"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Hello, DramaQueen:

Oops! Got that wrong, then! Just goes to show how your eyes can deceive you - they looked quite big..

Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #22
Head Chef

I like Ina as well. She prepares dishes I would & have made at home (shrimp dish & lemon cake), and an easy-going personality. Haven't watched FN in awhile, but noticed I didn't see her shows air as often as other FN "stars." Maybe it was the time slot. I seem to recall, some of her recipes are only available on FN's site for a limited time. Don't quite understand the policy. Noticed she has a website & is selling/marketing pantry items and such. Will take a longer look when I have the time.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i don't want to sound cranky or too negative, but her shows irritate me.

there's something about her "everything's perfect and so easy" way of living a seemingly spoiled and rich life that just gets under my skin. sort of a "martha stewart" effect, i guess. not that she seems to be a dragon lady like martha, but it's that sort of aloof snobbery that pervades.

who knows, she might be a wonderful person in real life, but i can't watch the show.
She IS a lovely person. I've met her and she is charming and not at all impressed with herself. Cooking comes easily to her, as does working in front of a camera, and I think she feels she's encouraging her viewers when she makes it look easy. It IS easy, after all... the food most people like to eat best is not fussy nor hard to prepare. So she lives in the Hamptons. that doesn't make her aloof and snobby. She just isn't.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've always enjoyed watching her. Her Lemon Chicken is wonderful!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
She IS a lovely person. I've met her and she is charming and not at all impressed with herself. Cooking comes easily to her, as does working in front of a camera, and I think she feels she's encouraging her viewers when she makes it look easy. It IS easy, after all... the food most people like to eat best is not fussy nor hard to prepare. So she lives in the Hamptons. that doesn't make her aloof and snobby. She just isn't.
The Hamptons!?!? Oh no good can come of living in the Hamptons!!!

J/K, Now I am kinda intrigued so I will try and make a point to watch her show next time it is on, DW still says it is a good show so maybe I should listen to my better half!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i don't want to sound cranky or too negative, but her shows irritate me.

there's something about her "everything's perfect and so easy" way of living a seemingly spoiled and rich life that just gets under my skin. sort of a "martha stewart" effect, i guess. not that she seems to be a dragon lady like martha, but it's that sort of aloof snobbery that pervades.

who knows, she might be a wonderful person in real life, but i can't watch the show.
me to buckytom, the tone of voice she uses when she says "use really good vanilla" makes me nuts. doesn't she think people use what they can afford. and who are all those men, constantly on the show doing flowers. lol

sorry everyone else, she is one i will turn off especially if it is a re run.

babe
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #27
Master Chef

I don't think it is reasonable to only have shows that cater to the poor, or only middle class, or only the wealthy. So, I guess I expect FN to have a broad range of shows catering to all kinds of people across the country, its in their interest.
DW and I are on a budget, so we get our inspiration from shows with cheap cooking or using more affordable ingredients. But we also like to watch some of the more gourmet shows, some for entertainment, and some because occasionally we splurge and do buy gourmet ingredients for a special meal.
In the end, though, we remind ourselves that it is just entertainment, and we either choose to 'poke fun' at a show or choose to watch attentively and learn, or choose not to watch cause it just aint our style of show.
But I can't for the life of me remember taking any of them personally or actually bothering with it enough to 'hate' someone or their show. Although I have moved RR from the 'like it' to 'entertaining fluff' to 'time to poke fun' category, LOL. I mean, seriously, if I was her DH I would kidnap her for a few days just so I could get some quality time in!! She needs to slow down and dump a couple of her 'projects' so she can spend more time with him but that is JMHO...

EDIT: Or rather, shows that cater from the beginner cook to the chef I guess would be more appropriate put perhaps.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I would still recommend trying an "Ina" recipe if it sounds like something you might enjoy, even if you aren't a fan. I think she also has some good techniques.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
If they film at her home the yard is beautiful as is her home..It's lovely but makes you feel comfortable..I find the show makes me feel as if I were in a friends kitchen helping..I've made some of her recipes and find them easy to do and the ingredients easy to find...She reminds me of a good friend.Where she lives has nothing to do with anything..She worked hard for what she has and is entitled to live as she likes..You know, like them or not, these chefs,cooks personalities are human being just like us..Each one has something to offer if we let ourselves be shown..What they look ,sound and dress like has nothing to do with it..Enjoy and learn

kadesma
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #30
Head Chef

[quote=babetoo;590264]me to buckytom, the tone of voice she uses when she says "use really good vanilla" makes me nuts. doesn't she think people use what they can afford. and who are all those men, constantly on the show doing flowers. lol

babe[/quote

Most of the men on her show are gay. Ina is very big in the gay community and does a lot of work for gay rights.

As for the vanilla, I too recommend using " really good vanilla." Sometimes you gotta go for the gold. It makes a difference.