"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Just realized your little man is surrounded by parakeets!!!! (I was too busy admiring that handsome boy!)
And I didn't notice the birds until I read Fisher's Mom's post! Bucky, he's gotten so BIG and grown up!!!!!!! He's as adorable as ever! Thanks for sharing a new picture with us!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I strictly adhere to a set budget for shopping and have been more and more challenged to make my dollars go as far as they used to.

Over the last several years I've noticed the price of a 24-ounce loaf of no-name sliced bread go from 25 cents, to 31 cents, 39 cents, 45 cents, 49 cents, 54 cents and, now 59 cents. This within less than 10 years.

Eggs have gone off the scale. Meats, poultry and fish have likewise climbed in price. And, as someone already mentioned, packaging has changed such that we don't "feel" the pinch of a price increase for many of the products on our market shelves.

Instead of purchasing a 1-pound package of bacon, it's 12 ounces. Sugar has gone from the traditional 5-pound bag to a new 4-pound one. It's unusual to find 16-ounce cans of fruits and vegetables. In their place are cans that are 14- or 15-ounces. No longer do we buy a pound of coffee. Now it's 13-ounces.

One way I try to stretch our dollars is to use coupons, when I actually use a product, buy on sale and buy in bulk when on sale. I rarely buy packaged goods. Unnecessary, because I cook almost wholly from scratch. If an item is on sale, shampoo for example, and the bottle has an extra % of shampoo in the bottle, I search the shelves for only those bottles at the sale price.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Executive Chef

" Fresh Boneless chicken breast 1.69 "

I think I'm getting a bargain if I can get them for $3.99 a lb!! Eight years ago, I could feed the 3 of us for $75.00 a week. Now, I'm lucky if I can do it for $100.00 to $125.00. ( that includes lunches for 3 every day). I buy in bulk, I cook from scrastch wherever possible, I buy whole chickens etc and cut them, I make ahead and freeze etc. Not much more I can do. I refuse to cut down on the fresh veggies , fruit etc, so, I pay for it.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have seen milk prices go up to 2.21 for a half gallon.

Orange Juice up as well.

Have not seen it up much on some of the basic items I buy each week.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #15
Head Chef

Are Your Grocery Prices Increasing? Asks P A Baker

Oh my yes, everything seems to be on the rise but groceries are a leading contender. Corn is being diverted to this fuel nonsense which will drive up the price of beef, well it is already. The Chinese are buying more food with our dollars which we are desperate to send them for junk, etc. Yes it finally hit me when you asked the question. I'm going to go back through this thread carefully for all the good ideas.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Katie you mention eggs. While they have gone from 79 cents to a dollar here, that is still sooo sooo sooo cheap from what I got them for in California. Eggs and milk are the only thing cheaper here. Meat never seems to really go on sale and I miss chicken sales. I've gone to buying the "fresh frozen" because I can get that on sale but I can't get fresh chicken on sale. I guess there was just more competition for your grocery dollar in California than there is here.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Katie you mention eggs. While they have gone from 79 cents to a dollar here, that is still sooo sooo sooo cheap from what I got them for in California. Eggs and milk are the only thing cheaper here. Meat never seems to really go on sale and I miss chicken sales. I've gone to buying the "fresh frozen" because I can get that on sale but I can't get fresh chicken on sale. I guess there was just more competition for your grocery dollar in California than there is here.
At this point, Callisto, the markets here are charging $1.49 for dozen "large" eggs. Makes me crazy. Not that Buck and I use a lot of eggs, but it seems totally out of line percentage-wise. Just doesn't compute in my book.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
At this point, Callisto, the markets here are charging $1.49 for dozen "large" eggs. Makes me crazy. Not that Buck and I use a lot of eggs, but it seems totally out of line percentage-wise. Just doesn't compute in my book.
They were $3 a dozen in my area of California before I left. I never understood people saying how they lived off of eggs and white bread when eggs were so expensive. I would stock up when they went on sale and learned to ignore "use by" dates. I got lucky to never get sick from 3 month old eggs. It was like a party when the 99 cent store got half dozen packs.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I noticed the same thing when I moved to South Carolina from California. I was shocked at how much produce is here, not to mention many of the grocery check-out people here don't know what half the vegetables and fruits are. I was buying avocados once and one girl (trying to figure out the price) asked if it was asparagus!. Meat is high here. James was even more shocked about the meat prices than I was, since they were evidently even lower in Iowa. However, we pay much less for gas than in California (at least the area I was from), so things even out a little in other ways. But, to the original question, yes our groceries have gone up quite a bit lately.

Barbara
P.S. Callisto--where in California did you live? I am from Vista (in San Diego County) and originally from San Diego. In South Carolina 11 years as of next week.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Hey Barbara, I know Vista. I was in Anaheim/Cypress area (dad and SIL worked at Disneyland and Tiger Woods family shopped at the same butcher I did), I practically lived at Sea World on the weekends when I was there. I've been here four years and gas was okay when I got here but now OUCH. Meat prices do still freak me out. I miss VONS. I would be happy to have a Safeway here.

I agree about the produce here. I laugh when I see California strawberries at $5 a pint. I used to get them from the roadside vendor for $2 and they were fresh. But on the plus side, my rent is half of what it was in California ~ I keep telling myself that and I remain happy.