"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #71
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Good for you, keltin. I love our area Kroger stores...we have 3 within close proximity. That's a real plus, because if one store has a mediocre meat or produce selection, I have a pretty good chance of finding what I want at another location

One of the Kroger stores is in a well-heeled neighborhood, so I can get some really nice ingredients there. Not the least of which are cheeses. You might want to check for cheese, too.

My bi-weekly shopping trips always includes at least one of the Kroger stores and I make it a point to look for the manager's specials in the meat department. They also have good deals on fresh fish, which is something that is difficult to get here.
I owe it to you and Uncle Bob. I had written Kroger off a few years ago (a few years back in this area, they tried to compete with Brunoís and got full of themselves!), but yourís and UBís posts made me think I should try again. So glad I did! Iím really impressed with Kroger quality, and if you hit a good deal, WOW, the savings are incredible.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #72
Executive Chef

One good trick is to buy in bulk the things on sale like the expensive meats which you can freeze for later or the canned or packaged items that will keep a good while.The fresh produce is another issue.The problem is that some people dont think ahead or just cant afford to stock up on a really good sale.
The sad thing is you are screwed if you have kids and need alot of milk and so on.The store brands of cereal are always cheaper than the name brands.If you have a computer you can get alot of coupons to offset the higher prices especially dog and cat food.I have been looking into the coupon thing and have found some good ones and they do add up in savings.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #73
Sous Chef

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14 View Post
I don't do one stop shopping for food. you can really save if you buy your stuff all over. i get my meats at the meat market... everyday prices are like sale prices at the gorcery stores. Boneless chicken breast is 1.39 a pound every day... boneless thighs .89 a pound.
$10.49 A KILO for chicken thighs and $13 a kilo chicken breast...sometimes more expensive, sometime if its round 8.99 a kilo thats a good and nice special price to jump on....
<<insert swear words>>

i think 1 pound = 453.6 grams, which is obviously less than half a kilo
Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 AM   #74
Executive Chef

We buy most of our meat in bulk from a local butcher - half a hindquarter or half a pig - it works out a lot cheaper.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #75
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
$10.49 A KILO for chicken thighs and $13 a kilo chicken breast...sometimes more expensive, sometime if its round 8.99 a kilo thats a good and nice special price to jump on....
<<insert swear words>>

i think 1 pound = 453.6 grams, which is obviously less than half a kilo
Roughly $2.2 kg to a pound. That's $6.50 a pound. Converting to USD gives us about $5.91 pound for chicken breasts!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #76
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
At my butcher in Athens, Greece. I just paid around $9.00 per kilo for bone in chicken breasts.That's $4.50 a pound approx. Ground beef,rump, is $6.90 a pound approx.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
We have the opposite problem - too much water. I jut checked the morning paper - 57.97" of rain so far this year, almost 7" this month. I'm a gardener, so enamored with my flowers, that I never thought of growing food until this year.

We have two planting seasons, spring and autumn. My space is limited. I've now got onions growing besides the roses, lettuce by the amaryllis and radishes in the pot of bougainvilla. I will have failures, just as I do with flowers, but it's a start.
I have friends who grow enough of various lettuces in a wide, shallow container to provide salad greens for their entire family of eight.

We have a raised garden that is about 8 or 9 feet square, divided into 4 squares, and I'm still getting tomatoes from it. A couple of weeks ago, expecting the weather to cool, we planted our fall garden of red and green leaf lettuce, spinach, onions and bok choy.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
The sad thing is you are screwed if you have kids and need alot of milk and so on.
When I was growing up, my parents didn't have a lot of money, so my mom bought dry milk and that's what we became accustomed to. Later, when she started buying fresh milk, I didn't like it at first - didn't taste right In time I got used to it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When I was growing up, my parents didn't have a lot of money, so my mom bought dry milk and that's what we became accustomed to. Later, when she started buying fresh milk, I didn't like it at first - didn't taste right In time I got used to it.
Same here but my mother would mix dry milk and then add whole milk to it at about 1/2 dry to 1/2 regular milk.I still hated it I could still taste the dry milk in it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #80
Executive Chef

My mom did the same thing, and I think most of my friend's moms did. I must say that I hated it, too, jp. I've often wondered if it was strictly a cost saving measure or if it was also believed to be healthier - lower fat and higher protein - because some of my friend's weren't as poor as my family and they had powdered mixed with regular like ours.