Beer and Beef--the best of both worlds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Iowa cattle lapping up beer-spiked fodderFarmers adding beer to feed, hoping to raise better bovines

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:57 a.m. ET Dec. 22, 2004

NORWAY, Iowa - Cattlemen are hoping to raise a better bovine with beer. About a dozen eastern Iowa farmers have been spiking their cattle feed with beer. So far, the herds are lapping it up, said cattlemen Robert Miller.

They like it so much that they hesitate to eat when their feed isn't mixed with beer, Miller said.

It began about a year ago when an official at Fleck Sales, a Cedar Rapids beer distributor, contacted Fisher's Feed and Fertilizer in Norway, a small town southeast of Cedar Rapids.

The company asked if the feed business would like to get free beer which had outlived its shelf life, not for its workers but to mix in with its feed, said Jack Fisher, the feed company's owner.

Fisher said research shows that beer has vitamins, minerals, amino acids, carbohydrates and proteins, which all benefit cattle's diet.

Beer is commonly used in cattle feed in Japan and Canada. The animals' complex digestive system breaks down the alcohol in beer, turning it into food energy, animal nutritionists said.

Fisher took Fleck Sales up on its offer and now the beer is emptied into 5-gallon buckets which are taken to feedlots where the beer is given away. He laughed when asked if he and his friends ever test the free shipments.

"We have to make sure it's safe for the cattle," he said.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6745340

PA Baker said:
They like it so much that they hesitate to eat when their feed isn't mixed with beer, Miller said.

i know how that feels!! :D

5 gallon buckets? hmmmm, sounds about right...

LOL! 5 gallon buckets? That's a bender if I ever heard one! Then again, I have been known to guzzle large quantities if the mood is right. :roll: I bet those are some really happy cows! :LOL:

[quote="PA BakerIt began about a year ago when an official at Fleck Sales, a Cedar Rapids beer distributor, contacted Fisher's Feed and Fertilizer in Norway, a small town southeast of Cedar Rapids.[/quote]

Can you imagine what it would be like if it was your job to answer this business's phone? "Good morning, Fisher's Ferd and Feedelizer ... I mean, Feedle's Fish and Fertilizer ... Ferdle's Feed and Fishelizer ... "

Cats

Darn it!

Another "secret of Canadian Beef" slips over the border!

Lifter

I cook with beer (love cooking with any alcohol, enhances flavor) but feeding it to the bovines, might be interesting. Hope they do not get to bombed and get into a stampede. Can you imagine the headlines.

Norge, did you hear about the village in India that got trampled after a herd of elephants broke into their beer supply and drank it all? If not, I'll hunt down the article for you. It's funny but it's not, if you know what I mean!

DampCharcoal said:
Norge, did you hear about the village in India that got trampled after a herd of elephants broke into their beer supply and drank it all? If not, I'll hunt down the article for you. It's funny but it's not, if you know what I mean!

Thanks, DC. I had not heard of that.

Okay, I found the article but it contains details that I had not heard and trust me, the story is not funny at all. If you REALLY want the link let me know.

DampCharcoal said:
Okay, I found the article but it contains details that I had not heard and trust me, the story is not funny at all. If you REALLY want the link let me know.

Maybe I should pass on the details and take your word for it, t hanks DC

Back
Top Bottom