Better than Champagne - and cheaper.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DramaQueen

Head Chef
I'm about to do a blog about something I discovered a couple of days ago. I'm not the first, by any means, but I wanted to share something with you in time for New Year's Eve.
I decided to have mimosas for my Christmas morning family brunch and when I asked my wine guy for a champagne that wasn't too dry, he recommened Prosecco instead. He said it was a sparkling wine, from Italy, not very dry and far cheaper than champage. Well it was wonderful. This particular brand was what he recommended because it was a good quality and had sufficient "bubbling." and it turned out to be everything he said it was. No one that I know will be able to tell it isn't champagne. And it "pops" just as loud when opening. I paid $14.00 for this bottle. Makes mimosas affordable and oh so good. I poured this glass to take the picture and had to make a mimosa with it.

Attachments

• Prosecco 003.jpg
    Prosecco 003.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 229
Yes, I have found prosecco to be cheaper than most champanges and just as good if not better.

Prosecco and Cava both fit the bill (or less bills) if all you want is an easy drinking bubbly. Call me a Champagne snob (I can take it), I just wouldn't say "better than".

Now, if you can get your hands on some Francois Montand (and it's even from France) it's around $13.99 or so, depending on where you get it, it's got some great French qualities to it without being in that high-priced Champagne region. I'm too lazy to walk over and look at a bottle to know where it comes from in France :blush:

But, I completely agree! Prosecco is a beautiful product! You'll find some with some light floral notes that scream Sunday morning breakfast in bed! Just make sure that whatever you buy is made in the:

Champagne Method
Methode Traditionnelle
Traditional Method

...or something close to that, you'll know it's made in the Champagne method and not just injected with CO2.

...sorry, the "wine shop girl" comes out in me! :LOL:

Also, if you don't have a traditional champagne stopper you can simply leave it open in the fridge without ill effects, for a couple days. Just don't move the bottle much. With a traditional champagne stopper I have had plenty of bubbles left after 10 days!

Last edited:
You should have Champange Snob or Officiando as your title KE!!! Thanks for the tips!

DH was kind enough to get me two bottles of Moet & Chandon Imperial Rose.... oh my!

I saw this on the Today show the other day, they said this was becoming a very popular brand these days. That is one of my New years day traditions, mimosas'! I love them.

Back
Top Bottom