"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Anyone cookin today? Monday Dec 12th...

good cold morning
Today, while contractors are *prayerfully* still coming , I am soaking in H20 great white northern beans then putting them in with the rest of the brisket I did last night. There isn't much left, DH did get a sandwich for work. I'll also toss in onions, garlic, seasonings and the broth from the beef. It'll be some sort of a bean type casserole and won't know much more until I get cracken on the ingredients which is after the beans soften up a bit. I'm hoping for a rich broth and succulent white beans and will offer caprese salad. I have about 12 tomatoes still in the backyard and the basil is swiftly wilting due to the frost. If the workers leave me room, I'll do a few more batches of cookies for the holidays.

Well the contractor is here and I am still waiting for the other two. Hum......the house smells wonderful as the broth and the beans are simmerin away. It is too early in the day for Eggnog? Hope not......everyone's dinners sound wonderful.....

What are you making?

Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Master Chef

Once again I have meat thawing out but not sure as to what I'm going to do with it......kind of like my DH on a cold, lazy Sunday .

Seriously though......I have 2 thick butterfly cut pork chops thawing out.

I was thinking about pounding them out....not too thin and making a stuffing with sage, other herbs/seasonings and apples and rolling the chops up around the stuffing. Maybe serving those up with fresh asparagus.....quickly blanched and then drizzled with EVOO, S & P.....or I may roast them instead. Also, chunks of butternut squash roasted with brown sugar, butter, bacon, S & P....tilll fork tender.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Turkey Schnitzel, potato casserole and roasted bell peppers... some stollen for the after dinner sweet!!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Turkey Schnitzel, potato casserole and roasted bell peppers... some stollen for the after dinner sweet!!
Ohhh, can I pop by for dinner tonight Licia?

I'm going to make DH some mussels with bread crumbs, parsely, lemon juice, garlic, etc baked in the oven. And a sort of Middle Eastern inspired pilaf that I love, for both of us.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
Ohhh, can I pop by for dinner tonight Licia?

I'm going to make DH some mussels with bread crumbs, parsely, lemon juice, garlic, etc baked in the oven. And a sort of Middle Eastern inspired pilaf that I love, for both of us.
Come on over with Tony!! There will be plenty to go around!! You can bring some of those mussels and pilaf, too !! We will all share!!

Btw you must try this stollen, they are absollllluuuuutely delicious!!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
??? Yep. I'll be cooking but I have no idea what I'll be fixing.
Split pea soup sounds really good.

Paul wants lentil soup so... that's what we'll be having.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Come on over with Tony!! There will be plenty to go around!! You can bring some of those mussels and pilaf, too !! We will all share!!

Btw you must try this stollen, they are absollllluuuuutely delicious!!
It's a deal, we'll be right over

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Everymom

I have some hamburger out but I am not inspired by that a bit. I have a craving for fajitas so I may dig out a steak and do that instead. Salad will be killer coleslaw and dessert will be Ishbel's Sticky Gingerbread Cake which is smelling FINE in the oven right now.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
What are you making?
Reservations
We are finally going out for my brothers birthday dinner. We are a bit behind since his birthday was in Oct. The poor guy gets shafted almost every year. He is not even picking the restaurant because we need one close to my house so we can get Rachel to sleep as quickly as possible after dinner. Thankfully he does not mind and he would do anything in the world for Rach so that works out well. We are going to a fish restaurant right down the street from my house. i have only been there once, but liked it a lot so I am looking forward to going back tonight.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #10
Head Chef

I am fixing short ribs from a recipe I saw the other day on Good Deal. It is short ribs with ginger, beer, rice vinegar, and hosin sauce. Served with mashed potatoes.