Are we eating tonight? Tuesday Oct. 21 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
It looks like nachos tonight; store bought chips, shredded cheese, just made some chili and am about to make some fresh salsa.

What's happening at your place?

What a coincidence, Beth...pretty much the same thing here. :)

I made some pico de gallo a little bit ago and will be having that along with some doctored up refried black beans, and guacamole. Fixin' to cut up and fry some corn tortillas here in a bit. :yum:

I've got a meatloaf in the oven and will make some macaroni and cheese to go with it. Not sure about a veggie yet.

I also have the Mexican theme tonight.

Last night we went out to dinner and had their specialty of the house
served in a boiling hot Molcajete...
Carne Asada, Marinated Chicken, Shrimp, Nopales (Cactus), Chorizo, Scallions, Jalapeños, Mexican Cheese & Tomatillo Sauce Served with Homemade Corn Tortillas, & Beans & Rice on the side Serves 2 to 3 People.
Wouldn't you know, I forgot my camera but it was a sight to behold, and I've never seen anything like it! It actually would have served four people easily and it was outrageously delicious.
Obviously we bought the leftovers home. The sauce was soooo good. Tonight I'll plop some fried eggs on top for Huevos Ranchero Suprema.

Today we're having a "clean out the fridge" meal with a buffet of leftovers that have accumulated over the last few days. We'll wash it down with the usual iced tea and have some more of that yummy apple pie for dessert.

Another United Way fundraiser. Meatloaf, and hashbrown casserole, with pumpkin bars.

Late lunch followed by a board of trustees meeting tonight. Got home about a half hour ago and had some leftover NY strip sliced thin on a bulkie roll with mayonnaise and pickled jalapeños.

I was cleaning my freezer too, and came upon this recipe:

Insane Oven Beef Ribs Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I can't say for sure how faithful I was to their recipe nor the accuracy of my following the directions. I think I may have simmered my short ribs too long, but I followed the cooking time and temperature correctly, and the short ribs came out pretty chewy/gristly although they may have been that way before cooking.

It was a "manager's special" that cost me all of $3 for a big serving of short ribs. I served my short ribs with a baked thick potato chips recipe I'm currently designing. It starts out slicing a raw potato into thin slices and baking them. I'll file a report when I'm satisfied with my recipe.

I had a taco salad (with refried beans) while TB had turkey tacos and all the fixings.

For my lighter evening meal I am having a single slice tuna melt and some tomatoes from our garden.

We drove home from DC today and got home about 6 pm. We unloaded the car, poured some wine and watched the news, then heated up leftover pork chops and pad Thai. I garnished the pad Thai with Thai sweet chili sauce and lime juice. Nice easy meal after a long day.

002.JPG

Busy day, threw together Pork loin roast (uber easy)
"Our Brussel sprouts" (I know, I know no one else likes them here at DC)
Baby carrots with a butter and honey glaze

oh, forgot the homemade chunky Applesauce too

..."Our Brussel sprouts" (I know, I know no one else likes them here at DC)...
Not "no one" K-girl! :LOL: There are a few fans around here. I really love them with bacon, mushrooms, tarragon and garlic powder. Even better the second day...for breakfast. :whistling

Today was "haircut day", so we had leftovers. I guess Himself didn't have much appetite after seeing how much was gone, so the last of the bbq pulled chicken and leftover veggies was plenty.

one more who loves brussel sprouts. they are just cabbages for the wee folk.

and they look cool to grow. i had no idea how to grow them until my fil taught me.

does anyone know if you can eat the stem (after peeling)?

dw shocked me for a second day with dinner. yesterday was chicken parm; tonight was roast beast from a butcher, mashed spuds, green coleslaw, and fresh oat bread and butter.

i don't know what to say. after all of my compliments to her, i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Last edited:
Leftover chili and we like brussel sprouts too. Craig cooks them with onions, bacon, glazes with balsamic and I don't remember what else but they sure are good.

I love Brussel's sprouts! :)

I get fresh ones and cut off a bit of the "stump" and then peel a few leaves from the outside, then chop them in half. Then I add a small amount of water in a microwave safe dish (often a measuring cup), cover with plastic wrap and nuke about 3-4 minutes.

Then I drain, liberally butter them, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mmmmm!!!!! :)

Note that I have determined that 4 oz. pre-cooked weight is an optimum serving size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom