Aaaggh!! Agggh!!! My cutting board just died!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
Well I just used Chin (my cleaver) to chop a chunk off a frozen chicken breast that I intend to use to make buffalo chicken and bleu cheese stuffed wontons. Why was I chopping frozen chicken? Well no point defrosting it if I am only using half, right?

I drew on some old martial arts classes and struck the chicken with a nice, well focused blow.

This is what happened (sorry for the poor lighting, my webcam sucks)

876391518412l.jpg

I guess Im making a trip to target tomorrow for a new cutting board.

(for its defense this one was very old and warped... the prev. owner had often left it in water so it was kinda dried out and disfigured)

Truth is I didint go all the way through the chicken... I was trying to cleave in a little deep and break it up by hand. Only problem is that since the board was warped well it snapped in half. You could say that the sides touched the counter but the middle didint.

Im over the shock now... I should of thrown that thing away months ago.

Sorry, man. I've been through a few cutting boards myself, wasn't trying to make fun! Seriously tho, that's a mean cleaver you have! :D

My cutting board is dying as well. I've got one good split developing, and a second one just started. I'm going to have to buy a new one here soon. I've been thinking about MAKING one, maple, edge-grain, probably an inch-and-a-half thick, and possibly drilling a hole in each end and fitting a dowel rod through all the pieces, then glueing it all together.

give it a good viking funeral in your fireplace or grill, lugaru! it has served you well, send it off to valhalla!!!!

buckytom said:
give it a good viking funeral in your fireplace or grill, lugaru! it has served you well, send it off to valhalla!!!!

I actually thought about that but our fireplace is bricked up with tiles so I would have to do it outside... if our landlord caught us he would be like "oh, that's a slap in the face... burning trash outside my building!"

That's our running gag... to him every thing (dirty dishes, dust in the stairway, unchecked mail) is a slap in the face. He leaves my roomate phone messages complaning every time he visits to repair something.

When I have a piece of frozen meat I need to "downsize" for a menu item, I give it to my husband to take out to his workshop and cut to size with his band saw. Works great. I don't use wood cutting boards because I'm afraid of any residual bacteria. I use either plastic or marble. TGIF and have a nice weekend everyone.

I have a Coran (sp) cutting board that was a gift..I havent used it yet. Will it hold up to cutting? Will it scratch?
Marge

Back
Top Bottom