Bad kitchen habits that you continue to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol Sizzlinin, I do the knife trick too.

I do the bare feet and I nibble too. I love that cookie dough too! Only 1 in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella. With that cookie dough tasting so great, I figure the odds are in my favor. :cool:

From what dh tells me, I'm a kitchen destroyer and I use every dish in the house. In my defense, at least my food tastes good. He can use just a couple dishes but it doesn't taste nearly as good as mine. :-p He doesn't even do the dishes. :rolleyes:

Something my husband does, when he makes toast, he'll grab the butter from the fridge and smears the stick over the bread. Too many dishes to use a knife, I guess.

I have all the above and then more, lol! One that I don't think has been mentioned is one from my days in pro kitchens; if I happen to drop a piece of something on the floor, onion skin or something, sometimes it just stays there, 'cause the prep guy was always around to sweep up! Bad, bad habit!

Re the salmonella and tasting - if salmonella were more prevalent, we'd have a whole slew of chefs in the hospital with it, from all the tasting that gets done at -all- stages of prep!:chef:

yep, all of the above.
Mamalady... I leave the things I drop on the floor there too. I know for sure that I'll drop something else before the meal is done...why bend over twice? I'm a very messy cook... I put things away as I'm done using them but...if I spill or drop something it just stays until I'm done with everything else.

I never wear shoes, I eat cookie dough and taste what ever I'm cooking a million times before it's done...

also.. I nibble after the meal is over. I swear I'd be 100 pound smaller if I never did dishes again. I just keep eating. BAD!

I keep getting verbally abused by the laundry department for getting stains on all my shirts while cooking. S.O. (laundry department) bought me a Patriots football apron but I usually forget to wear it.

SizzlininIN said:
When done washing dishes....instead of taking the time to pull out all the crud left in the drainer I shove it down with my finger or a knife............shhhhh don't tell DH.:angel:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I guess I think about this in the long haul.......I will probably outlive my workaholic DH and I don't want to have a stuck drain to deal with by myself, so I am very careful not to send anything down the drain.

And I get the impression that some of you think it is inappropriate to lick beaters, spoons, bowls, whisks, and fingers.... I can't imagine.....that is the only thing my cooking challenged mother taught me.. that I do!! Am a confirmed beater licker,as well as a cookie dough eater, think the odds are on my side with the germs.

and please please please please where shoes in the kitchen when handleing knives, please

Like many of you, I'll frequently cook without shoes. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but in the summer I'll also cook without a shirt. Wouldn't you think, at the very least, the splatters wouldn't surprise me anymore?

I have the wonderful habit of grabing the pans I have just taken out of the oven barehanded, I have the blisters to prove it. I think it is because I am in a hurry.

Ahhh - you guys are funny! :LOL:
Another bare-foot cook here. And I've dropped a knife a time or 2. You oughta see me jump back when I drop something! You'd be shocked & awed! I haven't been hit...yet! If it ever happens, I will whine to all of you & expect you to sympathize!

Kyle says: "One of my bad habits is not getting all my ingredients ready before I start cooking, then I am whirling like a dervish looking for stuff and then finding out I don't have something and having to improvise. But the best dishes are cooked like that aren't they? Necessity being the mother of invention and all that!"

Oh, that is my worst kitchen habit, I think...wouldn't it be nice, especially when you are making a recipe that has SO many ingredients, to have everything ready in tidy little clear glass bowls like they do on TV? My sister and her husband love to cook together, and they always get their ingredients ready before they begin. It does make it more fun - it is frustrating to dig around looking for dried tarragon or having to stop and chop onions, etc. Oh, and I also cook barefooted! And I am MESSY. I just sweep up the floor when I'm done. Karen

i'm a fanatic, since i'm nationally certified 'bout food-safety. my kitchen is clean!

I mix up the peanut butter with the jelly. For that reason, I've bought one of those jars with pbj already in there. It isn't that good though.

oh, where to begin?

I cannot stand wearing shoes in my home..for that matter, I don't know anyone other than people visiting the first time who don't take their shoes off in the foyer. I cook barefoot all the time.
I leave knives in the sink, buried beneath pans. (admittedly, I only do this if I am also washing.)
I have defrosted a frozen duck on the counter overnight.
I put glass containers in the fridge.
I have been known to eat outside the 'safe' temperature zone.

Funny thing is, I'm certified in food safety and sanitation. I never do these things at work, but at home, I seem to have a better grasp on what I can safely get away with.

And, for what it's worth, I've poured hot coffee into mugs, sugared and creamed them, walked upstairs with one in each hand....IN THE NUDE!
So there!!!!:-p

Oh man. Okay... barefoot walker, bowl and beater licker, nibbler, yes another raw cookie dough eater too. And I drink juice out of the jugs. Bad I know ! But I promise if any of you visit me I won't do it !!!!

middie

middie said:
Oh man. Okay... barefoot walker, bowl and beater licker, nibbler, yes another raw cookie dough eater too. And I drink juice out of the jugs. Bad I know ! But I promise if any of you visit me I won't do it !!!!

Yea, I drink out of the containers, too.

You mean we're not supposed to lick the beaters??

corazon90 said:
lol Sizzlinin, I do the knife trick too.

I do the bare feet and I nibble too. I love that cookie dough too! Only 1 in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella. With that cookie dough tasting so great, I figure the odds are in my favor. :cool:

From what dh tells me, I'm a kitchen destroyer and I use every dish in the house. In my defense, at least my food tastes good. He can use just a couple dishes but it doesn't taste nearly as good as mine. :-p He doesn't even do the dishes. :rolleyes:

Something my husband does, when he makes toast, he'll grab the butter from the fridge and smears the stick over the bread. Too many dishes to use a knife, I guess.
Oh yes, whenever I make cookies I eat about ten cookies worth of dough.

And I didn't realize that it was a bad habit to be barefoot in your own house? Please people, its not wrong to take your socks off sometime and let your feet breath.

skilletlicker said:
I'm only mildly surprised to learn I'm the only one dumb enough to cook shirtless.:blush:

Hey, my partner Cristiano roams around and also cooks in the kitchen in an even more extreme state than being just shirtless, especially on a hot day of summer, and sometimes I have to remind him that our fussy neighbours may be able to see through the window....:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom