April 4th Saturday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
May be too late but what did you eat for dinner tonight?

We had The Chief's pancakes and bacon.

Just got back from my daughter's - we had our Easter dinner this afternoon. Ham with several sides, and peach pie for dessert. I'm stuffed. :yum:

Not too late here. Cube steaks are just about thawed for chicken fried steak and cream gravy. Thanks to this forum, DH is hooked on making spaetzle and he says he wants that under the gravy instead of the usual home fries. Corn and a green salad on the side.

I put together a corn chowder in the crock pot consisting of a mix of 2 packs of 2 year expired Idahoan brand mashed potato flakes that I found in the cupboard, some frozen precooked bacon, frozen corn, chicken broth, thyme and Mexican oregano, elderly chopped celery, frozen chopped green pepper, some garlic powder and dried onion flakes. I topped it off with some frozen expired low fat shredded cheddar cheese.

DH promptly pronounced it "swill", which insults me as that's my word, and went upstairs to scream at the Final 4 basketball tournament.

I thought it was pretty good. We have a lot of it, so I'll freeze some and pull it out a few months from now, and DH will love it.

Last edited:
We finally ordered Chinese. It was a much better call than expected. The lady taking the order spoke English as though it's her first language. We had fried dumplings, sesame beef, crispy chicken with vegetables, and salt and pepper pork. It was really quite good.

Andy, we hadn't had dinner yet by the time you had started this because we were still in church for Holy Saturday services. :wacko: I have no idea where the very elderly priest got his energy, but he was like the Energizer Bunny. How appropriate for Easter. :LOL:

taxy, great minds thinking alike again! We had Chinese too. Decided after church that we were hungry, headed to that new place we had take-out from a while back, and each ordered our own combination plate. :yum: Each came with pork fried rice and an egg roll. Himself had General Tso's Chicken and I had stir-fry chicken and veggies. We each brought enough home for another meal. Cheap date. ;) BTW, what is "salt and pepper pork"? I've never seen that on a menu either here or back home in OH.

Salt and pepper pork is breaded, deep fried pork and a bit of green peppers and onions.

There not exactly breaded, but they do have crispy coating.

Well, we were going to try grilled octopus with a sweet onion salad and lemon vinaigrette but the octopus smelled iffy after we thawed and opened the package to start it cooking so decided to have dinner out.

We did have a lovely breakfast of eggs benedict over baked, smashed flat, fried small red potatoes since we didn't have any English muffins so had to improvise. Pretty good subbie.

Last edited:
Carne Asada Tacos

Carne Asada Tacos by powerplantop, on Flickr

James....nice pic, those are my kind of tacos! :yum: IMO there's nothing better than a carne asada taco, simply made, with just cilantro and onions. Maybe a little avocado, and definitely fresh lime juice. And there has to be double corn tortillas. :) You've just inspired me to get my flap steak out of the freezer and make some.

We have a tiny little 5 table mom and pop Mexican restaurant here in my small town, I'll go for a couple of their tacos any day rather than the Americanized taco bell version.

Last edited:
James....nice pic, those are my kind of tacos! :yum: IMO there's nothing better than a carne asada taco, simply made, with just cilantro and onions. Maybe a little avocado, and definitely fresh lime juice. And there has to be double corn tortillas. :) You've just inspired me to get my flap steak out of the freezer and make some.

We have a tiny little 5 table mom and pop Mexican restaurant here in my small town, I'll go for a couple of their tacos any day rather than the Americanized taco bell version.

Thank you!

I have posted my recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/carne-asada-tacos-recipe-92697.html#post1416629

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom