"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #51
Master Chef

You don't need a recipe for pasties, you just put stew in a pastry, fold in in half, and bake it. That's what they did in the old days. Mrs Jones' tasted different from Mrs Smith's. In January you had a completely different flavor than in June, and different yet than in September. I'd be willing to bet that someone threw my split pea soup into a pie crust and gave it to her husband to take to work one day.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #52
Executive Chef

The sweet and savoury sort of a pasty originated in Bedfordshire (in England) and was called a 'Clanger'.

The honour of where pasties were invented has been a matter of friendly rivalry between Cornwall and Devon for centuries - Devonians call them Oggies!

(I put this information on the thread started about pasties by PABaker in one of the other fora - so apologies to those of you who are reading it for the second time!)

Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #53
Master Chef

This is one of those things you shouldn't use a recipe for. The idea is that you have a great stew for dinner ... be it plain old beef stew, poor man's soup, or coq au vin (chicken stew). Then you put the leftovers in a pie crust. Ta Da!!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #54
Master Chef

Claire: It's true that you can fill these things with virtually anything. In fact, we have a pizza place in my home town that made their name making pizza pasties. However, in the U.P, the traditional pastie is made like this:
1 lb. very coarsly ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1 cup diced potato
1/2 cup diced rutabega
1/2 cup sliced carrot (optional)
2 stalks celery, sliced
three cloves garlic, minced
1/2 stick (about 3 tbs.) butter
1/2 recipe single pie crust per person

Brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic in a lightly oiled heavy pan. While the beef is cooking, place the veggies into a pot of boiling water and cook for no more than ten minutes.

Drain the ground beef; drain the veggies, combine together with the butter. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper.

Let cool a little. Roll the pie crust halves into nin-inch circles. Spoon filling onto one side and fold the other over the top. Roll the outer edges inward to form a kind of handle. Poke a few vent holes in the top and bake for about 30 minutes in a 375' overn until the crust is browned to your liking.

Serve with beef gravy (thickened with a roux), or catsup, or both, and with a glass of very cold milk, or better yet, a tofu/banana/straberry smoothie.

Yum :D

This is comfort food at its best and is not for someone who has to watch their carbs or calories, which is why I make them about once a year.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #55
Master Chef

dinty moore beef stew
budweiser
cheeseburgers
fish sticks
Old 01-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Did anyone mention crab cakes?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
Did anyone mention crab cakes?
That's a great one, Bang! Talk about variations and opinions on what is the "right" recipe and technique!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #58
Master Chef

Humm Lugaru - guess it's tough to define "American" food since it's as regional as "Mexican" food.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #59
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
If you want authentic American food, need to go to the Native Americans who were here first. THe other foods in this country are merely adaptations of the European or country of origin of those who immigrated here and settled, then took their culinary habits and used native food items to enhance them.
That's one of the subjects I have always been very curius about yet know nothing of. The girl I dated for the longest time has exactly half Cherokee but grew up eating canned and boxed food so knew nothing of native cooking. And it's something I've never seen a special, book or article about.

Do you know of any good resources for native and naitive inspired cooking?
There is a Native American Culinary Institute on line, they are not well organized but some recipes and ingredients there. Google Native American Foods and see what you get. I was surprised.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #60
Master Chef

wings and beer.