"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anyone Cooking Dinner Fri July 6?

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find a dinner thread for today....so I started one. I made pesto and I'm going to toss it with bow tie pasta, grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms and a bit of fresh tomato.

and what are you having?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since Buck and I had a heavenly late lunch out today, we're having leftover beer butt chicken from the Fourth of July.

We ate lunch at a restaurant that opened in March and is owned/operated by a high school classmate of mine. Fabulous food. I had their chef's salad. It was more like a chef's harvest. A bed of numerous greens (mesculun, dandelion, romaine, etc.), sweet suculent tomato wedges, cucumber slices, tender broccoli, red onion rings, shredded carrots, shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar, sliced turkey, sliced ham, halves of hard-boiled eggs, crisply-fried bacon pieces, and the whole thing was topped with huge strips of grilled chicken breast. I ordered blue cheese dressing. The salad was so good it didn't need any salt/seasoning of any kind.

Buck had their grilled ribeye po'boy, topped with lettuce, tomato, and red onion. His sandwich came with a side of wonderful big, steaming hot, fries.

It's after 6 p.m. here and I'm still full. Don't think I'll have to eat for a week.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

I made a chicken stew in the crock pot and served over white rice that I made.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I was looking for one earliear too, I spose everyone's taking it slow seeing as it's a friday

My mom and I are up at our cottage and have been since Monday. we went into town the day before last to do some grocery shopping (we left the day after Canada day so all of the stores were closed and we were unable to bring much up). There is a wonderful farm that is only about 3 minutes away from the store (very small town) where they always have the best strawberries! so we picked up a flat of those (and now we have a ton of strawberries and need a way to eat em all before they go bad on us!) along with some fresh potatoes and some sugar snap peas.

For the last coupld of nights we have been having all of the wonderful produce (including some corn that we picked up).

tonight we were looking for a way to switch it up a bit so I made a "shepard's pie" type filling (with the soy ground beef and fresh corn kernals of course) then boiled up some of the potatoes and had them along side each other.
another excellent meal with leftovers for tomorrow!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

Tonight I cobbled up a 4 Pepper Enchilada sauce for ground beef
and had burrito things. Wanted some crunch, so I got some cabbage,
sliced it thin like for slaw and tossed in a bit of cider vinegar. That and
some Manchego cheese and sliced avocado went into tortillas. Was pretty
good, even if I cheated and used canned enchilada sauce. Las Familiarias (?) brand; was thick and tangy.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Since Buck and I had a heavenly late lunch out today, we're having leftover beer butt chicken from the Fourth of July.

We ate lunch at a restaurant that opened in March and is owned/operated by a high school classmate of mine. Fabulous food. I had their chef's salad. It was more like a chef's harvest. A bed of numerous greens (mesculun, dandelion, romaine, etc.), sweet suculent tomato wedges, cucumber slices, tender broccoli, red onion rings, shredded carrots, shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar, sliced turkey, sliced ham, halves of hard-boiled eggs, crisply-fried bacon pieces, and the whole thing was topped with huge strips of grilled chicken breast. I ordered blue cheese dressing. The salad was so good it didn't need any salt/seasoning of any kind.

Buck had their grilled ribeye po'boy, topped with lettuce, tomato, and red onion. His sandwich came with a side of wonderful big, steaming hot, fries.

It's after 6 p.m. here and I'm still full. Don't think I'll have to eat for a week.
Katie, that salad sounds fabulous! I make concoctions similar to that all summer long.... just throw whatever I'm feeling like eating onto a bed of fresh, tender greens.

Fridays I hardly ever cook. It's kinda the cook's night off. If I'm going to "do" take out, it'll be on Friday, OR I reheat leftovers, OR make sandwiches, like tonight... a can of Alaska salmon mixed with a bit of mayo and "good" mustard on the last of the Jewish rye with sliced Kirby cukes and loads of fresh red and green leaf lettuce for lots of crunch.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots
Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find a dinner thread for today....so I started one. I made pesto and I'm going to toss it with bow tie pasta, grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms and a bit of fresh tomato. and what are you having?
well darn it, wish I'd have seen this earlier I would have been on a plane to Kentucky. Sounds like it was wonderful. for me, it was a late and alone night so it was good ole Cherrios and skim milk with a gorgeous banana.