Anyone eat tonight? lol 6-21-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been running around and doing errands today, so didn't think too much about dinner.

Didn't feel like cooking, so I ended up with a BLT and a cup of leftover split pea soup. That was perfect. :yum:

What did everyone else have this evening? :chef:

SO's sister arrived from FL this morning for an extended visit. We just grilled some hot dogs and ate them on buttered toasted buns along with baked beans. Chocolate ganache cake for dessert.

TB grilled himself a steak, me a portabella with swiss cheese. He also grilled zucchini strips which I brushed with olive oil and herbs. We had some greek salad as well.

Dessert was Yonana - a frozen dessert made with bananas. I added mixed berries to this batch and it was great. It is just fruit that you freeze and put through this little machine called Yonana. I love it!

Yeah I took "time out" from cooking since it was a hot day and so compromised.

I bought an artisan ciabatta (that turned out to be far too salty) that I halved and crisped the crust up under a low grill. When cool, I split it in half and spread it with home-made egg mayo (I grate the boiled eggs). Spread it with parma ham, cucumber slices and a quality tomato, sliced.

I made some raw grated beetroot "salad" - just dressed with lemon juice and chilled. Divine! Normally have it with garlic but that makes you perspire in hot weather.

We had the chicken and tasso jambalaya Karen prep on Friday. Had another go round at Sur La Table, picking up a few items, including another All-Clad skillet.

I'm going to try and adapt my Cataplana recipe to the pressure cooker. Fingers crossed here.

Basically I'm going to layer kale and sliced onions, then sliced yukon potato's, a layer of pre-browned spanish chorizo, some mahi filets, sliced red peppers, and sliced lemons. The liquid will be white wine and olive oil. After that part cooks and the pressure is back down I'll open the pot, bring back to a simmer and add some shrimp and cherry tomato's. Buttermilk biscuits to help soak up the broth.

Our 30th anniversary is tomorrow, so we went out last night to celebrate. We went to a local steakhouse, but they also serve great seafood and were having a special on Alaskan seafood, so we ended up having that. We shared an appetizer of blackened sirloin bites with horseradish cream and fried onion strings. Then DH had Parmesan-crusted halibut with spinach, roasted potatoes and mustard beurre blanc, and I had the Alaskan Mixed Grill - grilled King salmon, sockeye salmon and halibut with mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and asparagus marinated in lemon juice and capers. We shared a bottle of French Columbard, a white wine from the Russian River in California; we spent our 25th anniversary visiting Sonoma County wineries, including one on the Russian River. We were too full for dessert :) We are planning a Caribbean cruise this winter for our big celebration present.

Last edited:
I made a kind of carrot stirfry (tastier than it sounds) to go with my burger and bun. Got a packet of carrot batons (price reduced). Placed some coconut oil + olive oil in a frying pan and lightly heated some coriander seeds and ground cummin (both needed to be used up). After about 1 min, I added the carrot batons and kept stirring every now and then, on medium heat.When about 5 mins had passed, I turned off the heat and covered them for a few mins.

I prepared a bowl with some tomato puree, chopped flat leaf parsley (same family as the carrot) and some tamari. Then stirred the carrots into this. They still had some bite and were really delicious! :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom