"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #41
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I remember restaurants not offering water many years ago in Colorado because of a shortage.Droughts happen and you are right people waste alot of water.Like washing just a couple of pieces of clothes in a big washing machine I try to make sure I have a full load when I wash.Toilets also use alot of water and the list goes on.I think restaurants should not offer water anyway most of it never gets drank.Then to add to that washing all those water glasses that no one drank uses even more in the big dishwashers in restaurants.Here at the ranch they have a sign in the rooms that if you dont want your towels washed everyday leave them on the rack if you want them washed throw them on the floor.
I ended up having to let my garden (my first since moving here!) die because I was scared of drying up the well. A lot of the grass in our yard crunches when I walk across the yard. I know that in Charlotte (about 35 miles northwest of us) they can't water their yards anymore, and they are asking people to limit showers to 4 minutes. They said on the weather that this is the worst drought in many years and that the only way it will get over quickly is if we have a tropical storm. Hurricane season ends next month, so it doesn't look likely. We did have a few sprinkles last night and they are expecting a little more rain this week. I just don't want our well to go dry. Our road has a little slope--not enough to be called a hill, but a noticeable slope, and the guy at the bottom of the slope waters like there is no tomorrow. He mows his yard at least 3 times a week, fertilizes constantly to keep it growing, and waters for a long time every evening. Granted he always has the nicest looking yard and vegetable garden, but he is sucking the earth dry! Here is the funny thing--Even before he retired a couple years ago he kept up the same routine when he came home from work. Do you know what he did for a living? He mowed grass for the state! That man does love mowing!

Barbara

Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Tidings From The South!

A Few prices I saw today....

Apples $1.39 lb
Bells & Cukes .79 Ea.
Ground chuck...$2.59 lb.
Whole birds....79 lb.
Lg. Eggs $1.45 Dz.
Sugar 5 lb....$2.25
Tropicana OJ 5.95 Gal.
2% Milk $4.28 Gal.
White Lily AP Flour 5 lb.....$1.45
8 oz. 'shrooms $1.65
Center Cut chops $3.69 lb.
Unleaded Gas....$2.57 Gal.
Wild Turkey 1 Liter.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #43
Executive Chef

So Barbara, live next to Hank Hill do you? Sorry, that's who your description reminded me of.

We had rain in Concord, but work has been dry, just over cast. We really need the rain so badly. My boss can't water at all (lives in Charlotte) but Union County is even worse than Mecklenburg because Meck has Lake Norman and the Catabwa river basin.

I have a feeling there's a chance, because of trends, we won't get a significant hurricane this year and if we do it might very well happen in December after "official" hurricane season ends.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #44
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
So Barbara, live next to Hank Hill do you? Sorry, that's who your description reminded me of.
LOL We call him Forrest Gump because he rides a Snapper mower like Forrest did. I can see the Hank Hill similarity too though!

Barbara
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #45
Master Chef

I've definitely noticed my grocery bill steadily increasing the past several months, to the point where the totals are about $20 higher per week than they were.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I need to take a drive up to my dad's and stop in VA on the way home for groceries. Grapes were $2.99 a pound yesterday. Apples $5 a bag. You are getting much better prices up there than I am here.
Just FYI, the sale sheet I quoted was from Farm Fresh.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Groceries

So ironic, I start talking about shortage of water and in the checkout line before me, this couple buying bottled water. Curious, I ask if this was weekly thing. They said yes, because they are listening to the news and they know before food everybody needs water. I had nothing to contradict her remarks. No groceries, just water. You think they are trying to tell me something? Just exactly how long can you keep water in the plastic bottles like that?

I went to a particular family meat market and the prices in there are still not as high as in the grocery store. They always are busy but I couldn't figure the prices being lower than the regular store.

What can you do if they do go higher? Nothing. Just have to weigh your needs.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #48
Master Chef

Bottled water actually does last a long time, but not indefinitely. They all have expiration dates on them, which I think probably have more to do with the cap/seal then impurities in the water.

The bottled water I purchased a couple of weeks ago has expiration dates on the caps of Sept. 7, 2009 - not that it'll be around here that long.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Breezy

Breezy you aren't thinking of water shortage? Good for you. I really feel that is what only makes things worse is when people start buying things in larger quantities than they actually need. For instance, what made me wake up was when our power went out and I lost all the sale stuff I had packed away in our freezer. Did that hurt to have to throw all the good stuff in the garbage. Insurance helped but not in the thought of getting it on sale. That was real lesson for me. I buy what I need and if I need more I just have to pay the price. This power outage happened twice. Once was enough. Both were more than 6 days and couldn't keep it cold enough.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Funny but the first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned the couple was "ah, circumventing the law." In areas where watering is banned, technically it's illegal (in some areas) to even buy water to water your plants. Maybe they just didn't want to admit that's what they were doing. Where my dad lives in PA, you aren't allowed to get river water to water your plants and if your plants even looked watered whether it be by bottled or bath, you receive a fine. People here around Lake Norman are losing dock privileges if they are caught using lake water to water their lawns. Depending on how much water, makes me wonder if they weren't trying to get around the rules. I tried at the beginning of the summer to bring my dad water from West Virginia into Pennsylvania and he wouldn't let me. He was really paranoid about the fines. They've already bought barrels and put them in their garage so when it snows they can start saving the snow just in case next summer is just as bad. Isn't that just sad.