Anyone Like to Cook More Than They Like to Eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I love the process of cooking. I love combining ingredients to see how they work out together. I love experimenting. Example, today my daughter wanted pancakes and I said okay, started cooking and then started experiments, and I ended up sneaking in vanilla and fresh nutmeg (looking back I should have added a little sugar but she devoured them). I totally enjoyed the process but didn't eat one pancake.

Over Superbowl weekend I made a bunch of stuff and ended up falling asleep and not putting it in the fridge so it went bad but I had still enjoyed the process.

Does anyone else enjoy the cooking more than the eating? I don't mean do you always cook and never eat but do you enjoy cooking and maybe eating far less than you would if someone cooked for you?

Any thoughts.

I do enjoy cooking and baking a lot more than I enjoy eating my food. My friends and neighbors are always happy to help enjoy what's been made.

Well, I am not sure if I like to cook, more than I like to eat; however when I am doing a lot of cooking, specially on a catering job, I don't tend to eat until it is all over. Then I am usually to tired to! Also, I have been tasting and testing the food through the whole thing and I love that.

I'm a canning nerd which allows me to do lots of cooking and I don't have to eat it right then and there. The best of both worlds in some respects. I also cook for one which is nye impossible so I'm always cooking more than one meal. The excess goes into FoodSaver bags in portion sizes and frozen for future meals.

Of course then I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and I lose a lot of enthusiasm over the "process". :LOL:

im kind of a 50/50 . But i find after cooking all day, i lose my appetite ( because of tasting so much). But, I dont like entertaining at all. I hate cooking for a group of people.

I agree about the tasting. I do that too. I just like to make things and see how they come out. I've figured out that I just need a bigger family to feed all this stuff to.

I wish I didn't like to eat as much as I like to cook. In fact, it's hard for me to get inspired when I'm not hungry. Hunger is a great motivator for me.

I like to cook and eat but I really enjoy making stuff for a big crowd of people. I enjoy creating the food, the process of trying new recipes and the feeling I get inside when someone eats something I've made and they enjoy it.

I like planning and preparing recipes. I like having a bunch of people come for dinner even if I have kill myself to make everything "perfect".

I love cooking and I always wind up cooking for a crowd. I guess that's in the blood. But yeah, sometimes I'll make things I don't even like just to be cooking, then drop it off somewhere else because it's something I would never eat. This past weekend I went to an Indian-themed party and was asked to bring dessert. I brought rice pudding, which I loathe, and a chocolate-almond cake, because I hate rice pudding:)

I enjoy cooking because I like to eat good foods. I think that must be true of most, if not all, people who enjoy cooking. Can you imagine cooking a delicious multi-course dinner from scratch then leaving it and going out for a Big Mac?

Certainly, there are times I cook a really good dinner and am not hungry, but that does not mean I dislike eating!

I do believe there are lot of folks who love good food who have no interest in cooking, but that's another discussion.

I enjoy cooking because I like to eat good foods. I think that must be true of most, if not all, people who enjoy cooking. Can you imagine cooking a delicious multi-course dinner from scratch then leaving it and going out for a Big Mac?

I didn't mean leaving it after cooking to go get something inferior. Generally by the time I'm done cooking I'm not hungry. It's odd how often that really does happen to me. I never eat anything else but I do like cooking a lot. I have a full freezer for sure.

I think it's a fairly common occurrence that you lose you appetite when you are doing a lot if cooking. There was a thread about that some time ago and a number of members agreed that was a common occurrence.

I do not believe that means you like to eat less than you like to cook. I think it means you are not hungry at the moment because all the smells associated with the prep have turned off your "hungry switch".

I started out cooking because I loved to eat. Then I gained some weight, my cholesterol spiked and I had to make adjustments. Now I really strive to cook healthy and practice portion control. So cooking for a crowd of people has become more and more important. If I were single, with no family, I think I would go out and find goups of people that I could cook for.

I think it's a fairly common occurrence that you lose you appetite when you are doing a lot if cooking. There was a thread about that some time ago and a number of members agreed that was a common occurrence.

I do not believe that means you like to eat less than you like to cook. I think it means you are not hungry at the moment because all the smells associated with the prep have turned off your "hungry switch".
Maybe that's just it. I start out wanting to eat what I'm cooking but if it's a long process by the time I finish, I'm no longer hungry enough to eat more than a couple bites.

i must say i enjoy cooking/creating dishes a little more than i enjoy eating them, but not by much, eating something you have created also has a sense of satisfaction, especially if its something nice and healthy

I like cooking and eating but it's less pronounced in the dessert areas. I just don't care for sweets that much. I'll make a cheesecake and never even try it, same with cakes and cookies. I only like a little bit of sweets. I just like how they make people smile. ~Bliss

yeah, i get this,too. i love cooking and i love growing things but i love the processes of each more. not to say i don't like cooking with things i grow and then eating them...i do like to eat...but, yes, the process is its own reward.

I must be weird. I start cooking and I get so hungry while cooking! But I can only cook what I (now we) can eat because I have no freezer here. I "adjust" recipes so that to feed only one or three I don't waste anything.

I definitely don't like cooking better than eating, but I do like the process of baking better than eating it, so I can see what you mean. I love creating baked goods, but I usually just eat a wee bit of the results, letting my family devour the rest. I think I am addicted to the process and seeing others enjoy the results.

Back
Top Bottom