Anyone Eating on Thursday, October 30th, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steamed broccoli, pasta and chicken Zelda tonight. Dessert will be apple or pumpkin pie. Baking day tomorrow.

Leftovers from lunch: Sliced, sauteed chicken breast chunks and brown rice in McCormick's Country Gravy.

Along with two mini Heath Bars and 5 mini packs of Twizzlers for dessert. Damn Halloween.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

[snip]

Along with two mini Heath Bars and 5 mini packs of Twizzlers for dessert. Damn Halloween.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

:mrgreen:

Leftover tuna casserole and a spinach salad with a honey mustard dressing. :yum:

After dinner snack of cheddar cheese & triscuits.

DH and I traded a couple hours of our time listening to a presentation on investments in exchange for a steak dinner at a very nice local steakhouse. It was okay. Ruth's Chris was better. The filet was tasty but the plate wasn't hot, so the food wasn't hot enough.

Not much for dinner tonight but I did have some nibbles. Here is some ham hock, pork and pistachio terrine I made the other day....
6iDxGkd.jpg

WOW!
Everyone's dinner sounds lovely (I miss Ruth Chris so much)
017.JPG
DH is working his part time job tonight,
so it was something quick on the table
(I was busy today coloring my hair)
Barilla Whole Grain Penne pasta
topped with my version of Chicken Cacciatore
a good shaving on the handheld grater of Grana Padano
Ice water for him and 'three buck chuck' sauvignon blanc for moi ;)

Oh man....great looking dinners Rock, kgirl and Joey! :ohmy::yum: Interesting way to bake Brussels sprouts, Joey...they look perfectly caramelized and so good.

Everyone's dinners sound so good, and inspiring, as always.

I went freezer diving tonight and pulled out the last of the split pea soup. Loaded up salad with lots of crunchy veggies on the side, and a slice of toasted sourdough.

Last edited:
For some reason today, I was flitting through the grocery store like a drunken leaf in a windstorm. Then I had to straighten out a Discover card issue for our daughter when she couldn't get her card accepted when buying my annual stash of Great Lakes Christmas Ale - so good and I can't buy it here. :( I was gone so long Himself called to make sure I was still alive and coming home with food. I told him it wouldn't hurt to rummage...

He came up with two Trader Joe finds: falafel and lemongrass sticks. Had them ready by the time I walked through the door. I brought home a rotisserie chicken since the store was out of the planned scrod for dinner and he picked from that. I wasn't interested in eating but I was cold, so I had a can of Progresso light chicken soup. Going nowhere tomorrow, so I should have no problem producing a real meal.

Meatloaf, garlic mashed taters, mushroom gravy and steamed broccoli.

Rock, do you happen to have a recipe or link for that terrine? That looks delicious.
It is called country terrine, Steve. I basically made my own recipe that I derived from 4 or 5 I saw in the internet. I bought a smoked ham hock, cleaned and shredded it. 3 lbs of ground pork, half of which I pureed in a food processor, so I would have different textures in the final product. I added a good handful of bread crumbs, a finely diced onion, and about 6 garlic cloves. A tsp of salt, one egg, some ground thyme, allspice and star anice. 1/4 cup of sherry, handful of chopped parsley and a good whack of fresh coarse ground pepper. About 25 whole shelled pistachios. Mixed it all together and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. I fried up a couple of small sample balls to make sure every thing tasted ok.

The following day, I used the common procedure of lining the bread loaf pans with bacon, divided my mixture in half and wrapped the bacon ends over the top. Covered them tightly with foil. Then, I baked the pans in a home made bain marie using a cake pan. I submerged the loaf pans about 3/4 the way up with boiling water from the kettle. Baked them for 2 hours at 325.

Took them out, and drained them. Placed another baking pan on top of each one and put them in the fridge with a cutting board over the top and also a heavy iron dutch oven lid. They need to be pressed like this for another 24 hours while chilling in the fridge. The next day you just take them out of the fridge and remove them from the pans. Slice as you wish and eat.....I got two terrines and sliced them up and shrink wrapped them in about 7 or 8 small serving sized portions.....

You can find many different recipes and procedures for Country Terrine on line but that is how I did these ones...A bit of work, but quite easy and very fun and rewarding. I have some duck in the freezer I am already planning my next ones....I may go with more pork, orange zest and brandy, some kind of nut again.... not sure yet....something along these lines...http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8202/duck-and-pork-terrine-with-cranberries-and-pistach

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom