Anyone eating on Saturday, August 11th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i haven't seen today's dinner thread, so here it is.

we're going to the staten island yankees (class a affiliate of the ny yankees) game tonight witg the cub scouts, so dinner for us will be hot dogs, peanuts, and cracker jacks.

i don't care if we ever get back.

what are you cooking/eating today, august 11, 2012?

Shrimp cooked with shallots and mushrooms in a white wine and butter sauce served over pasta.

we're going to the staten island yankees (class a affiliate of the ny yankees) game tonight witg the cub scouts, so dinner for us will be hot dogs, peanuts, and cracker jacks.

i don't care if we ever get back.

what are you cooking/eating today, august 11, 2012?

LOL, Tom. :LOL: Sounds good, have a great time!

Just leftover orzo salad here, from yesterday. The veggies are still crunchy and good, but will bid goodbye to any left after today. I made way too much, haha.

I spent the majority of the day in the car and taking a 3 hour performance exam to get recertified for interpreting. No lunch. Got home and DS and I threw together our version of Mexican burritos.

Last night we had a lovely Prawn and Pineapple stir fry :yum:

Lots of vegetables thrown in too

Sounds good to me :)

Have a great time Tom ;)

I spent the majority of the day in the car and taking a 3 hour performance exam to get recertified for interpreting. No lunch. Got home and DS and I threw together our version of Mexican burritos.
Argh...you must be brain dead! What type of interpreting do you do?

We went to the garlic festival...I had ice cream and am not hungry, so am watching the Olympics and getting caught up on emails, etc.

Argh...you must be brain dead! What type of interpreting do you do?

Sign language interpreting. I get 30 mins to prep and then 3 separate scenarios to interpret. I have to sign what is being said, then sign and speak between a hearing person and a Deaf person, then speak what is being signed. This is done twice for the 2 different modes of interpreting. One of the testing rooms was having technical difficulties so we were sharing the test room between 2 of us. We alternated performing so it took longer than normal.

Sign language interpreting. I get 30 mins to prep and then 3 separate scenarios to interpret. I have to sign what is being said, then sign and speak between a hearing person and a Deaf person, then speak what is being signed. This is done twice for the 2 different modes of interpreting. One of the testing rooms was having technical difficulties so we were sharing the test room between 2 of us. We alternated performing so it took longer than normal.
That must have been tough. Hopefully you passed! I studied a number of languages and almost went to school to be an interpreter. I was accepted but couldn't come up with the money. The first six weeks I lived in Germany, my poor brain was so tired, I was in bed by 7:30-8:00 every night for the first 6-8 weeks. I was exhausted! Nice that supper was planned and you didn't have to do that too. I hope that you'll let us know when you find out about how you did. I'm sure you did fine.

For lunch, we had pasta with a sauce made from roasted eggplant and peppers, basil, garlic, chives, and fresh tomatoes. I also put in some red and black pepper. I used penne pasta and topped it with feta cheese.

I think I might have used too much red pepper, but will make it again!

We went over to some friends for a backyard BBQ today. I brought a bowl of Cowboy Caviar. The only change up to a standard recipe is I grilled corn on the cobs and de- cobbed them the other day. Some of the kernals were nicely carmelized, which I liked. There was lots of finger foods, crackers, and veggies and dips. I did snag two chicken wing pieces. I passed up on the burgers. Can you imagine passing up on something at a picnic? No matter. There were lots of vegetarian dishes/ salads. I was surprised as most of our friends are not known to be vegetariums. Maybe that's why the wings went so fast too. It was a great day to spend with friends, some who we have not seen in quite awhile. There were a few with grandkids too, so it was fun to watch them run around and play.

Beef sausage (like Polish sausage) sliced and cooked in sauerkraut. I was going to serve it with peas, which I think goes best with it, but we were out, so we had cauliflower.

That's wonderful. I'm fascinated with ASL and have learned some, and would love to learn more. Most of what I know I learned from a little 4-yr. old deaf girl at the child development center where I worked, before I retired. :wub: My daughter and I passed that on to my little grandson, he learned to sign for many things before he could even begin to talk. He's two yrs. old now. :)

thank you, cheryl and kylie. we had a lot of fun. the burgers and dogs were good, but i think they used rubber chichens for the chicken breast sandwiches. :mellow:. the peanuts and cracker jacks were great! we've been singing the song at home, so we had to make sure we had them at the game.
yeah, i know, it's kinda hokey.

during the game, one of the players tossed a foul ball to my boy. then we all got to run the bases after the game. they shot off fireworks as well with the skyline of lower manhattan in the background. the freedom tower (world trade center is finally looking impressive. but i still missd seeing those two old towers. :()

I spent the majority of the day in the car and taking a 3 hour performance exam to get recertified for interpreting.

man, that must have been a tough test! sign language while driving? talk about hands free!
free from the wheel, i guess.

i sure hope you didn't drive stick...

:mrgreen:

For lunch, we had pasta with a sauce made from roasted eggplant and peppers, basil, garlic, chives, and fresh tomatoes. I also put in some red and black pepper. I used penne pasta and topped it with feta cheese.

I think I might have used too much red pepper, but will make it again!

Kath, that sounds lovely :chef:

Another storm came through at dinnertime so pulled out the grill pan and cooked the chicken tenders I had out ( was going to do kabobs on the grill) then I tossed some wholewheat pasta with sliced cherry and grape tomatoes, basil, evoo, balsamic vinegar, and grated parm for a side dish.

Back
Top Bottom