ATTN: Professional Chefs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billdolfski

Senior Cook
After thinking about it for years and most importantly, having the opportunity to do so I have decided to go to culinary school.

School starts Sept 24th and of course I've looked at the catalogue for class descriptions but I was curious as to what I will be looking forward to.

Any advice, stories, etc you can tell me from those who have "been there done that?"

EDIT: It seems I've put this in the wrong place, would a mod please move it to somewhere more appropriate? Thx

Last edited:
Was a professional Chef for more years than I want to count and it was worth every cut finger burnt hand,spilled what ever, The joy of feeding your fellow man is awesome
the joy of directing your kitchen is outstanding. The B.S. you put up with to get there
depends on your ability to suck it up when necessary but in the long run I am proud of my profession it has come a long way since I started back in 54, so hang in and learn as much as you can about the business end of the biz.ask questions ever time you think of one have a tough skin and do not let what others say about get to you. I was called more names than I can think of because insted of going out in the parking lot to smoke and drink on duty I sat with the Chef and picked his brain to learn how to make a lot of different dishes or procedutes that you can not get out of a book it was priceless
learn how to work with purvayers, the plumber, the electrican, to get the very best work/price you can get, the food and bevrage person if they are good ask them questions in the long run it will benifit your pocket book and your staure in the culinary community

Sullivan University in Lousiville, KY.

Major in Culinary Arts first, 18 month and then go two more quarters (6 months) and pick up another degree in Baking and Pastry Arts. Both are Associates degrees.

A adendum to my first responce Read Tony Bourdain Book Kitchen Confidential and pay attention to what he says about BIG FOOT. He hit it right on the head, nailed it if you can be just half as good as big foot you will make a ton of gold coin

Don't be intimidated by other classmates who will be more experienced. You'll meet people who will have almost no experience, and people with lots of experience but no formal degree. Some of the people with experience are cool, but others may think they know everything already. They have some good info and hints so you should watch and listen to what they say, but keep an open mind because you'll learn many ways to make the same thing sometimes.

Long time, no see everyone.

Just about to finish my 3rd quarter (Garde Manger). Planning a 7 course meal for my final practical. Decided Baking and Pastry is not for me. Doing well in school, may be able to graduate a quarter early due to classes I've already taken in college.

Don't be intimidated by other classmates who will be more experienced. You'll meet people who will have almost no experience, and people with lots of experience but no formal degree. Some of the people with experience are cool, but others may think they know everything already. They have some good info and hints so you should watch and listen to what they say, but keep an open mind because you'll learn many ways to make the same thing sometimes.

You were spot on about that. There are a lot of idiots... many of them already weeded out, and there are quite a few ppl worth knowing so you can learn a trick or two. Never can have too many contacts in this business.

Sullivan University in Lousiville, KY.

Major in Culinary Arts first, 18 month and then go two more quarters (6 months) and pick up another degree in Baking and Pastry Arts. Both are Associates degrees.

Good school! Hang out with your instructors. You will learn googobs in the off hours. :chef:

oops! just noticed this is not a new thread. Sounds like you are doing well. Have you gotten a job in a local kitchen? Kathy Cary is a friend of mine, and Lily's is a wonderful restaurant... ;)

Many congrats to you. Sounds wonderful.
I am envious and would ask you to report on occasion to let us know how it's going. I know it doesn't start until Sept, but if possible, do your homework so some things don't catch you off guard.
Everyone says it's fun and hard all at once.
Good luck.:clap:

congrats working towards a degree!
my school expects high standards. Chefs will fling stuff across the kitchen at you & Chefs will hug you, & subjects besides cooking. i expect critisism & praise, learning to be extremely respectful, & a stressful day.
that was my schooling. i loved it & can't wait to return.

Last edited:
I've had a Chef that like to yell and throw things, but he'd let you stand right in his face and yell back... so I'm OK with that.

I'm glad with the networking I've made there, I'm not familiar with Kathy Cary.

I'm not working a line right now because it's dog dirt pay and I have bills. Need to be working for the practice though.

Everything is going A-OK.

Any questions?

Back
Top Bottom