autocondimentor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaf Storm

Senior Cook
Are you an autocondimentor? This is somebody that puts salt and pepper on their food without checking first that it requires salt or pepper!?

I used to be but now It's quite rare that I put salt on my food. It depends on what it is though :) I mostly do put pepper on my food but not if it already has a lot of pepper in it or it's really spicy food. Anyway, I did use to be one lol Anybody one now? :D

I used to be one but dating a girl who refused to have salt kinda fixed me. A lot of it comes down to weather you are hyper gustative or not (I know Im probably not translating that right but you get the idea).

My roomate kinda annoys me in this sense too... sometimes I'll make something rather delicate or special and before tasting it he will drench it in my "botatina" (a lime based hot sauce) and well inside I feel that whatever I cooked just went down the toilet. You might as well serve the guy damp cardboard if he's gonna drench every thing he eats.

But again, some people have a very sensitive sense of taste (tend to avoid salt, bitters, oil, get's full faster) and some people dont (pre salt or pepper, needs to eat a lot to be satisfied, likes things charred or covers every thing in sharp cheese and bacon).

I'm not... and one of my pet peeves is people that are.

I just hate cooking for someone and then having them salt and pepper my meal before they taste it.
UGH!

I love the word, Leaf! DH and I were just talking about this the other night--my dad salts everything, even before tasting it. And like Lugaru, I do get offended sometimes. I cook something with certain amounts of seasonings for a reason. Just try it first! Then if you need to add a bit of this or that, fine. I think part of his pre-salting comes from the fact that my mom doesn't use much seasoning at all in her cooking so there's a need to add "flavor."

i used to put tons of salt and ketchup on appropriate things, like burgers and fries, but had to stop. found out i had high blood pressure, so i've almost quit salt completely. it's amazing how you can taste the tiniest bit of salt in things when you haven't had any in a while.

I very seldom have added salt, i always taste first. I do tend to head straight for the black pepper, can't get enough! My dh used to be on automatic pilot, but he tastes first now, and just as well. It's insulting when you have spent ages cooking something and people just automatically head for the salt and pepper.

Taste first. Some times you need a little extra, and sometimes adding it is too much.

I never did that ... but I had an Uncle that was a devout autocondimenter until one Thanksgiving when Grandma was assisted by Mom, and her two sisters, who all decided to add an extra dose of salt to everything without tasting it ... because they knew Grandma usually salted with a light hand ... except this year Grandma was determined to salt everything up to Uncle Julian's expectations.

Grandma warned him to taste first - but what did she know .... without a taste he poured on his usual ton-o-salt ..... and then knowing brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, and a card table full of nieces and nephews we watching ... choked down what had to be like eating the Great Salt Lake without a word.

He always tasted everything after that before he "re-seasoned" anything.

I am with many foods. I love salt and pepper. People often comment on how much pepper I put on some foods.

My DH would put salt on salt!! He always said "I salt until it turns white and then pepper until it turns black" Doctor has taken him off of salt and he is suppose to limit water intake to 1 Liter a day. He uses Nu-Salt now.

sorry, couldn't resist another "reminds me of"...

"AutoMom" is the involuntary movement all mothers make when their cars come to a stop at a red light, stop sign, etc. They immediately extend their right arm/hand out to the side to prevent actual or imaginary children in the front passenger seat from mvoing too far forward as the vehicle comes to a stop. I even perform AutoMom on Handy Husband in the (rare) instances when I am driving and he is the passenger.

Back to topic, autocondimentor describes HH very well. He liberally peppers just about everything before he eats it (very proud of himself because he rarely uses salt). Drives me nuts.

Being a turncoat to my species (male) .... they probably like to "see" the black flecks in the food to send "eye-to-brain" confermation that the food is propperly peppered. Try using "white" pepper and see if they notice the difference .....

pdswife1 said:
I'm not... and one of my pet peeves is people that are.

I just hate cooking for someone and then having them salt and pepper my meal before they taste it.
UGH!

Much worse than watching someone S&P their food is dumping catsup all over and filet or prime rib roast.

mudbug said:
sorry, couldn't resist another "reminds me of"...

"AutoMom" is the involuntary movement all mothers make when their cars come to a stop at a red light, stop sign, etc. They immediately extend their right arm/hand out to the side to prevent actual or imaginary children in the front passenger seat from mvoing too far forward as the vehicle comes to a stop. I even perform AutoMom on Handy Husband in the (rare) instances when I am driving and he is the passenger.

Back to topic, autocondimentor describes HH very well. He liberally peppers just about everything before he eats it (very proud of himself because he rarely uses salt). Drives me nuts.

LMAO mudbug! I just did this driving home from work. There was no one in the passenger seat...but boy did I protect that purse of mine! BTW, I am glad you are back...I missed the giggles you give me everyday.

Rarely do I put salt on anything. Recently I ordered French fries at a local restaurant and they had over salted them. They were gross!! I could hardly eat them. Pepper goes on lots of foods that I eat but I always taste the food first. The condiment that I probably overuse the most is taco sauce. It put it on everything: tacos, eggs, sloppy joes, chili, burritos, chip-n-chili pie, etc

I stopped using salt years ago, and now when I dine out and salt is used it tastes TOO salty as a result. I will taste the food first, but I do put salt on potatoes (like fries) and eggs, unless I cook them at home. But I usually taste first. At some restaurants I ask for a sauce they make for fry dipping - red robin their bbq/mayo; McMenamins wasabi/mayo. Then salt is not needed. I use a lot of fresh herbs and spices in my cooking and find most of the time salt is not needed.

I once had a terrible thing, some yutz who sat at the table just before me loosed the caps to the salt shaker, and the cap and about 1/4 cup of salt poured onto my eggs. The server nicely replaced my meal.

Back
Top Bottom