"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Master Chef
Are Your Grocery Prices Increasing?

I just got back from my weekly grocery run and once again feel sick about how much I spent! I'm not buying anything out of the ordinary, but it seems like every week, the bill gets a little higher. This week, I noticed that the cheese we normally buy went up 30 cents from last week, and the pasta sauce I buy when I don't make my own jumped a quarter! Milk, around here, is now over $4 for a gallon of skim. Anyone else noticing this lately? What are you doing to try to keep your costs in check?

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
I've seen the same thing. Prices are going up and some container sizes are getting smaller with no reduction in price.

Chuck roast is high for us. I haven't seen a sale on chicken for a while.

I see a big difference in prices among the different market chains.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Miss Baker....I have noticed price jumps over the past several weeks! Other than shopping store ads, and staying away from "convenience" type foods. Buying whole birds, not parts etc, and being creative with leftovers at times is about all I know to do.
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I try to buy meat that is on sale only, watching prices more closely since retiring. Some of our sale items this week are ;
Milk 2.99
Angus tender cube steak 2.99
Fresh pork tenderloin 2.99
Fresh boneless pork sirloin 1.99
Fresh Boneless chicken breast 1.69
How are your prices ?
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Oh definitely increasing. I bought staples rice, pasta, cheese, eggs, milk, nothing special, and it was close to $100 by the time I walked out. I looked at lunch meat and it was about 70 cents higher than it was a month ago. Everything is going up with no explanation. They can't blame gas prices because they've stayed relatively steady (albeit high) for the last couple months. It's like they just decided to raise the prices for no good reason.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Head Chef
$4 for freakin milk. dang its like 3$ here. but then again i dont drink milk. WOW 1.69 for boneless skinless chicken is dang good. Normally its like 2.50 here.
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Master Chef
"Prices increasing" - No they are skyrocketing. My credit card bills are piling up higher and higher and when I look at them all I see is grocery store charges.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef
It's not just your supermarket either...I'm feeling it at work, too. What cost me $5,000 a year ago now cost $6500...and then they add a fuel surcharge on top of it.

What to do?? Make more from scratch, waste nothing.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
i try to buy bulk packages, especially staple meats, from costco. also, cleaning materials, foil and plastic wraps, garbage bags, and other food or kitchen type items.

otherwise, i pretty much try to make the next few days' menu based on what's on sale when i go food shopping. when i see things we consume a lot of, such as iced tea go on sale, i stock up.

in either case, i'm always wary of the date of expiration to the point of o.c.d.. i tend to check everything, even just to get something a few days fresher.

you can't overbuy too much though, because if it ends up going bad before it's used up, then it's worse than just paying full price on a given day.

i've done pretty well lately, snagging lobsters at 7.99/lb and filet mignon at 3.99/lb.

although, it's gotten to the point where we're starting to look at our pets differently...

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
although, it's gotten to the point where we're starting to look at our pets differently...

Just realized your little man is surrounded by parakeets!!!! (I was too busy admiring that handsome boy!)

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote