"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Anyone Like to Cook More Than They Like to Eat?

I love the process of cooking. I love combining ingredients to see how they work out together. I love experimenting. Example, today my daughter wanted pancakes and I said okay, started cooking and then started experiments, and I ended up sneaking in vanilla and fresh nutmeg (looking back I should have added a little sugar but she devoured them). I totally enjoyed the process but didn't eat one pancake.

Over Superbowl weekend I made a bunch of stuff and ended up falling asleep and not putting it in the fridge so it went bad but I had still enjoyed the process.

Does anyone else enjoy the cooking more than the eating? I don't mean do you always cook and never eat but do you enjoy cooking and maybe eating far less than you would if someone cooked for you?

Any thoughts.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I do enjoy cooking and baking a lot more than I enjoy eating my food. My friends and neighbors are always happy to help enjoy what's been made.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Well, I am not sure if I like to cook, more than I like to eat; however when I am doing a lot of cooking, specially on a catering job, I don't tend to eat until it is all over. Then I am usually to tired to! Also, I have been tasting and testing the food through the whole thing and I love that.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm a canning nerd which allows me to do lots of cooking and I don't have to eat it right then and there. The best of both worlds in some respects. I also cook for one which is nye impossible so I'm always cooking more than one meal. The excess goes into FoodSaver bags in portion sizes and frozen for future meals.

Of course then I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and I lose a lot of enthusiasm over the "process".
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Head Chef

im kind of a 50/50 . But i find after cooking all day, i lose my appetite ( because of tasting so much). But, I dont like entertaining at all. I hate cooking for a group of people.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I agree about the tasting. I do that too. I just like to make things and see how they come out. I've figured out that I just need a bigger family to feed all this stuff to.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I wish I didn't like to eat as much as I like to cook. In fact, it's hard for me to get inspired when I'm not hungry. Hunger is a great motivator for me.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Head Chef

I like to cook and eat but I really enjoy making stuff for a big crowd of people. I enjoy creating the food, the process of trying new recipes and the feeling I get inside when someone eats something I've made and they enjoy it.

I like planning and preparing recipes. I like having a bunch of people come for dinner even if I have kill myself to make everything "perfect".
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Cook

I love cooking and I always wind up cooking for a crowd. I guess that's in the blood. But yeah, sometimes I'll make things I don't even like just to be cooking, then drop it off somewhere else because it's something I would never eat. This past weekend I went to an Indian-themed party and was asked to bring dessert. I brought rice pudding, which I loathe, and a chocolate-almond cake, because I hate rice pudding:)
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I enjoy cooking because I like to eat good foods. I think that must be true of most, if not all, people who enjoy cooking. Can you imagine cooking a delicious multi-course dinner from scratch then leaving it and going out for a Big Mac?

Certainly, there are times I cook a really good dinner and am not hungry, but that does not mean I dislike eating!

I do believe there are lot of folks who love good food who have no interest in cooking, but that's another discussion.