"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

thanks all for the help!!! I can't believe the ideas I got from posting on here.

So I believe I am going to do a muffaletta...she loves italian meats..so there we go.

So a muffalatte with really good italian loaf and meats and what not.

But first I am thinking of maybe some bruschetta to start things off.

And then the muffalatta with some simple side such as home made "chips" or something.

Then to finish it off I am going with the chocolated covered strawberries.

Thanks ..any more insight or ideas would be good!

Old 05-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnalex
thanks all for the help!!! I can't believe the ideas I got from posting on here.

So I believe I am going to do a muffaletta...she loves italian meats..so there we go.

So a muffalatte with really good italian loaf and meats and what not.

But first I am thinking of maybe some bruschetta to start things off.

And then the muffalatta with some simple side such as home made "chips" or something.

Then to finish it off I am going with the chocolated covered strawberries.

Thanks ..any more insight or ideas would be good!
Since you're already doing something with bread in the muffaletta, it seems kind of redundant to serve a bruschetta as a starter. Why don't you serve an Caprese Salad or Italian style seafood salad.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:07 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

hmmm thats what I was thinking as well.....italian style seafood saled...good thinking!

I am seriously glad I came here and asked.....
Old 05-29-2006, 04:39 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Here's a recipe for it but you'll have to scale it down unless you want a lot of leftovers:

Italian-style Seafood Salad
Old 05-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #15
Master Chef

You've inspired me. I haven't made a mufalleta in years.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I favor pasta salads or salads, and the bread won't get soggy - Caprese pasta salad (same as Caprese Salad - just add cooked rotini etc.), shrimp salad, antipasta pasta salad, bring along french bread or homemade garlic bread, fruit (pears, apples, etc.), cheese and wine or champage. If you're a fan of caviar -- bring along and spread on crackers -- or pate. (There are many pate recipes with different main ingredients, depending on what you like.). Lemon pound cake and fresh blueberries for dessert.

This serves 12, but you can put some away for later. Pack and serve in Chinese Take out containers.

"Take Out" Portable Shrimp Salad
Serving Size : 12

3 tbl plus 1 teaspoon salt
1 lemon cut into quarters
4 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tbl white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tbl minced fresh dill
1 cup minced red onion
3 cups minced celery

Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook uncovered for only 3 minutes or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Let cool; then peel, and devein the shrimp.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.

P.S. Don't forget to bring two Champage glasses.

If you have a small vase, place a rose (real preferably) in it, votives can probably burn safely in a little sand in a container.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Another thought, in keeping with the Chinese takeout containers -- if you enjoy Chinese food and eating with chopstix...

You can either make the dishes at home or go to a local takeout place, where you can pick (mix and match) a main dish & a noodle etc. There's a place I like where you can pick up a cold noodle dish, sesame orange chicken, peel 'n eat shrimp, bbq ribs, egg rolls, etc. The rice may not be a good choice cold -- but there are lots of dishes that transport well in the takeout containers, and you could serve with sake and (rig your own) fortune cookies. Sushi is another idea.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Head Chef

I'd never heard of mufalletta before. I've just found a recipe on the Web. Is all that cheese and meat romantic? Sounds tasty but it might leave you feeling a bit bloated, especially with a cold pasta salad. How about a foccacia bread sandwich with salade niçoise with slices of feta cheese rather than hard-boiled egg as the filling? Don't forget to use stoned olives, by the way! The feta will give it a nice acidic flavour if she likes tart things. Go easy on the anchovies. What with them and the feta, you'll be eating a lot of salt and the wine (white or champagne) will disappear far too quickly!

Happy anniversary whatever you choose.