Another Pleasant Valley Sunday. Dinner 6/5/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
We will have spaghetti with sausage marinara meat sauce.

How 'bout you?

Probably will just snack today. We had a big potluck picnic at church for lunch so ate more than usual for midday meal.

Thai chicken thighs (the recipe that Kayelle posted the other day), lime basmati rice, broc. I stopped at the Asian market to get some sweet chili sauce and fish sauce. They had a few brands of fish sauce, so I grabbed one at random. When I got to the checkout:

Store guy - "Do you know what you are doing with this?"
Me - "No. The recipe calls for it, but I've never used it before."
Store guy - "Then you don't want this. Get the clear sauce - Squid brand. This stuff scares even me."

Now I know that there is more than one type of fish sauce. But at $1.99 for a 25 oz. bottle, I think I have a lifetime supply.

Rock, glad you mentioned that! Will check it out!

Tenspeed, that cracked me up! I use fish sauce for a lot of things. Have fun with it!

Hope you like that recipe as much as we do 10speed. I noticed on another thread that you aren't a salt lover like me, so go easy on the fish sauce.

SC got a pork shoulder out of the freezer, and I'll be doing Kaluha pig in the Nesco Roaster.

Mirliton halves with a crawfish cream sauce and a rice pilaf.:yum:

We're going out for my birthday dinner tonight, to a local tapas place that is having a special dinner with tequila pairings. Should be good!

Attachments

• 2016-06-02 14.59.40.jpg
    2016-06-02 14.59.40.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 257
Looks like a fun night, GG. Have a great time!

It's cool-ish and rainy today. A decent summer day to run the oven. We'll have smothered chicken breasts (peppers, onions, mushrooms and mozz cheese) with broccoli and salads. Might toss a halved red potato or two into the pan with the chicken, but not sure yet.

Dessert tonight. I have a boatload of strawberries - I need to use 'em before I lose 'em. Lots of berries over a little pound cake with a splurt of whipping cream.

Lentil soup and a dish of strawberries with whipped cream! :yum:

CG, I've started making small amounts of whipped cream using a clean Smucker's peanut butter jar and the stick blender, any excuse to buy another jar of peanut butter! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That's a good idea, AB, but I pretty much do a squirt from the Cabot can. :LOL:

I do have a couple of empty Smucker jars for "just in case", but right now we actually prefer a different brand. I tried "Hampton Farms" on a whim, and we were smitten. I get the tub of natural. It really tastes like fresh-ground. It's a little thicker than the Smuckers; I like that about it, too. Plus, it's easier to find and a whole dime cheaper! :LOL:

Still wrestling with my maintenance medication and, thus, not up to par.

Decided to do a play on osso buco and make it using turkey legs and do it in the crock-pot. Sure smells good and we'll have risotto with it if I feel good enough. Otherwise, I'll prepare pasta of some form. We've been eating a little less lately, so no dessert tonight. We tend to eat less during the warmer months anyway, so nothing too unusual.

Last edited:
It all started from a few spinach leaves I picked from the garden...I found a dough ball in the freezer, made up some pizza sauce and had all of the other fixin's so I decided on a Chicken Florentine pizza. Then, I tossed some ham in there and, this was it...
1Yz82cT.jpg

Hope you like that recipe as much as we do 10speed. I noticed on another thread that you aren't a salt lover like me, so go easy on the fish sauce.

SC got a pork shoulder out of the freezer, and I'll be doing Kaluha pig in the Nesco Roaster.

K, Kaluha or Kalua Pig ?? :LOL:
I saw something on Pinterest where the cook STUFFED Cabbage with Kalua Pork, MMM, what a great idea!

We're having a second meal off of the Smithfield Portobello Pork Loin, along with roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes and Broccolini
For dessert, I'm making Apple and Pecan Crostata to share with our new landlords.

K-Girl, maybe Kayelle made Kahlua pig. :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:

Himself first questioned whether or not I actually had chicken under the peppers/onions/etc! Yeah, I overdid the "smothered" part, but that's what makes it so good.

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 22.31.48.jpg
    2016-06-05 22.31.48.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 183
Chicken thighs came out perfect (moist and tender), but the sauce is a lot sweeter than we are used to. Might be the particular brand I bought, but with that amount of sugar I think it could stand up to a lot more Sriracha. CG suggested using it as a glaze for grilled chicken, and I might give that a try. Sparingly, though, as that stuff is pretty caloric.

CG, I've started making small amounts of whipped cream using a clean Smucker's peanut butter jar and the stick blender, any excuse to buy another jar of peanut butter! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You know you can put some cream in a small clean glass jar (not sure if it works with plastic), like a jelly jar or a pint jar, and shake it baby shake it and it will form whipped cream. Saw that a while back as a tip on some site a while back. It actually does work and only the jar gets messed up. Uses up a few of the calories you are going to be eating via the whipped cream too! :ROFLMAO:

Definitely not the prettiest plate but our stuffed mirlitons with crawfish buttercream sauce and rice pilaf sure tasted good.

37240-albums1042-picture6556.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom