August 2nd, 2006 dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
2 charcoal grilled burgers (is 5 days too long?)

I also have more corn on the cob, but we've had it 5 days in a row, and I'm not sure if digestive tracts can handle another night of it, if you know what I mean.

I'd eat 5 day old grilled burgers, and

yes, we know what you mean:ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

Had Italian roast beef in the crock pot, mashed potatoes with butter on top, green beans and cucumbers on the side. For dessert I made us some great big Root Beer floats. Tomorrow night I will take the left over meat and make us some BBQ sandwiches, with sweet corn for the veg. Might have another root beer float. Yummmmy. :rolleyes:

It's in the triple digets here, and let me tell you, it wasn't a pretty sight on the subway today. It seems like all the surrounding cement of the city just amplifys the heat.
I am throwing in some sirloin and stir fry lo mein into the pan and cooking it quickly.

Banana Brain said:
cora, one of those cakes looks an awful lot like a Hawaiin pizza. I thought it was one. What kind of cakes were they and out of curiousity, why did the lucky tyke get two?
There is a peach raspberry & a lemon blueberry cormeal. I scattered the fruit over the top after 15 minutes of baking, so the fruit wouldn't sink. And the lucky tyke got 2 because there were a lot of people there. If I had made some kind of layer cake, I would have just made one but smaller slices for all.

lol urmaniac. Looks like he's turning 16! I know they grow fast but not that fast!

The cakes were great! Light, fruity and not too sweet.

hopefully it wasn't yours bang.

abj, i don't know how you handle the subways this time of year. the steamy heat stinking of urine and body odor is unbelievable.

i drive in the city (and pay through the nose for it), but if i were you i'd at least go in a taxi.

it's only supposed to go down to 84 tonight. :(

well, i wasn't too bright today, having defrosted a chicken that i've wanted to make with a certain recipe. so rather than risk it going bad, i made it.
400 degrees for 2 hours was not a good idea.

with the ac crankin', i still sweated my butt off in the kitchen because i started late and had to hustle to get it done. i can't imagine how chefs, in much hotter conditions, hustle even harder for hours at a time.

the recipe was from lidia's family table. herb roasted chicken and vegetables in a balsamic - honey glaze.
i used a bunch of veggies from the garden: stringbeans, zucchini, carrots, onions, and store bought scallions and celery. they were first sweated in evoo with a 5 " sprig of fresh rosemary and 5 fresh sage leaves, from the herb garden.
then the veggies were placed in the bottom of a baking pan.
a young chicken was washed, dried, heavily s&p'd and sweet paprika inside and out, and a 5"sprig of fresh rosemary, 2 fresh sage leaves, a dried bay leaf, and half a lemon were stuffed inside the boid.
the chicken was placed on a rack which just let it come in contact with the veggies, a can of fat free chicken stock poured over top of the veggies, and the pan was placed in the oven at 425.

after about 30 minutes, the rack with the chicken was lifted, the veggies stirred, a little more stock added, and the chicken on the rack nestled back in the pan. the heat was reduced to 400, and the pan placed back in the oven.

after an hour, the veggies were done, so i lifted the rack again, spooned off the veggies into a serving bowl tented with foil.
the chicken was placed back in the pan, and into the oven at 375, basting with a mix of 3 tbsps of balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsps of honey, and 2 cups of chicken stock, then basting with the pan liquid every 10 minutes after that.
the chicken was finally done after about 2 hours, and had a beautiful mahogany glaze on it.
i made a sauce from the glaze thickened on the bottom of the pan with about a pint of water (white wine woulda been better), scraping the fond then reducing it while the chicken rested about 20 minutes, then served it with the veggies and the pan sauce.

it was really delicious. herby, moist. the veggies were tasty, and just a drizzle of the intense sauce added to it, especially the white meat.

It was just too outrageously hot here yesterday to even think much about dinner.

I ended up poaching 2 boneless skinless chicken breast pieces, & after cooling, cut them into bite-size pieces & mixed them with a couple of handfuls of seedless red grapes cut in half, a handful of walnut pieces, & about 2 tablespoons of mayonaise. Served on a bed of mixed greens.

"There is a peach raspberry & a lemon blueberry cormeal."

Corazon, didn't I just see a recipe for something like that in a newsletter??? (Well...how would you know if i did...but, I did!)

Back
Top Bottom