"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Question Best Cajun dish

whats the best cajun dish you have ever had,mines gotta be jambalya,I love that stuff...

kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Contest Winner
I cant just choose one dish, I have to go for a whole cajun meal. The best I had was at this cajun place here in town: I had THE BEST spicy BBQ/garlic prawns, hush puppies, red beans and rice, and cabbage coleslaw. Yummmmmmmmmmy.

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Executive Chef
I m with you KimBaby I love a good jambalaya especially one that has a lot of shrimp.I once worked at a restaurant in Taos New Mexico when it first opened, it was called Carls Cajun food and Koscher Deli.I kid you not. he had a full blown kosher deli with the pastrami and corned beef etc for sandwiches and Cajun food.My job was to make the jabalaya.gumbo,shrimp artichoke bisque,etouffee,red beans and rice all of that stuff.On top of that I made the french bead,Key Lime Pie,Chocolate cake and Jalapeno Cheese rolls.
I thought it was a really great concept for a restaurant.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
my favorite is defintiely jambalaya, i love andouille (sp?) sausage. but i have to agree with grumblebee about taking an entire cajun meal. I've never worked up the guts to prepare one myself, but the red beans and rice are defintely a staple, BBQ rib tips, jalapeno corn bread, gumbo, are all fantastic. i think i would be right at home in the big easy.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Cajun is a style of food I love. With influences that are from seamingly everywhere. Great Jambalaya is always great but when I visited Louisiana some years back I had a sandwich called a Muffaleta (sp?). It was a bit of a Dagwood with green olives and variuos types of meat, YUMMMMMYY. The shrimp Po' Boy was also an early afternoon favorite. There were also these fried potatoe puff looking things that are also excellent.
Bryan Knox
What if the the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Cook
My favorite Cajun food it the kind you eat... 'nuff said.
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Master Chef
I'd have to say seafood gumbo. Or "Mighty Right Gumbo" as Little Feat calls it.
There were some other wonderful dishes I ate when I lived on the bayou that I cannot duplicate here. One was a crawfish bisque, made by Naomi, my neighbor's housekeeper. It was pink in color, and very rich...probably had cream in it.
Another was a dish I ate at a restaurant in Thibideaux. It was a blackened red snapper stuffed with seafood dressing, and it was to die for.
And then there was the little tavern at the end of a road out in the middle of the swamp. There, I ate wonderful turtle stew, turtle soup, and BIG frog legs.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
my favourite cajun dish is called new orleans crawfish pasta "le ruth's", from here: http://www.parkandorchard.com/dinner.html

it is linguini tossed with tons of crawfish tails, in a creamy alfredo-like sauce of garlic, tomatoes, scallions, herbs, and hot spices.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Executive Chef
was taught gumbo making by a real cajun lady...this was a fine fish gumbo, we all ate ourselves silly that day. Now even though I have personalized the dish a bit with some shellfish and sausage cause many of my dinner guests would balk at fish only, for myself, I like to return to the original...and yes I do include okra...don't like it? pick it out! or go eat at Popeyes.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Head Chef
Give Me Gumbo!!!!! Visited New Orleans - went out to dinner w/ DH I ordered shrimp - he had to convince the waiter to serve them to me! He finally said "she's a big girl - she can handle it!" Well not only were they huge and whole - they still had their "feelers" and they were long! I dream about that dinner - it was heaven! The sauce .... indescribeable (sp)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote