"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
and yet not one vote for Plugra, readily available for mega bucks here.
i can get plugra here in houston at the local grocery store... and it's great, no doubt, but it's expensive-very expensive.

even though the straus doesn't cost much less than the plugra, it is better and gives a much better taste to foods = use less, get more taste = lasts longer.

when i lived in new jersey, plugra was the mainstay... there was NOTHING else even close in comparison. it's great, but not for the price i have to pay here.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I can't believe it's not butter....sorry, had to...

I am a fan of butter. I like the pulgra, and sommerset. land o lakes is always a classic stand by.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #23
Master Chef

I buy the Lurpak and another brand mentioned here (sorry, can't go back and forth enough to mention it by name. No matter what anyone says, getting old is hades) are wonderful, but expensive, and to be honest with you, you can eat like cheese, so if I buy it, it is strictly for spreading. So LOL wins my points for what is available here. BUT, that said, there was a butter that was in most restaurants in No. Cal., Oregon, and Washington that tasted delicious. Anyone from those states know what it is?

I want to know what everyone's "fake butter" favorite is ... should I start a new thread? I keep both in my house -- fake butter for day-to-day, spread on a piece of toast use (we like brummel & browns), and real, good butter for when I really want to cook.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I buy the Lurpak and another brand mentioned here (sorry, can't go back and forth enough to mention it by name. No matter what anyone says, getting old is hades) are wonderful, but expensive, and to be honest with you, you can eat like cheese, so if I buy it, it is strictly for spreading. So LOL wins my points for what is available here. BUT, that said, there was a butter that was in most restaurants in No. Cal., Oregon, and Washington that tasted delicious. Anyone from those states know what it is?

I want to know what everyone's "fake butter" favorite is ... should I start a new thread? I keep both in my house -- fake butter for day-to-day, spread on a piece of toast use (we like brummel & browns), and real, good butter for when I really want to cook.
I really like Lurpak unsalted, and, when I can get hold of it, one called "Elle et Vire". Creamy, yummy, slathered on toast....
Old 10-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #25
Head Chef

I use salted butter mainly. Most things I bake benefit from a pinch of salt so salted butter takes care of that for me, lol.

I am surprised that noone has mentioned locally produced butters, or if they have I have missed it! I use our suppermarlet own, which I buy 6 at a time and freeze for emergencies. Lurpak etc are good for a uniform flavour anywhere and reliability, especially when adding to delicate food, but I like to use local butters. I guess I am lucky that my village in Somerset produces some of the best milk in the ****ry (as sold to a certain Egyptian grocer in London, lol) but like BreezyCooking, my neices and DH enjoy making butter in the food processor everynow and then. When we have pople saying over I make butter for breakfast, so easy and fresh.

Urmanic is right about Italian butter, we are experimenting with local Milanese butters to try and find one we love. So far the Alpine butters seem the best.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I can buy Amish made butter in two pound rolls, that is my preference. The only problem with it is that it seems to have inconsistency in the amount of salt added. So I test and label each roll as to the salt content. It is wonderful butter.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
and yet not one vote for Plugra, readily available for mega bucks here.
Plugra is good, too. I guess I just like Lurpak better. Will have to do a side by side taste test like Jeffrey Steingarten did to see why.

Plugra is made in America by the same folks that make Hotel Bar butter. I haven't found it to be that outrageously expensive, really. Especially if you bought it at Trader Joes (my TJ's doesn't carry it anymore, I don't think). You can get discount coupons for it at Keller's website.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
All we get at my house is Becel
So I'm gonna say Becel

We get the one with Olive Oil