And tonight's nosh is......? Friday, 10/18/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Change of plans (not unusual around here). Himself uttered magic words: "We haven't had broasted chicken in a while". Up I sprang, dialed the local joint that makes it, and sent him on his merry way while I popped open a tube of corn biscuits and nuked some frozen peas. Sausage veggie bake on the menu tomorrow. Probably. :LOL:

...So, my Lake Erie Perch and macaroni and cheese dinner....
*groan* I haven't had Lake Erie perch for sooo long and yours looks soooo very good! Almost licked the screen! :yum:

I swear when Himself and I move back home we're taking a hike up to your place, grabbing some bottles of Mazza, and coming over for dinner. :LOL:

Omg, we went to the hippest Mexican restaurant I've ever been to! The decor was modern bohemian, that's the best that I could describe it, whoever was in charge of this place's decor has an amazing imagination.....
Our favorite cantina has rather strangely painted walls in the ladies' room. There are guys all over the walls! One is hiding behind a cactus, holding a camera, as you go about your business. :ohmy: Very disconcerting! :LOL:

I have an oven. I just don't like the way it works.

So, my Lake Erie Perch and macaroni and cheese dinner.
Still working on the whites with the camera...
just been reading up about your perch pac....sounds like a fabulous eating fish.we have perch over here,great fighting fish when you fish for them on light tackle but mostly bone with very little meat on them.
i agree with the goddess about coming to you for dinner...that perch sounds like it may be worth the price of a plane ticket:yum:!!

Yeah, I don't get it. My old camera didn't blast the whites out of focus, but my new one does... but the rest of the colors come out better.

Hint: Don't use the camera's flash. It really blows out highlights. I have a macro studio made out of a box with a light to the side of it that I sometimes use, like the chicken-peppers-sauce dish I posted yesterday, and I have a foam board on the opposite side for even lighting.

Or sometimes I put the plate on the stove so it's lit by the light under the microwave.

Last edited:
I wasn't feeling well for much of yesterday, so dinner was a last-minute thing. I Googled kielbasa, onions and apples and a Rachael Ray recipe popped up for roasting those items with baby potatoes, which I also happened to have. So I did that and served the dish with mustard - traditional yellow for me and spicy brown for DH. I cooked the apples in a separate dish with honey and cinnamon.

Not bad, but needs more seasoning. I wasn't very creative last night, but it was filling. And the apples, onions and potatoes were all from the farmers market :yum:

Hint: Don't use the camera's flash. It really blows out highlights. I have a macro studio made out of a box with a light to the side of it that I sometimes use, like the chicken-peppers-sauce dish I posted yesterday, and I have a foam board on the opposite side for even lighting.

Or sometimes I put the plate on the stove so it's lit by the light under the microwave.
+1 on the "no flash" photo's gg.i use the lights in the extractor above my hob or put the plate on the work top(counter top) under the wall cupboard lights.
don't know what photo system you have on your computer pac(don't even know what mine is...i just know which keys to hit...bit of a techno dunce!!)but i'm sure that after you've downloaded your pics you'll find a "fix" button that allows you to adjust the colour,tint & contrast etc etc of each photo.
hope you're feeling better now gg:)!

As far as photo taking goes I have a lot to improve on also. I am only going to go so far, though. It is dinner time, afterall. :LOL:I have a desk lamp that sits on a side table in the kitchen that I use sometimes. I just put the plate on the table where I usually eat, pull the lamp over and take a few shots. The flash can wash out the photo, so I try not to use it much. I like to get in close and down on a 45 degree angle so it adds dimension. Makes me feel like a professional. GF sits and watches me like I am a bit crazy....:wacko:

Harry, as much as you love seafood you will really have to try to find some fresh water perch. They are fabulous and have a very firm flesh. So does walleye (yellow pike) their larger cousins.

My pics are virtually all flashless, like above. That's another thing about my new camera, it lets in so much light the flash rarely comes on, even iin my dark kitchen. Whereas my other camera the flash was always on so I learned to compensate by moving back and zooming in. For not using the flash the whites shouldn't be washing out like that, but I'll get it one of these tries. Tonight's another dinner, lol.

Harry, as much as you love seafood you will really have to try to find some fresh water perch. They are fabulous and have a very firm flesh. So does walleye (yellow pike) their larger cousins.

My pics are virtually all flashless, like above. That's another thing about my new camera, it lets in so much light the flash rarely comes on, even iin my dark kitchen. Whereas my other camera the flash was always on so I learned to compensate by moving back and zooming in. For not using the flash the whites shouldn't be washing out like that, but I'll get it one of these tries. Tonight's another dinner, lol.
nah,it's easier to jump on a plane & let you do the cookin'!!
here's a thought.it's one of the techniques i use when i'm photographing the inside of a property before it goes on the market for sale or rent,if the lighting is difficult.set the camera to:"forced flash on" in other words the flash is on permanently,whack on every light in the room & one should balance the other.you should also have an adjustment for "white balance" or something like that in your camera settings menu.that allows you to,ermmm,adjust the white balance.....:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO:!!
look forward to tonight's dinner,better be good pac,'cos my flight has just been called...........

nah,it's easier to jump on a plane & let you do the cookin'!!
here's a thought.it's one of the techniques i use when i'm photographing the inside of a property before it goes on the market for sale or rent,if the lighting is difficult.set the camera to:"forced flash on" in other words the flash is on permanently,whack on every light in the room & one should balance the other.you should also have an adjustment for "white balance" or something like that in your camera settings menu.that allows you to,ermmm,adjust the white balance.....:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO:!!
look forward to tonight's dinner,better be good pac,'cos my flight has just been called...........

Naw, you wouldn't want tonight's dinner at all... I was thinking of trying to recreate your shrimps from the other night :chef:

I've tried the force flash. I'll look for the white balance, or a setting so the flash is delayed briefly maybe.

So can you post a short write up on that bucatini shrimp and tomatoes thing?

Naw, you wouldn't want tonight's dinner at all... I was thinking of trying to recreate your shrimps from the other night :chef:

I've tried the force flash. I'll look for the white balance, or a setting so the flash is delayed briefly maybe.

So can you post a short write up on that bucatini shrimp and tomatoes thing?
funnily enough i've just got back from the bathroom having done the same thing.....man that chilli WAS hot:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!
okey schmokey so:per person
a)100-125g/4-5oz buccatini(my fav),spag or linguine
b)chopped chilli of choice or dried flakes
c)finely sliced garlic as much/little as you like
d)basil-i like greek but any will do
e)smoked pancetta-i use british drycure from tesco-also use smoked bacon
f)few glugs of evoo
g)200grms/8ozs cherry toms-i like fresh but canned are fine
h)lotsa ground black pepper-i use malabar from costco
i)as many fresh prawns...ok ok pac SHRIMP as you like
j)small glass of dry white wine-i like muscadet
how i do it
1)cook your pasta,drain & stir in a bit of evoo to stop it sticking while you cook the other ingredients
2)in the same pan,on a high heat,heat the evoo and fry off the pancetta or bacon with the garlic,chilli & black pepper.don't let the garlic burn.
3)chuck in the toms & stir until they start to pop & the juices run
4)chuck in the shrimp & the wine & just as the shrimp have cooked:
5)tip the cooked pasta back in with shrimp/toms etc,stir to mix & re heat the pasta.....serve & enjoy!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom