"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef

Sierra, that is quite an interesting chronology of the tin can. However, I did not see the date of the invention of the can opener.....

Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
Master Chef

You asked for it, here ya go Norgeskog. :D

British merchant Peter Durand made an impact on food preservation with his 1810 invention of the tin can. The first tin cans were very thick and had to be hammered open. John Hall and Bryan Dorkin opened the first commercial canning factory in England in 1813. As cans became thinner, it became possible to invent simplier can openers. In 1858, Ezra J. Warner of Waterbury, Connecticut patented the first can opener. The U.S. military used it during the Civil War.

The inventor of the familiar household can opener was William Lyman. William Lyman patented a very easy to use can opener in 1870. The kind with the wheel that rolls and cuts around the rim of a can. The Star Can Company of San Francisco improved William Lyman's can opener in 1925 by adding a serrated edge to the wheel. An electric version of the same type of can opener was first sold in December of 1931.

In 1866, J. Osterhoudt patented the tin can with a key opener.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
You asked for it, here ya go Norgeskog. :D

British merchant Peter Durand made an impact on food preservation with his 1810 invention of the tin can. In 1866, J. Osterhoudt patented the tin can with a key opener.
Sierra Cook, where do you get your info, are you a walking enclyclopedia?? I especially liked the part about having to pound the cans with a hammer to open, what a concept, open the can and tenderize the meat with one fells swoop....
Old 03-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #14
Master Chef

It is amazing the stuff you can find on the internet. I think I found that answer at about.com. I another site I like to go to is http://www.howstuffworks.com/. To me the internet is like having a giant encyclopedia at your finger tips!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
It is amazing the stuff you can find on the internet. I think I found that answer at about.com. I another site I like to go to is http://www.howstuffworks.com/. To me the internet is like having a giant encyclopedia at your finger tips!!
Oh I totally agree SierraCook, but sometimes I do not have or am not in the mood to take the time. Lazy I imagine in my retirement. One of these days I will get back into the swing of almost working.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #16
Master Chef

#1 Luvs -- was NOT insulting northerners at all, and I'm not a southerner. Just the NYC TV chefs who claim they only cook food in season and local when I know darned well that there is nothing that grows in NYC in February, period. SO what the heck are these chefs serving at their restaurants in February, March, April (OK, maybe you can get some herbs and a lettuce/spinach bed out in April).

#2 My goodness, you have me beat in the food history department, Sierra!!!! I laughed! You do pretty much have the answer I was looking for. Napoleon believed an army fights on a full stomach, and had green beans "canned" in champagne bottles (which are the strongest, for obvious reasons). And I thought my husband was a font of useless, but fun, information!!! Interesting, isn't it, that home canning is really an all-american thing. Not saying no one else did or does it, but that pioneer spirit can't be beat.