"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

Lentil soup and a dish of strawberries with whipped cream!

CG, I've started making small amounts of whipped cream using a clean Smucker's peanut butter jar and the stick blender, any excuse to buy another jar of peanut butter!

Old 06-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
Master Chef

That's a good idea, AB, but I pretty much do a squirt from the Cabot can.

I do have a couple of empty Smucker jars for "just in case", but right now we actually prefer a different brand. I tried "Hampton Farms" on a whim, and we were smitten. I get the tub of natural. It really tastes like fresh-ground. It's a little thicker than the Smuckers; I like that about it, too. Plus, it's easier to find and a whole dime cheaper!

Old 06-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I made what Steve Kroll made Friday but I used this recipe Shrimp Gumbo with Andouille Sausage Recipe - NYT Cooking It is quite good but could be better. Perhaps the flavors need more time to blend. Everything I cook is better the next day after 24 hrs of sitting in the fridge.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Still wrestling with my maintenance medication and, thus, not up to par.

Decided to do a play on osso buco and make it using turkey legs and do it in the crock-pot. Sure smells good and we'll have risotto with it if I feel good enough. Otherwise, I'll prepare pasta of some form. We've been eating a little less lately, so no dessert tonight. We tend to eat less during the warmer months anyway, so nothing too unusual.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
Executive Chef

It all started from a few spinach leaves I picked from the garden...I found a dough ball in the freezer, made up some pizza sauce and had all of the other fixin's so I decided on a Chicken Florentine pizza. Then, I tossed some ham in there and, this was it...
Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #16
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hope you like that recipe as much as we do 10speed. I noticed on another thread that you aren't a salt lover like me, so go easy on the fish sauce.

SC got a pork shoulder out of the freezer, and I'll be doing Kaluha pig in the Nesco Roaster.
K, Kaluha or Kalua Pig ??
I saw something on Pinterest where the cook STUFFED Cabbage with Kalua Pork, MMM, what a great idea!

We're having a second meal off of the Smithfield Portobello Pork Loin, along with roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes and Broccolini
For dessert, I'm making Apple and Pecan Crostata to share with our new landlords.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 AM   #17
Master Chef

K-Girl, maybe Kayelle made Kahlua pig.

Himself first questioned whether or not I actually had chicken under the peppers/onions/etc! Yeah, I overdid the "smothered" part, but that's what makes it so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-05 22.31.48.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24864  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Chicken thighs came out perfect (moist and tender), but the sauce is a lot sweeter than we are used to. Might be the particular brand I bought, but with that amount of sugar I think it could stand up to a lot more Sriracha. CG suggested using it as a glaze for grilled chicken, and I might give that a try. Sparingly, though, as that stuff is pretty caloric.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:42 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
CG, I've started making small amounts of whipped cream using a clean Smucker's peanut butter jar and the stick blender, any excuse to buy another jar of peanut butter!

You know you can put some cream in a small clean glass jar (not sure if it works with plastic), like a jelly jar or a pint jar, and shake it baby shake it and it will form whipped cream. Saw that a while back as a tip on some site a while back. It actually does work and only the jar gets messed up. Uses up a few of the calories you are going to be eating via the whipped cream too!
Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #20
Head Chef

Definitely not the prettiest plate but our stuffed mirlitons with crawfish buttercream sauce and rice pilaf sure tasted good.

Tags
dinner, other