simple, I'd boil my choice of pasta, drain it, then add a little olive oil and fresh chopped basil.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

If you've got some kind of sauce with the chicken, then you'll never go wrong with a side of pasta....actually, the presentation will be nice if you put the pasta on the plate first, and the gently lay the chicken breast on top of the bed of pasta, spooning a bit of the sauce over that. Don't use spaghetti, too much work with the fork for a romantic dinner. I'd go with penne or radiatore.

You don't mention how he feels about vegetables...but broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and olive oil would be nice, or green beans.

Good luck. I recall one of the first times I prepared a meal for a beau. I was probably 15 and everything was going well..until I served the chocolate mousse. At the time, I was unclear of the difference between semisweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate. The texture of the mousse was splendid. It just had the unfortunate taste of chalk...very unpleasant to the palate.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #9
Master Chef

Couscous from the box is very easy to make. I like to buy the plain kind and flavor it myself, but there are many versions which require little or no cooking and are delicious. It adds a little exotic touch to your cooking but not so exotic that people who like "plain" food don't like it. I particularly like it with a roasted bird that I rub with lemon or if whole, bake with a lemon inside. Yummmyummm
Old 11-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #10
Head Chef

Agree with the others that pasta would go very well. Also, either add a vegetable side dish or toss your pasta with a basic cream sauce and vegetables, such as broccoli florets or wilted spinach, then garnish with say, pine nuts or diced tomatoes for interest. You'll find lots of these recipes on the web. Good luck!