Bad kitchen habits that you continue to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We all have them. Bad habits. We know the right way to do something, but for whatever reason we continue to do things the wrong way.

My worst kitchen habit is that I wear my Birkenstocks (open toed sandals) when I am using my knives. I do not purposely put them on of course, but if that is what I am wearing at the moment then I do not change. I have also been known to cook barefoot. Every time I do this I picture myself dropping my 10" chefs knife point down right on my foot and I know it is a terribly stupid thing that I am doing, but I continue to be stupid. I am sure it will take a trip the the emergency room to change that habit.

What about you?

I'm afraid I've never grown up, and I still get a buzz out of licking the beaters and spoons, and using my fingers to lick out the bowls!!

I dropped a can of lager on my bare foot the other day. Boy did that hurt. All my toes went funny. I certainly wouldn't recomend doing it with a 10'' knife! Put your shoes on.

I have this really bad habit of tossing stuff into the trash can from 6 - 10' away. I don't always sink the bucket, so to speak.

Um, I always hang out inside my house barefooted, kitchen included... never gave it a thought but now you guys are reminding me it could be a dangerous habit!!:ohmy: Well, it is true, the similar thing that I wouldn't work out with free weights barefooted. Luckily nothing has happened to my vulnerable feet as yet, but maybe it is a worthy consideration to put on at least a pair of slippers...

I'm right up there with you other barefoot kitchen roamers! I hate wearing shoes in the house & only recently started wearing them outside (I was tired of getting fire ant bites on my toes). I have dropped knives, scissors, cans, & many other things very close to my feet. Luckly I haven't been hurt yet.

My other bad kitchen habit is that when I'm cooking for just my family, I nible on what I'm cooking. Then I'm not hungry when it's time to eat. I don't do this when I'm cooking for company or taking food somewhere. I just don't have the desire to do it then.

Daisy, I'd lick the beaters & stuff too but my kids get them before I get a chance to!:rolleyes:

I figure if I drop something it will most likely hit the counter, but if it's glass and it's heading for the floor I will try to catch it with my instep (sort of like a soccer player does with a ball) to keep it from breaking when it hits the floor.

OMG, I do everyone of the above.... barefoot except when I was working, but at home - always!!

"Basketballing" with the grossest, slimy, goopy items was always the most fun!!! I guess cooks are a little sicko, eh??:rolleyes:

My husband thinks I should wear steel-toed work boots! :LOL:
I have no feeling in my feet, at least not from the outside-in, so I'm always banging them around. Once I dropped a package of frozen hamburger on an already twice broken toe, and broke it again for the third time.

When it comes to bad kitchen habits, I guess my worst is that I'm a taster, and I don't use a clean spoon every time. I keep my little tasting spoon on a paper plate alongside the big stirring spoon.
But then, I cook for my family and friends, and we all hug and slobber all over each other anyway.

Last edited:
Not going barefoot in the kitchen....hmmmmm never occured to me. Oh well I'll risk it. I'm a barefoot kind of gal in the house, except in the winter I wear socks.

I over stuff the garbage can and that gets on DH's nerves ..... I guess its the frugal person coming out thinking we need to get our monies worth out of those trash bags.

When done washing dishes....instead of taking the time to pull out all the crud left in the drainer I shove it down with my finger or a knife............shhhhh don't tell DH.:angel:

In the summer I have to look for my shoes from time to time. yes, I too have the bad habit of walking inn the kitchen barefoot. Funny it never occured to me how dangerous it is until I saw this thread. With my kids around I guess I have to do something about it if they are to learn from me.I have an annoying habit of singing in the kitchen while cooking. It usually annoys those in the kitchen with me, but I don't mind, I love having the kitchen to myself.

Another barefooter here. I never even thought about it, until I just read this thread!

But, I am waayy too hot-blooded (I'm always the hot one. Can we turn the a/c down?) to not take my shoes off as soon as I get into the house. So, I doubt that's gonna change.

Other than that..... I'm bad about washing my good knives right away. They sometimes sit in the sink for quite a while before I finally clean them and put them away. I know it's bad for them, but sometimes I just get lazy! Bad me. :(

I am a barefoot, nibbler! Oh the shame... I also tend to really get into my cooking, which makes for a pretty messy kitchen. However I am getting better at the whole 'clean as I go ' thing.

jkath said:
nibbler here too, but moreso, a devout raw chocolate chip cookie dough eater.

Never had a bout with salmonella? All this spoon/beater licking and raw dough nibbling could result in a major hug with that porcelain bowl.

But hey, life's a risk. Go for it.:)

Last edited:
I always wear shoes when handling knives or handling heat - I'm a bit paranoid about that! In fact I keep a pair of shoes by the kitchen door for me to put on!

One of my bad habits is not getting all my ingredients ready before I start cooking, then I am whirling like a dervish looking for stuff and then finding out I don't have something and having to improvise. But the best dishes are cooked like that aren't they? Necessity being the mother of invention and all that!

I used to be a nibbler of raw dough etc (now I don't bake) must have done that for over 20 years, and I never contracted salmonella.......cast iron tummy!

Back
Top Bottom