And tonight's nosh is......? Friday, 10/18/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a large pot of chili today...heavy on some local ground chuck, light on the beans, and, that must have been some hot chili powder in that unmarked jar...think I will hold off adding the can of diced tomatoes with habaneros:ohmy::LOL:.

I'll buy some items there, but truth be told after seeing Harry's shrimp (no offense, Harry ;)), I kind of feel like something else now. And that would require a drive into the city, which I'm not sure I'm willing to do. Plus it will throw off my pup's schedule.
Hmmm, I wonder if I have any clams in the pantry :yum:

Well you could always rustle up a Clam Chowder and I can learn from your mistakes! ;)

Well you could always rustle up a Clam Chowder and I can learn from your mistakes! ;)

I haven't had home made clam chowder since I was a kid at deer camp. A guy who lived in Boston made it for the rest of us with fresh clams. I won't mention again what he strained them through :angel: (some may remember).

But I found some Lake Erie perch! I was kind of hoping to save the perch for Cleveland's by week and have it for my PPPC, but tonight it is. Maybe I'll make up a little plain mac and cheese to accompany it.

Keeping it simple with Schinken Noodles (ham cubes and egg noodles sautéd with green onions and a couple eggs scrambled in.) Marinated cucumber and tomato salad.

I haven't had home made clam chowder since I was a kid at deer camp. A guy who lived in Boston made it for the rest of us with fresh clams. I won't mention again what he strained them through :angel: (some may remember).

But I found some Lake Erie perch! I was kind of hoping to save the perch for Cleveland's by week and have it for my PPPC, but tonight it is. Maybe I'll make up a little plain mac and cheese to accompany it.

Tights! :sick: (pantyhose?)

Plain mac and cheese? What would a "non plain" one be? What do you normally add to it?

Something along those lines...

I don't think I've ever made a mac and cheese that hasn't had added stuff in it; sausage, broccoli, onion...
I'm going to do my best to make this one with four ingredients. Butter, milk, pasta and cheese... and maybe red pepper flakes. Or maybe some diced mushrooms. And if there's mushrooms there might as well be onions...

Something along those lines...

I don't think I've ever made a mac and cheese that hasn't had added stuff in it; sausage, broccoli, onion...
I'm going to do my best to make this one with four ingredients. Butter, milk, pasta and cheese... and maybe red pepper flakes. Or maybe some diced mushrooms. And if there's mushrooms there might as well be onions...

Ah yes. Very much like my Cauliflower Cheese then! :LOL:

Just be done with it and call it your special cheesy bake! ;)

Ah yes. Very much like my Cauliflower Cheese then! :LOL:

Just be done with it and call it your special cheesy bake! ;)

Baking properly requires a good oven. Which is my predicament with the toaster oven thing.
I'm a stovetop guy.

I have an oven. I just don't like the way it works.

So, my Lake Erie Perch and macaroni and cheese dinner.
Still working on the whites with the camera...

Attachments

• Perch and mac & cheese.jpg
    Perch and mac & cheese.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 160
I have an oven. I just don't like the way it works.

So, my Lake Erie Perch and macaroni and cheese dinner.
Still working on the whites with the camera...

Ah! Conchiglie I think? Looks delicious Pac. :yum:

(My camera is also doing the "white" thing! Very annoying!)

Ah! Conchiglie I think? Looks delicious Pac. :yum:

(My camera is also doing the "white" thing! Very annoying!)

Yeah, I don't get it. My old camera didn't blast the whites out of focus, but my new one does... but the rest of the colors come out better.

Yes, shells. All held together with shallots sweated in butter, milk, gruyere and cream cheese. And thanks!

Leftover chicken divan, raw cauliflower and grape tomatoes with ranch dressing. (Grape toms from the garden, no frost here yet, so a few tomatoes still ripening. :)

Omg, we went to the hippest Mexican restaurant I've ever been to! The decor was modern bohemian, that's the best that I could describe it, whoever was in charge of this place's decor has an amazing imagination.

The food was equally amazing. The staff was really friendly. You were given a bobble head figure as your wait marker, so instead of a buzzer your character was called out, ours was bobble head Darth Vader. As we were leaving, sitting on top of a wall was what looked like a mannequin, if you didn't know any better you would think that she was. Put a tip in her jar and she shook her tambourine and sang to you. It all combined to create an amazingly cool and energetic atmosphere. We'll definitely go back!

We walked across the parking lot and enjoyed an amazing coffee shop, everything scratch made and local roasted coffee and local dairy products.

I couldn't decide and I couldn't decide and I couldn't decide on dinner tonight. Well, you know how it goes sometimes. Finally I made scramble eggs, sausage patties, hash browns, one sliced tomato and toast. Bonus. A time savings and a head start on tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning is a trip to the farmer's market for another arm-load of tomatoes, no frost here yet, and they still have plenty. The squirrels pretty much took care of any tomatoes that grew in my garden. Also, I forgot to buy Potatoes at the regular store today, so will pick up some of thosse, and will see what kind of fall veggies are available.

We had chicken fried steak, home fries, and mixed vegis with garlic butter. I used forty_caliber's recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/chicken-fried-steak-84689.html#post1246847

That was very tasty, it's a keeper. :yum:

20131018_221833.jpg

20131018_222009.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight was a mega salad with tuna, navy beans, tomatoes, black olives, peas, green beans, sweet onion, red bell pepper, and extra sharp cheddar, tossed with a Dijon vinaigrette.

Yummy sounding (and looking) meals. Pacanis, your perch and mac n' cheese looks fantastic...especially with gruyere....yum. Bakechef, what a fun restaurant! Taxlady, oh how I love chicken fried steak, yours looks so good with those veggies and the gravy. :yum:

I had Chinese take out tonight. Been a long week. :)

Back
Top Bottom