"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 03-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #31
Master Chef
My recipe turned out as good as I remembered it. I might have made it a bit too spicy though. Less chile peppers next time. The best thing is that I have enough for leftovers for lunch on Monday. Maybe the chilies will mellow some with time.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #32
Master Chef
Once upon a time, many years ago, I was dating three men. Two were steak-and-potatoes kinda guys. Both were very tall (often a deciding factor when you're 5'9" tall and wear heels) and strong. One was shorter than I, and had more brains than brawn. HOWEVER, not being particularly young and impressionable, I woke up one morning to realize that I enjoyed going to the restaurants the third man took me to (introducing me to Thai, Korean, Spanish (flamenco dancers and all)), and we enjoyed cooking for each other (face it, there is only so much fun involved in steak and burgers). So when he asked me to go to Hawaii with him, I replied that I'd go, but wouldn't make another move without a wedding ring (he was military). I think we all know there isn't such a thing as happily ever after, but we come close to it. 23 years and thousands of miles later, the wedding rings don't fit our chubby fingers. But Thai food is on the menu whenever I can get my act together enough for it

The point is: You can do a lot worse than making a life decision based on food! After all, you do it several times every day for the rest of your life. That's more than you can say for a lot of the other things (appearances, that three letter word that will get bleeped if I mention it, expectations of family, etc) that people base marriages on.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
Thanks for sharing that story, Roy.
You have a point there. I love my husband, and that's why we married (our reason, so to say) but I get so frustrated he hates half of the food I like. He's vegetarian, I can live with that easily, but he's too picky, and if I leave him to it, he eats pizza and fries every day. But, being young and somewhat impressionable, I do get him to try more and more, and maybe even like it! I hope someday I can cook up a storm without omitting half of the vegetables, spices and herbs.
Until then, I have my moments alone with lentils and cilantro...
Suus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #34
Master Chef
I love these rice papers. A good hands-on party (if you're into that kind of thing) is to take a couple of pyrex pie plates and fill half way with water. Put one at each end of the table.

In between have shredded lettuce, cabbage, carrots. Thinly sliced onions (preferably green scallions). Tons of herbs: Cilantro, parsley, mint as a minimum. Because lemongrass isn't always easy to get here you can zest some lemon and lime. Steam some shrimp, and very lightly sautee some beef. Make a dressing of rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and if your tastes go that way, hot peppers (if not, slice the hot peppers into a separate bowl). The sauce really should have some fish sauce in it, but personally I find when I buy a bottle it is enough for an army, so I cheat and use worchestershire (has fish sauce in it) or anchovy paste in a tube.

Everyone soaks their own rice paper, and rolls their own "summer rolls". This is a lot of fun. They are also very pretty, because the rice paper becomes transluscent when wet.

This is really Vietnamese rather than Thai in my experience. I've done it in restaurants and at home and it is great fun.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #35
Master Chef

Have you tried growing lemongrass? I did it last summer and till have a freezer full.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #36
Master Chef
Yes, but not here. It was easy to grow in Hawaii and in Florida, but I haven't a source for a plant here, and assume it would have to be taken in in the winters (?) here. So I've just used various replacements with pretty good success.