"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #41
Master Chef

I've also heard that the heavy crust at the edge was for miners to hold onto with their coal-coated hands, and then be tossed away (I assume in better times). We have pastie places around here, and the ones I've had were delicious, but very, very, very heavy fare. Kinda made me think of tourtiere in a way. Savory pies have sort of left our culture (besides maybe some of the Italian ones), and they used to be the working-man's staple ... easy to carry, good hot or cold. In some cases they were the 1800s equivalent to fast food .... a person (usually a widow, I think), would make them up every night, then sell them from a cart to workers who had no kitchens (I'm referring not only to pasties, but all kinds of savory pies and turnovers). A person could come out of their mine, factory, whatever, and buy one, eat it out of hand in a few minutes, and be back at work in no time. A whole pie could be purchased on the way home from work and be eaten from for several days.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #42
Master Chef

Yes, claire, they are very, very heavy! Definately not an every-day kind of food--at least not for me. I guess that was part of the appeal for the miners--they were sure to keep them nourished and full until they got home in the evening. My grandma used to make them from scratch--they're still the best! I remember one summer my cousin went to visit her during a horrible heat wave. It was in the mid 90s and she didn't have air conditioning. She had made him pasties (keep in mind, these heavy monsters aren't good summer food) and was so excited to have him there he had to eat two to please her. He said he's never felt so ill!

Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #43
Master Chef

Good fun! People who read what we are writing have to remember, these foods were created in coutries that never got truly warm as we know it, and where fat and extra calories were a GOOD thing!! If you try them now, bear that in mind!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

you can eat as many as you wish, so long as you are digging hundreds of feet in to the ground!
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #45
Master Chef

My cousin had his two with several beers, in a feeble attempt to stave off the heat. Not one of the smarter things he's done!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #46
Hospitality Queen

sounds quite interesting, and I really enjoy reading about the history of these little gems...
however....
I'm wondering about that one bite you take where it's 1/2 meat/onion/potato/carrot and 1/2 jam.........sounds kinda weird....
I wonder if there are any bakeries around here that have them as regular fare.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #47
Master Chef

I have a recipe somewhere at home, jkath. I'll try to dig it out and post it for you.

I forget where I read it but there's a certain name for the ones with the jam in one end. Anyway, it's not common at all. That's why I always just dip mine in some jam, if I'm using it. I've never made them myself, as hubby isn't crazy about them and they're too much of a temptation for me! They're best saved as a special treat when my parents or I visit the UP. My grandma bought me a little thermal bag so that we can bring a couple home. She calls it The Purple Pastie Pouch. :) I tend to ration them out so much that they're freezer burnt before I get to them! I just hate the thought of being without, I guess! :oops:
Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #48
Executive Chef

[quote="PA Baker"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire

UP Michigan Pasties are yummy :!:
I love them, too, Bang!

I horrify my family because I like them with strawberry jam sometimes. Rest of the time I eat them with ketsup or just plain. How do you eat yours?
There is a place here in Livonia that makes them. I eat them with ketsup or butter. I have bewen known to eat at least three per day. Especailly when I am up north.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #49
Master Chef

That's a lot of pasties, Bang! Butter is an interesting idea. I'll have to suggest that to DH--he doesn't like them because he thinks they're dry and isn't big on ketchup (and thinks my strawberry jam thing is disgusting!).

Jkath, I've posted a recipe and a little more info here:
http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=8055
Old 01-21-2005, 02:09 AM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I have a recipe somewhere at home, jkath. I'll try to dig it out and post it for you.

I forget where I read it but there's a certain name for the ones with the jam in one end. Anyway, it's not common at all. That's why I always just dip mine in some jam, if I'm using it. I've never made them myself, as hubby isn't crazy about them and they're too much of a temptation for me! They're best saved as a special treat when my parents or I visit the UP. My grandma bought me a little thermal bag so that we can bring a couple home. She calls it The Purple Pastie Pouch. :) I tend to ration them out so much that they're freezer burnt before I get to them! I just hate the thought of being without, I guess! :oops:
I remember reading abut that once. There were pies with meat on one end and jam or apples on the other. Meal and dessert in one.

Pam