Anyone up for Thai, next weekend??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
corazon had mentioned that Thai would be fun. I think that I can find the stuff I need for it this time:mrgreen: Anyone else interested?

BTW, does anyone have any recipes that don't include curry? DH has ulcers and other stomach ailments that can't take the spice of it.

Last edited:
I just had Thai food for the first time last night.
since I have trouble ( just don't like really) hot spicy food they ordered
only 1 on the spice chart. It was HOT! lol... I'm such a wimp.

I really liked one dish though. Can't remember what it was called though.
I'll have to find out and then ask you all how to make it. It wasn't hot and it didn't have curry... so your hubby might like it too.

Thai Stir Fried Wide Rice Noodles, "Pad Si-iew"

This is an ImportFood.com online Thai recipe.

Marinade

3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3 tablespoons sweet dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped shallots (or small red or purple onions)
1 tablespoon thinly sliced Thai chile peppers (optional)

Marinade 8 ounces of thinly-sliced beef in the marinade for about an hour.

Ingredients

marinaded beef (above)
8 ounces fresh wide rice noodles, if available, or you may use our wide rice noodles
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon palm sugar
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons sweet dark soy sauce
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)

Cook the noodles until tender, in warm water, then put in cold water to halt the cooking process. Heat a wok and a little oil to stir fry the marinaded beef until it just begins to cook (this will happen quickly). Add the noodles and the remaining ingredients, and stir until blended and heated through. Taste the sauce for balance of flavors (it should be just on the sweet side with a salty tang).

Serve with rice and the usual Thai table condiments as well as ground Thai chili powder and sugar.

The Slaw looks really good Texasgirl and I have everything for the rice.

Here's what I had last night. Ours was made with chicken instead of shrimp.

hai-style Fried Noodles, "Pad Thai"

This is an ImportFood.com online Thai recipe.

This recipe requires 1 cup of dry roasted, unsalted peanuts. For best preparation, coarsely break them up in a stone mortar and pestle.

Ingredients

8 ounces Chantaboon rice noodles. These should be soaked at room temperature for an hour or more depending on how soft you prefer the noodles. It may take some experimentation to determine your preference, start with warm water.
5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
2 tablespoons chopped shallots (or small red or purple onions)
1/4 cup dried or 1/2 fresh cooked shrimp
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup regular sugar (or crushed palm sugar but it doesn't make much difference).
2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate mixed with 5 teaspoons water (this makes tamarind juice)
1 medium egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely broken up.
1 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup tofu that has been diced (1/2" cubes), marinated in dark sweet soy. "Firm" tofu works best.

Method

Heat a little cooking oil in a wok and add the garlic and shallots, and briefly stir fry until they just shows signs of changing color. At this point one option is to add chicken meat and cook a bit longer, if you prefer chicken pad Thai. Add the remaining ingredients except the egg and the bean sprouts, and stir fry until the noodles soften (about 5 minutes). As you stir the noodles, periodically throw in 1-2 tablespoons of water, and after 2-3 minutes add 1 tablespoon of rinsed, salted radish (optional). Continuing to stir with one hand, slowly "drizzle" in the beaten egg to form a fine ribbon of cooked egg (if you don't feel confident with this make an egg crepe separately, and then roll it up and slice it into quarter inch wide pieces, which you add to the mix at this point). At this point, a very tasty but optional addition is a small handful of dried shrimps. Add the bean sprouts and cook for no more than another 30 seconds. Remove from the pan to a serving platter.

Garnish

Mix a tablespoon of lime juice with a tablespoon of tamarind juice and a tablespoon of fish sauce, and use this to marinade half a cup of uncooked bean sprouts, half a cup of chopped chives, and half a cup of very coarsely ground roasted peanuts. Sprinkle this mixture on the cooked pad Thai. Cut several limes into segments and also slice up some cucumber into rounds then halve the rounds. Put the lime segments and cuke segments around the serving platter.

Pad thai is served as above. You may add Thai chili powder, sugar and crushed peanuts at the table.:)

Looking for a good recipe for chicken satay with peanut sauce. Don't know what else I'll make. I'd like to make some kind of spring rolls, maybe with rice paper rather than deep frying, anyone know what those are rolls are called? I'd like to fill them with noodles and other stuff. Think we'll either be having cashew chicken or pepper steak. Looks like I'll be making the thai feast on friday. We are having company on Saturday, I don't think they'd care much for thai.

