"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

People go at any far to get noticed, some may famous, some may notorious, and the next step of that so called “garlic haters club” may to stop pasta. This kind of “attention seeking campaigners” is the real enemy of healthy eating and living.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

There are many Italians, who use very little garlic. To each there own, I am a garlic lover too, and use it on everything.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

To those who want to ban garlic.....My only thoughts is;

"Well Bless your heart"

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`ll bet it was sponsored by the Italian Vampire sect!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I heard the Clorets people are fighting it tooth and nail!

My mother, who is a full blooded Sicilian, never uses garlic in any of her cooking, not even her spaghetti sauce. Onions, salt, and pepper, that's it. My father is strictly the New England Boiled Dinner type.

She does, however, keep a little shaker bottle of crushed red pepper in the cupboard for my use.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
At the country club I worked at up in Michigan, we had a couple members that were "incredibly" allergic to garlic, so they said. They would only come in on Wednesday nights, which was also Family Style night, and 2 weeks out of four, would be Italian, and Chinese, both of which made heavy use of garlic. These two folks would get so upset over the smell of garlic in the air that they would leave. One time, the gentleman started berating me as to why I couldn't make this food back in the kitchen?

They quit coming in after a month or so. Sadly, the gentleman passed away that winter, and his widow only came in once in a while.

I've always wondered if it was one of those things that was all in his head? Most of the food we made had garlic in it.

Heck, just about everything I make at home has some garlic in it somewhere.
Seems like they were the morons for only going in on the very nights that garlic would be a staple in the foods that were being served. They should have put the money that they spent on the membership into buying some common sense. That's kind of like someone who would go to a Japanese buffet and complain that they're allergic to soy sauce. Duh.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #17
Sous Chef

It will never work though and thank god for that!!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Ironchef, everybody in the kitchen would just give a chuckle and roll their eyes at the mention of these folks. However, since they were "Resident Stockholder" members, basically, they owned a piece of the club, and we couldn't tell them to "don't bother coming in on this night, the place will smell like garlic". We had to find a way to accomodate them. We usually ended up seating them in a room that wasn't really being used, then made their food without garlic.

Like anyplace that serves food, country clubs get their share of folks who have some neurosis or other about food. Being a professional, I have to try and accomodate folks with special needs. I'm all for helping someone with a food allergy, but it does tend to grate on my nerves when I know the person I'm bending over backwards for, either has this "all in their head", or is making me bend over backwards to impress someone else.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Ironchef, everybody in the kitchen would just give a chuckle and roll their eyes at the mention of these folks. However, since they were "Resident Stockholder" members, basically, they owned a piece of the club, and we couldn't tell them to "don't bother coming in on this night, the place will smell like garlic". We had to find a way to accomodate them. We usually ended up seating them in a room that wasn't really being used, then made their food without garlic.

Like anyplace that serves food, country clubs get their share of folks who have some neurosis or other about food. Being a professional, I have to try and accomodate folks with special needs. I'm all for helping someone with a food allergy, but it does tend to grate on my nerves when I know the person I'm bending over backwards for, either has this "all in their head", or is making me bend over backwards to impress someone else.
Yup, I've definitely had my share of people like that. I've worked in hotels that have had suites priced in the $1500-2000 range per night, yet the people who have stayed in them have the common sense equivalency of a rock.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

IC, just goes to show ya that lots of money does not imply lots of brains