"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Actually, beer and ice cream go together quite nicely. If you doubt try to make a beer milkshake just as you would make a milkshake with any carbonated soft drink. I've used vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

I first tried one after reading John Steinbeck's "Tortilla Flat". In Chapter 17, Doc on his way to La Jolla stops in Ventura and has a beer milkshake.

I had my first in Washington, D.C. in the early 1970's. I have one several times a year.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Master Chef

Well, the other night at the local Japanese restaurant I was slugging down the remainder of my Sapporo while downing my Green Tea ice cream & didn't roll over & die. Although I can't say I would have chosen the pairing.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmmmmmmmm... dont' think it's for me.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

What will they come up with next....
eveenend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I don't even like beer-tasting beer let alone ice cream-tasting beer - I'll pass on the flavor but will come for the ride (sure I can find something I like there!)
Old 04-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I was in the store today and found my wife over by the Ben and Jerry's freezer (she says she likes to visit her friends). Well lo and behold I saw the new Black and Tan ice cream so of course I had to buy it.

For those that are nervous about trying it, don't be. It does not taste anything at all like beer and it is not made with any beer. On the cover it says it is a cream stout ice cream with a chocolate ice cream swirl. The cream stout part is very light tan in color and just tastes very sweet and creamy. The chocolate swirl is dark brown and delicious.

Overall this is a good flavor. It is not one of their better ones, but it is still good. Don't be scared of it. Give it a try.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Sounds interesting...Chubbier Hubby ...
OMG ... wine out the nose!

I have to say that I love Ben & Jerry ... When I first moved to Portland to go to school, I was so lonely. Down the block, however, was a Ben & Jerry's ice cream shop. It was actually half way between a classmates house and my apartment and we would meet regularly for therapy with our 2 best friends. Coming from dairy land, it was wonderful ...

GB, I am sad that there is no actual beer in the process ... False advertising? hmmmmm ... Such a good idea. I may have to try the milkshake idea this summer or maybe a beer float. A little Lienies Dark and vanilla anyone?