"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Senior Cook
ummmmmmmmmmmmm butter i normally go with land o lakes but
on spec occ i will buy the european brand not sure of the name.

is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
i like many of the aforementioned.

lurpak is excellent, so is president, and unsalted land-o-lakes is usually found in my fridge.

i prefer unsalted butter if available. if i want salt, i'll add salt.

the best butter i've ever had by far was freshly churned butter; once in ireland, and once in wisconsin. like most things that are made from milk and cream, freshness is the key. even a day or two later, and it's just not as good.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Master Chef
Oh boy - do I remember having fun as a "cooking kid" making butter from heavy cream. I thought that was the coolest thing - lol!!!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
Sous Chef
This was an interesting post. I wondered about the different tastes of butter ever since reading that they're not all the same. For years, my mom bought margerine, never butter. I followed suit until I started to learn to like cooking. The best I've tried is Land 'o Lakes, but now I'm going to look out for some of those others. Someone here said "shame on me" about spreading "I Can't Believe..." on toast... That's not so terrible a thing to do is it? Recently, I tried the Smart Balance product (for toast), and it's not bad, doesn't seem to me to have an artificial taste, although now that I know I'm butter challenged, I could be wrong.
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
Master Chef
Sandyj - I really like the taste of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", but husband prefers "Smart Balance", so we always have both in the fridge, since we both have cholesterol issues.

Because of the liquid content of both of the above, they unfortunately don't fare well when one has to saute something - like mushrooms. They really end up "steaming" the food, rather than sauteeing, which is why I still do keep unsalted Land O Lakes around for cooking.

However, both Smart Balance & I Can't Believe perform admirably as spreads & for flavoring hot veggies, etc.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Land O' Lakes is really good butter, and they make the Stop and Shop Brand, so if you live near a Stop and Shop, watch for the sales!!! It's a great deal! I like Land O' Lakes for most baking, and most cooking.. Unsalted, only.

For serving I buy Ronnybrook from the Greenmarket, or sometimes I'll make butter myself from the Ronnybrook Cream. It doesn't take long in the Cuisinart...
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Master Chef
I like Lurpak (salted) for spreading and on veggies. Or Kerrygold. They have both in my Stop and Shop.

Otherwise it's unsalted Land O Lakes. Or Stop and Shop brand now, thanks to June.

If you can find Vermont Butter and Cheese Co. butter, it's fabulous. COmes in a roll.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Constance
I haven't heard of any those except the Land 'o Lakes brand, Black Chef. We have that, a local brand called Prairie Farms, and the store brand available. Being the middle of the road person that I am, I always buy Prairie Farms.
the european-style butter has to have greater than 82% butterfat content.

it costs a little more, but it gives your dishes that extra boost of creaminess we all love.

as stated, i LOVE the straus family european-style... it's organic, it's got a VERY high butterfat content, and it tastes wonderful. i buy it at the local Whole Foods Market.

scroll down their page.
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
and yet not one vote for Plugra, readily available for mega bucks here.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #20
Head Chef
black chef I have never heard of the butter that you mentioned. In California we have Land Of Lakes, I Can't Believe It Isn't Butter, Healthy Choice, Smart Balance etc.

My favorite is I Can't Believe It Isn't Butter."

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote