Asian High Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
I wonder if anyone of you are familiar with 'High Tea' in Asia. In Asian parlance, 'tea' can either be the beverage itself, or a light meal served with tea. This of course is not the same as the English 'Afternoon Tea' where it is basically a light mid-afternoon tea served with sandwiches and cakes. High tea on the other hand can be pretty substantial with various types of appetizers and desserts.

It is generally served in major hotels from 2.30pm to 5.30pm on weekends but sometimes on weekdays as well. For as low as $8 per person you get to sample a light smorgasbord of Asian and western delights along with various brands of tea. Coffee is also served as well. Needless to say, such outlets will serve as a meeting place especially for ladies. IMO this whole affair is good value for money.

Do you have similar types of dining experiences in your place? If not, what do you think of such fare?

I've never heard of Asian "High Tea". I'm an avid tea drinker, (no coffee for me!) and often search out English afternoon tea experiences or just any interesting tea experiences for that matter. There are a few places here in New York in China town where they only serve tea and a menu of all chinese food and some different pastries. I usually get my tea served with a dessert that is toast with condensed milk on it. It's sweet and delicious. I don't think they serve a High tea though. They are better known for their bubble tea but also serve regular black and green tea as well.
I think this will be something for me to look out for though. I love going out for tea.

The English have made 'afternoon tea' their speciality. We in Scotland have 'high tea', which is less popular now than when I was young. One of our favourite treats was to be taken for high tea at Crawfords or Jenner's in Princes Street and to tuck into a high tea. The main difference is that it is more substantial, than the English version, having something like finnan haddie, or Welsh rarebit (or buck rarebit, Welsh and with a poached egg) or Scotch woodcock (no fowl in that dish!), followed by genteel sandwiches and wonderful cakes, served from individual cake stands.

I've been to Jenner's before. It's one of my favorite places to go in Edinburgh. Every time we go to Scotland since I was little, we've gone to Jenner's. I've never been to Crawfords though. Maybe on the next trip.

Sadly, Crawfords, along with other Scottish tea shops like Mackays have gone - overtaken by the fast food places and (whisper it)... Starbucks!

But Jenners and some of the larger hotels like the Balmoral still do real High Teas!

Opinanita, I think the Chinese food and pastries served with tea is what we call "Dim Sum" in Singapore, Hong Kong and China. This array of dishes usually served in carts and trays by the waiters/waitresses are available in some Chinese restaurants during lunch. There is no menu given, you just have to choose from the assortment of steamed and fried dumplings, filled buns, appetizers and desserts among which is the famous egg custard tart.

There is also a type of breakfast consisting of toasted bread with 'kaya', a jam made out of eggs and coconut milk and butter, along with half boiled eggs served with tea/coffee which is the current craze of Singaporeans. Some outlets even serve this throughout the day.

If you ever get the chance to travel to the Far East, look out such eating places.

That is sad to hear Ishbel. I think it's been about 5 years since my last trip to Scotland. I went with my sister, Corazon, and we had a great time. It's upsetting how things are changing like that everywhere.

boufa06 said:
Opinanita, I think the Chinese food and pastries served with tea is what we call "Dim Sum" in Singapore, Hong Kong and China. This array of dishes usually served in carts and trays by the waiters/waitresses are available in some Chinese restaurants during lunch. There is no menu given, you just have to choose from the assortment of steamed and fried dumplings, filled buns, appetizers and desserts among which is the famous egg custard tart.

There is also a type of breakfast consisting of toasted bread with 'kaya', a jam made out of eggs and coconut milk and butter, along with half boiled eggs served with tea/coffee which is the current craze of Singaporeans. Some outlets even serve this throughout the day.

If you ever get the chance to travel to the Far East, look out such eating places.

I've been to Dim Sum in New York which is a huge extravaganza. We sit in a huge room with many tables and get what ever looks interesting from the carts. Maybe these place I was talking about are just tea houses that serves chinese food too. The tea house tends to draw a young crowd. I think those bubble teas are quite popular here. Wow, I just looked the tea house up on line and they have quite a few stores through out the world. Here's the link,
http://www.saints-alp.com.hk/locator/locator_index.html

I was recently in India and the Taj group of hotels where I stayed served high tea and it was modeled after England. There was nothing Asian about it except the fact that I was in India while I savored it.

They served it everyday from 3:30 - 5:00 PM. It was a buffet spread with savories and sweets and most of them were westernized menu items such as canapes, smoked salmon mini sandwiches, crab mousse in tart shells, toasted bread with fresh veggies on it etc.

They also served fresh fruits, soda, assorted cakes, tea and coffee.

I had an opportunity to try it twice. While I enjoyed it the two days I am not a huge fan of it because I prefer to eat an early dinner and having this large snack around 4 PM made me skip my dinner.

I suspect that Singapore has 'adapted' a British tradition, too, Yakuta - just like India. I know that a number of my family were involved in things like rubber plantations and tea plantations in India and other countries in the Far East in generations gone by. They ALL took our British traditions with them, but the traditions were adapted to suit local traditions, too. Our colonial past wasn't all bad!

Your reservations about eating too much at that time of day is why, I suspect, the habit of the Scottish high tea has sadly become almost an anachronism here, too!

Ishbel said:
I suspect that Singapore has 'adapted' a British tradition, too, Yakuta - just like India. I know that a number of my family were involved in things like rubber plantations and tea plantations in India and other countries in the Far East in generations gone by. They ALL took our British traditions with them, but the traditions were adapted to suit local traditions, too. Our colonial past wasn't all bad!
Very true indeed. However, there are still a few remaining places left in Singapore that still serve the traditional English Afternoon Tea.

Back
Top Bottom