Anyone here use ghee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use ghee in recipes that call for it. (like when I'm making east indian dishes) Ghee is basically clarified butter that has been cooked a bit longer to remove all the water from the butter. (it can be stored in the fridge and for longer than regular clarified butter which tends to get a bit grainy when chilled sometimes)

Cookboymanchild- clarified butter and ghee are both a type of oil that is made from butter. Basically you melt down butter and heat it until the whey proteins foam and rise to the top. You then skim off the foam until all that is left is the clear, yellow-ish butterfat. (also a good idea to strain it through cheesecloth as some milk solids sink to the bottom during the cooking process and you dont want those in your clarified butter)

Depends what I'm cooking. I only use ghee for Indian/Pakistani dishes, clarified butter in some European dishes and butter (salted and unsalted) for other dishes. It's not an either/or.

I've bought and made ghee before, but only when butter tends to go on sale. As much as I love it, the same thing applies to making clarifed butter as well. Durring the holidays or if I know that I've got a lot of cooking coming up I will try to prepare some clarifed butter in advance, it wonderful to cook with (I think).

I used to clarify my own butter and use it. However these days I wouldn't use much more than 500g of butter in a whole year.
Medical son recently mentioned India was a cardiologist's paradise thanks to ghee.

patch said:
I used to clarify my own butter and use it. However these days I wouldn't use much more than 500g of butter in a whole year.
Medical son recently mentioned India was a cardiologist's paradise thanks to ghee.

"everything in moderation..."

that's what i say to myself about ghee and/or butter, but remember, margarine is but one carbon molecule from being the same as the plastic container it's sold in...:huh:

i read the ingredients list... so, i continue to use very small amounts of ghee or clarified butter in-place of margarine or other commercial spreads.

Back
Top Bottom