"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Sometimes......but that is not food...in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
But the people on the show that had to taste the Squid Ink Ice Cream liked it.
yeah i was thinking that too. but those guys are pros and im barely a beginner. and theres no recipe so im going to use a vanilla recipe and add the ink in.

lugaru: that is weird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Hi there blah, I've never had or made squid ink ice cream But I have eaten squid ink pasta with sea food...I enjoyed it but my DH just looked like this
kadesma
good luck hope it's good!
if squid ink pasta is good, then squid ink ice cream must be good. at least i hope...

Old 04-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

i hate iron chef america. such a bad attempt to remake iron chef. also bobby flay is an iron chef????? UGH!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
Master Chef

lol, bobby flay isn't an iron chef, he's a word i can't type or else i'll be banned. hate him, nauseating little chili head.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
lol, bobby flay isn't an iron chef, he's a word i can't type or else i'll be banned. hate him, nauseating little chili head.
Bobby flay is... I forget what the term in english for a badguy wrestler is but in spanish he would be a Rudo. Some one who's job it is to win often enough to have an ego and basically talk trash all the time but still be good enough to not get kicked off the show.

In other words he's the villain, some one we boo when he comes on screen and some one to celebrate when he loses. Kobe (iron chef italian) was kinda like that. In his interviews he's a good, humble guy but on Iron chef he was constantly whipping out the trash talk and acting like some pompous master, which I think made for good television.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Bobby flay is... I forget what the term in english for a badguy wrestler is but in spanish he would be a Rudo. Some one who's job it is to win often enough to have an ego and basically talk trash all the time but still be good enough to not get kicked off the show.

In other words he's the villain, some one we boo when he comes on screen and some one to celebrate when he loses. Kobe (iron chef italian) was kinda like that. In his interviews he's a good, humble guy but on Iron chef he was constantly whipping out the trash talk and acting like some pompous master, which I think made for good television.
Actually, Morimoto was the one who took on the role of the "bad guy" because he was the Chef whom the Japanese Culinary world had painted a bullseye on his back. They felt that he was turning his back on traditional Japanese cooking (unlike Michiba who was the epitome of it) because of his experience at Nobu's in New York City, and because of his natural creativity. Morimoto was the one that Japanese Culinary groups would send their best Chefs to challenge, because they felt that he was not worthy of the Iron Chef title, and they wanted their chef to take him down. Michiba, when he was a guest announcer, would sometimes have negative things to say about Morimoto's techniques, saying that he was being too bold or brash. In the end though, Morimoto became one of the most popular Iron Chefs and always made for an exciting battle because of the drama that was usually associated with one of the challenges.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Totally true, I just always found Kobe to be more of a trash talker. For him Italian was by principle superior to everything and he didint mind saying so... With Morimoto I had a hard time watching his battles due to the comentary of his badguy status... I kept expecting them to say stuff like "gee... what's he making, hamburgers?!". I guess I identified with him as the underdog which is naive given that he operates on a Michiba level of skill and creativity. That's why I was so glad to see him win the sushi battle against an oldschool edo sushi expert. That episode was morimoto whipping out the old, the new, and then pushing for the next level of sushi preparation.

It's great that he ended up on the american show (which I've only seen a handfull of eps of) since he really rises to the challenge. Like watching the guy make his own tofu from scratch in the tofu battle? Very awesome.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Kandagawa and his Ohta faction sure did want to beat the Iron Chefs.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #19
Head Chef

If Iron Chef is on I just keep on flipping the channel changer. /shrug Never watched more than two minutes of the original and can't say I've even put that much time into the American version. Just not my cup'o'tea.

Z
Old 04-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

****** the squid ink i had spoiled just when i got all the ingredients. and my mom wont buy me more squid and theres no way im buying my own since i cant pick out good seafood. so i have to wait till shes up to it. shes discouraging me from doing it too "since the squid arent fresh" tho i know her real reason is that if its not good no ones going to eat it and its a waste (like most of my other food experiments). the ingredients i just got will expire in may :/ its a shame.