Last edited:
If I can get to the store to buy the ingredients I will make one of my favorite recipes: Thai-Beef Spicy Beef Jantaboon by Nina Simonds. This recipe is from her book Asian Noodles. It is a great combination of beef, noodles, cilantro, peanuts, and chile peppers. I have not made this recipe for ages!!

corazon90 said:
Looking for a good recipe for chicken satay with peanut sauce. Don't know what else I'll make. I'd like to make some kind of spring rolls, maybe with rice paper rather than deep frying, anyone know what those are rolls are called? I'd like to fill them with noodles and other stuff. Think we'll either be having cashew chicken or pepper steak. Looks like I'll be making the thai feast on friday. We are having company on Saturday, I don't think they'd care much for thai.

I have only found fried recipes for spring rolls. If you don't want to have an appetizer that is fried, why not make lettuce wraps? Here is a recipe that a friend gave me.

Thai Minced Chicken in Lettuce Leaves

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro or basil
1 tsp ground pepper
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp sugar
½ - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 stalks lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
¼ cup finely diced red onion

In food processor or using large chef’s knife, finely chop chicken. In small skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté chicken for 5-8 minutes, or until opaque throughout. In medium bowl, combine cooked chicken and all remaining filling ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight. Taste and adjust seasoning with lime juice, fish sauce, and/or cayenne.

30 small butter or red oak lettuce leaves, endive leaves, or tartlet shells
Fresh mint sprigs for garnish (optional)

Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon filling onto each lettuce or endive leaf or tartlet shell. Garnish with a mint sprig and serve. Makes 30 appetizers.

corazon90 said:

Spring Roll wrappers. Made from rice flour. We eat them all the time. You can find them in any asian market and at some supermarkets.

Soak them in hot water, pat dry a bit, then fill and roll.

You can find sweet chili dipping sauce at any asian market, too.

I usually buy the brand with the girls on it, but I have also used this one.

B0000CNU2X.01-A3LS7JPK8UUPY4.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I made Thai food twice last week, so probably will make something else.

This is a very good recipe for Green Curry (Tyler Florence)

Last edited:
Jeez, corazon, your hubby sounds like mine!! Some men are so picky!!
I'm surprised that mine is willing to do Thai, but, he said okay as long as there is no curry. He won't be eating the fritters, I guess :eek:)

Jeez, corazon, your hubby sounds like mine!! Some men are so picky!!
They like those tamales though, don't they?:LOL: When I first met my husband, I thought he would eat anything in front of him. Now I think he's more picky than I am. He's funny, he likes eggs but only if there is so much other stuff in there that you can't taste the eggs. He is like that with most things he eats. I can't just make plain chicken, it has to be stuffed usually.:blink: :doh:

You guys are killing me. I'm drooling all over my keyboard. My local (Dubuque) Asian grocer keeps telling hubby how lucky he is. But I don't know enough people locally to make it worth the work sometimes. I made a "Thai style" soup last week, and hubby was in heaven (it was made with the last of the green curry paste I had on hand, coconut milk, chicken stock, and shrimp. To me it wasn't quite right because my herb garden is dead, but it came out pretty good anyway). I'm lucky enough that there is a southeast asian restaurant a half hour from here, but it isn't convenient. So I make do myself.

You need to join us this weekend on Thai day. We cook different ethnic dishes each weekend and post what we make and pictures, if you have a camera.

I'm drooling here, myself. Thai food is one of my favorites.

I've had a cooking pamphlet for years from A Taste of Thai, and was able to find their site. The recipes are less complicated than most, IMO. The supermarket (in my neck of the woods) usually carries their products as well. If I recall, the coconut milk, is very good. Will try to find the recipe I made with chicken and coconut milk.

pds, I don't like hot & spicy, so I order the dishes w/o the *. Pad Thai Noodle is a must and Mee Grob (sp) is delish. Have to try the Thai Iced Coffee. It tastes like dessert. YUM. Wish I had the energy to cook all the dishes at home. These are easier though. Hope you see something you like.:)

http://www.atasteofthai.com/recipes.cfm

Ho hum. Looks like I may have to skip the thai, too bad since I was so excited about it.:( I was going to go shopping today for the thai feast, but had to take my sick Callum to the doc. Tomorrow I will let him rest by staying home. dh wants to go on a date before he goes back to work on Sunday. So, Saturday will be our date night, if Callum is well enough. I'm sad to miss out on the thai but at the same time happy to go out with my husband. I miss him. Have fun cookin' thai! Maybe I'll still do it next Friday or something. Take some photos this time around, I want to hear all about your meals! Maybe I should make my husband take me out for thai for our date.:LOL:

So, am I the only one doing this today??
Here is what I'm making.
The Pad Thai that pds listed,
Thai Chicken
Thai coconut rice

I'm going to lunch and a movie today. We're going to On the border. I have a feeling that it might be a bad mistake mixing the Mexican dishes and Thai dishes, but, I think it'll be worth the sickness tomorrow!! LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom