Another Pleasant Barley Monday. 11/30/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No barley, orzo... turkey soup.....
img_1445877_0_36a4fb18ee56277d5c6e82df2b5d28a1.jpg

:LOL: Cheryl! Looks great, S&P!

Just struck me. If I used wild game in my soup, it could be Another Pheasant Barley Monday.

Last edited:
We left home around four to drop my car off at the mechanic's for its winter check-up, then headed to Lowe's for a couple of things. Well...... Ended up grabbing supper at the "new" (one-year old) Chick-fil-a that opened about 30 miles from us. We each had chicken sandwiches (mine was original with lettuce and tomato, Himself had the spicy chicken that lived up to its name) and split a large tub of their so-good waffle fries. :yum:

Didn't get home till after midnight. It's amazing how my "I wonder if..." question always ends up with Himself taking a detour. Lots of detours on the way home. :LOL:

I made vegetable soup. Of course I put in too much barley. It's good, but plenty thick...
The first time I made soup with barley, that happened. Each time I took the tub out to heat leftovers the barley had sucked up all the liquid - I must have ended up adding a full quart of broth to the leftovers before they were gone. Next (and subsequent) time, I used taxy's suggestion to pre-cook the barley in the same stock flavor that I was using for the soup. Perfect! Nicely cooked, soup stayed soupy, and the barley was flavorful and tender.

I love barley too. My problem is I don't measure. I poured it out of the box into the soup. Soup is pretty stiff. DH likes it though.
Dawg, I use purple barley, which has to be soaked overnight. I cook the barley separate in stock, of course, and add it to the soup close to the end. That way, I can gauge how much to add.

Dawg, I use purple barley, which has to be soaked overnight. I cook the barley separate in stock, of course, and add it to the soup close to the end. That way, I can gauge how much to add.

Purple barley sounds interesting, CWS. I just used regular quick cook Quaker, with a heavy hand. My own fault.

Back
Top Bottom